Blasts from the Past

    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 7, 2013

      Besides the 1961 American Republican Army destruction  already covered in this forum, here are couple of strike related explosions in 1955:

      Chester SC L3 Main:

      http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1697&dat=19550501&id=JsAaAAAAIBAJ&sjid=w0UEAAAAIBAJ&pg=7000,2290535

      Greensboro aerial cable & K station:

      http://www.newspapers.com/newspage/4130902/

      Message 2 of 13 , May 5, 2014
        Photos of this Chester L main station damage:

        http://store.historicimages.com/products/rrx11407
        Message 3 of 13 , May 5, 2014
          On 5/5/14 3:20 PM, ozob99@... wrote:

          > Photos of this Chester L main station damage:
          >

          > http://store.historicimages.com/products/rrx11407

          Have we discussed this attack before?
        • cpe122
          Message 4 of 13 , May 8, 2014
            While we mostly likely have the "Greensboro" location on file, I'm seeing how to tell which one it was.

            It doesn't look like we have a location for Chester, SC.

            Any help folks can provide would be welcome.

            c.

            ---In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, <ozob99@...> wrote :

            Besides the 1961 American Republican Army destruction already covered in this forum, here are couple of strike related explosions in 1955:

            Chester SC L3 Main:

            http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1697&dat=19550501&id=JsAaAAAAIBAJ&sjid=w0UEAAAAIBAJ&pg=7000,2290535

            Greensboro aerial cable & K station:

            http://www.newspapers.com/newspage/4130902/

          • Dennis
            Message 5 of 13 , May 9, 2014
              Here's the direct link to that picture, without having to navigate through
              their thumbnail

              http://i.imgur.com/lt6b8gn.jpg

              Thanks...
              -Dennis

              Message 6 of 13 , May 9, 2014
                I have no personal knowledge of Chester but it was a manned location from? to 1979 at least; so it was probably a route maintenance reporting location and/or a junction.A junction seems likely since a radio shot to Chapin appears after 1960, replaced by a shot to Ridgeway by 1979; but I don't know if the tower was an adjacent building, or down the road, or a L main building addition?
              • Dexter McIntyre W4DEX
                Message 7 of 13 , May 9, 2014
                  ozob99@... [coldwarcomms] wrote:

                  > I have no personal knowledge of Chester but it was a manned location
                  > from? to 1979 at least; so it was probably a route maintenance
                  > reporting location and/or a junction.

                  I haven't been following this thread but I do know a bit about Chester,
                  Chapin and Ridgeway. Stanfield was once the alarm center for much of SC
                  and NC. Some stations were even still alarmed with C1 during the 70s.
                  A used C1 scanning bay was installed at Stanfield to scan some of the
                  stations that hadn't been converted to E2. I believe Chester and Chapin
                  were some of those at least until changed to E2 if they ever were.
                  Chapin was a reporting maintenance center and I believe we reported
                  Chester alarms to Chapin.

                  Ridgeway was on the Stanfield to Columbia TD3 route installed in the
                  early 70s. The repeaters were Alton NC, Hanging Rock SC and Ridgeway.
                  A while before turning this route down I maintained Stanfield and
                  Alton. I don't recall ever visiting Hanging Rock or Ridgeway but I have
                  been to Chester. I know there once was a 11 GHz path there, probably
                  for SC ETV. I have been using the EW90 elliptical waveguide removed
                  from Chester on 10 GHz for the past 15 years.

                  Dex
                • bd6xray
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 9, 2014
                    Chester SC at 34 38 19, -81 08 33 ? This was an AT&T tower until 2002.

                    Al Hajny

                  • cpe122
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 11, 2014
                      I think this may be from a different event (three days apart). The original newspaper article is from The Park City Daily News, Bowling Green, KY (May 1, 1955). It reports the Atlanta AP newswire of the previous day (April 30) of the Chester, S.C. station. Presumably this translates into an (Atlanta?) HQ press release picked up by AP. The first sentence of the article eludes to the fact this is not the first blast.

                      The photos are marked April 27, 1955 Floridale, Florida (a no where place in the pan handle) and says 'here'.
                      I think 'here' is HERE: http://goo.gl/maps/qKZoy http://goo.gl/maps/qKZoy (30.677496,-86.847747).

                      /cpe

                      http://goo.gl/maps/qKZoy

                    • Dexter McIntyre W4DEX
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 13, 2014
                        bd6xray@... [coldwarcomms] wrote:

                        > Chester SC at 34 38 19, -81 08 33 ? This was an AT&T tower until 2002.
                        >
                        > Al Hajny

                        That doesn't look like an AT&T site to me Al.

                        I need to correct a post I made earlier about Chester. I'm afraid the
                        memory is slipping. The tower that I mentioned about having had a 11
                        GHz SC ETV link was Kershaw SC instead of Chester. I don't recall ever
                        visiting Chester. While looking at the coordinates you posted I started
                        looking for Kershaw which I did not find. I was thinking the tower was
                        on highway 9 but I'm likely mistaken.

                        Dex
                      • bd6xray
                        Message 11 of 13 , May 13, 2014
                          OK Dex, I have two for Kershaw.

                          The "regular" LL site at 34 33 03, -80 37 20 on Hwy 75, about 1-1/2 mile west of the city, and a Southern Bell with both 4 and 11 GHZ at
                          34 37 41, -80 33 13 about 5 miles NNE of the city.

                          Al Hajny

                        • Dexter McIntyre W4DEX
                          Message 12 of 13 , May 13, 2014
                            bd6xray@... [coldwarcomms] wrote:

                            > OK Dex, I have two for Kershaw.
                            >
                            > The "regular" LL site at 34 33 03, -80 37 20 on Hwy 75, about 1-1/2
                            > mile west of the city, and a Southern Bell with both 4 and 11 GHZ at
                            > 34 37 41, -80 33 13 about 5 miles NNE of the city.

                            Thanks Al,

                            The second one is the only Kershaw site I knew of. On highway 903
                            instead of highway 9 as I was thinking. Maybe it was Southern Bell
                            before divestiture.

                            Dex
                          • bd6xray
                            Message 13 of 13 , May 13, 2014
                              Streetview on Hwy 903 shows some horns laying on the front lawn.