Western K Stations on Google Maps

    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 2, 2013
      I don't recall seeing these posted, & not in archive with these URL's; on behalf of  "John":

      https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&gl=us&ptab=2&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=200059155136210088534.0004522b013c907339ae9

      https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&gl=us&ptab=2&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=200059155136210088534.0004535da40baf5dc1298

      https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&gl=us&ptab=2&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=200059155136210088534.000453bb894d44908fcae

      https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&gl=us&ptab=2&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=200059155136210088534.000454964f9be75bf3baa

      https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=107330490390108839203.000453bbc87132b4b9ddb

    • cpe122
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 3, 2013
        Wow.  I spent most of the day yesterday "desk checking" all of this; there is still a lot to "digest"!

        Or is this something you found online?  Too bad we can't update/fix the Google maps.  Do you have access to John?  I'm guessing that's the same John Roe that whose photos we linked to in GPSv.  While some folks have understandably grumbled about the GPSv maps I've posted not being static, they do avoid the google map problem of not be fresh each time one's posted.   As far as Nebraska is concerned folks on the list independently derived all but (the proper) Grand Island and Omaha offices; here is the GPSv link (who the embedded photo links):

        http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/display/1383489116-15873-70.16.73.11.html

        For the sake of list posterity, here are some corrections and suggestions:

        - D St (County Road 34),Bushnell,NE,Bushnell,41.23468,-103.90208 (correct coord)
        - Mi 74/Rd 143,Lodgepole,NE,Lodgepole,41 06 41,-102 41 13 (correct location)
        - 1621-1699 N P Rd,Aurora,NE,Aurora,40.92299,-98.01729 (correct location)
        - 4684-4690 Bluff Rd,Utica,NE,Utica,40.91771,-97.35917 (correct location)
        - 11091-11097 S 168th St,Chalco,NE,Chalco,41.14852,-96.17722 (correct location and name--Gretna looks more like L3 carrier)

        /cpe

        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 3, 2013
          Once again list members have found most of Wyo; many thanks to Al, RJFrank, Packy and those before us.  Still missing and/or unconfirmed (in pink) are: "Green River", "Rock Springs", "Rawlins", "Laramie" and "Cheyenne" (note names are quotes as we don't have a Map 5 old enough to show the actual names given, though some are pretty obvious).

          www.gpsvisualizer.com/display/1383490351-17082-70.16.73.11.html

          Ignore the black and brown TBD's, they probably shouldn't be here, we don't what they are about yet.

          Here are some notes, corrections and suggestions to the Google map:

          - Laramie,WY is a good guess, we had nothing on that.
          - Off Old Lincoln Hwy,Church Butte,WY,TBD (Church Butte),"41°29'58.73""N","110° 8'17.52""W",RJFrank-colwarcomms msg #27659 (correct location)
          - WY 412,Urie,WY,TBD (Urie),41.36803,-110.34529 (correct location and name)
          - County Road 180 via Leroy Exit,Ragan,WY,TBD (Ragan),41.26916,-110.6527 (missing)
          - 314 Yellow Creek/County Road 151,Evanston,WY,TBD (Evanston),41.24737,-110.97674 (missing)

          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 3, 2013

            Thanks to Blake and others we had Mo. too.  Notes, etc. wrto the google map:

            - We now have Taussig thanks to RJFrank: 13019 Boenker Ln,Bridgeton,MO,Taussig (K),38.76356,-90.44656

            - We have O'Fallon: 1376 West Terra Ln,O'Fallon,MO,O'Fallon (K),38.80699,-90.73999

            - Wright City Main (RS) is a bank now.  Linked to online photo in GPSv.

            - Jonesburg, photo online (correct name, see Map 6)

            - "Kingdom City" RS is gone now!  Good thing someone got photos when they did.

            - "Shaw"/Columbia E photo online

            - Unknown is: US 40/Rt 240,Midway (Missouri),MO,TBD "Midway?" (K),38.98969,-92.50309

            - Unknown is: 804 Main St,Boonville,MO,Boonville (VF K),38.97054,-92.74227.  Photo.

            - Aullville (RS) (correct name for Concordia, atleast on the microwave network).  Photo.

            - "Odessa", photo.

            - We're still missing the one between Kansas City and "Odessa".

            - Still don't have proper address/correct address for KSC.

            - Ditto for St. Louis.

            GPSv map with photo links: www.gpsvisualizer.com/display/1383496825-22785-70.16.73.11.html

                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 3, 2013

                  Excellent -- new material!  The approx. location of "Windsor" is quite likely somewhat too far north; educated guess below (maybe someone can check GE).

                  http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/display/1383530642-19128-70.16.73.11.html

                  This appears to be Denver's "uplink" to what I think was the first transcontinental cable.  It looks like Denver was on a transcon open wire, but the transcon cable passed substantially further north through Wyo.

                  /cpe

                  ---In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, <coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                  I don't recall seeing these posted, & not in archive with these URL's; on behalf of  "John":

                  https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&gl=us&ptab=2&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=200059155136210088534.0004522b013c907339ae9

                  https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&gl=us&ptab=2&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=200059155136210088534.0004535da40baf5dc1298

                  https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&gl=us&ptab=2&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=200059155136210088534.000453bb894d44908fcae

                  https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&gl=us&ptab=2&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=200059155136210088534.000454964f9be75bf3baa

                  https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=107330490390108839203.000453bbc87132b4b9ddb

                • msttc68
                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 7, 2013

                    The Windsor, CO, K hut was seemingly "out in the middle" of a wheat field.  Two parallel dirt paths passed north-south about 50 feet west of the hut.  These paths are now paved and are named Larimer County Road 1 and Weld County Road 13 - one road with two names, otherwise known as County Line Road.

                    When I first saw the hut in the later 1960's, it was farmer's brick tractor shed... but I knew it had to be something more important once.  I think I noticed that it was demolished/gone by about 1995.

                    In your map:

                    I believe your marker pin is about 7000 feet too far north.   Using a 1999 version of Google Earth, I can see that the soil is lighter colored about 700 feet south of Kaplan Drive.  This is where the cable most closely approaches the county road.

                    Yes, Denver was on an open wire transcon route before the K-carrier arrived.  In fact, it was the original 1915 transcontinental route with 3 voice grade circuits from New York City to San Francisco.  I have a copy of the route map from the Mountain States Telephone & Telegraph Company 1915 Annual Report .  (I need to post it.)  This document was found by Jody Georgeson at the non-profit Telecommunications History Group housed in the Denver Main central office at 1401 Champa Street.  (It is not part of AT&T or CenturyLink, but is in their logo branded building.)

                    The 1915 route followed the Platte River/Transcontinental Railroad from Omaha to Julesburg, CO.  Then it followed the South Platte River southwest to Denver.  The wires arrived in Denver in 1911, but that was all the farther NYC callers could yell and be heard, as AT&T had not yet purchased Lee DeForest's Audion vacuum tube patents, and developed workable repeaters.

                    The lines were extended north to Fort Collins (along what is now US Hwy 287), and onward to Cheyenne, Laramie, Rock Springs, Salt Lake City, Wendover, Reno, Sacramento, and San Francisco.

                    By1914, the repeaters were developed and installed in Brushton (Pittsburgh), Omaha, and Salt Lake City, and the 3 circuits were opened for business in January 1915 at about $6.00/minute.

                    I started working at MST&TC/Mountain Bell in 1968 in Fort Collins.  At that time, none of us knew that the Denver-Salt Lake Toll Line (DSL) had any historical significance.  Apparently, during WW2, Bell employees abided by "Loose Lips Sink Ships" and talked to no one about the DSL line's importance to national security.  (Someone else on ColdWarComms has said that only 750 circuits existed east-west across the mountain states at the beginning of the war.  I'm surmising that there were about 250 circuits in each of open wire three routes.)

                    Some of the DSL poles are still standing in our area even though the wires were removed in the 1970's.  In the 1950-1960 era, the DSL was chopped up into rural farm lines, but we still called it the DSL.

                    The line's centennial is about a year away.

                    Jim Hebbeln
                    Fort Collins/Timnath
                    The L-4/fiber Right Of Way is in my backyard.

                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 7, 2013
                      > http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/display/1383530642-19128-70.16.73.11.html

                      gets you:

                      The file you requested (1383530642-19128-70.16.73.11.html) was not found.

                      Please note that maps, profiles, and converted data files are NOT stored
                      permanently on GPS Visualizer's server; if you want to link to them, you'll
                      need to download them to your computer and then re-upload them to your own
                      Web space.

                        Message 11 of 17 , Nov 8, 2013
                          According to one researcher, there used to be a building at 40.4425,-104.9438.  In old USGS maps it's the only building around; could this have been the spot (you'll have to zoom in)?

                          http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/display/20131108073257-05023-map.html

                          http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/display/20131108072548-04291-map.html

                          Message 12 of 17 , Nov 8, 2013

                            Right, that's the way it's designed.  It downloads as a jpg (if one chooses to); there is little point to upload to other web space unless the map rendered is a static-never-changing permanent record.  Folks can do that, but with the guys making changes to the "database" all the time, it's very fluid.  Over the last couple weeks we were making many additions and updates almost everyday; sometimes 6-8 a day.

                            The better way I think is to just say "hey, can you post a fresh one", and you'll get it again with the most recent data.

                            Message 13 of 17 , Nov 8, 2013
                              On 11/8/13 11:17 AM, cpe122@... wrote:

                              > The better way I think is to just say "hey, can you post a fresh one",
                              > and you'll get it again with the most recent data.

                              If, and only if, the author has the source file.

                              And CWC's own history is of important contributors drifting away, and in
                              one case, dying; we then lose that valuable reference material.

                              How do we avoid that?
                            • cpe122
                              Message 14 of 17 , Nov 8, 2013
                                A couple answers: the raw source lives in the cloud, not on any ones computer (the GPSv maps are merely a "visualization" of the raw data).  There are six accounts in the with access.  Three are members of this list.  The other three are members of another organization with similar interests.

                                We all share that data, and I think we've been quite "free" with it here -- as I think it should be.  However it's not my place to post everyone else's hard work; so don't expect to see the entire source in the Files section.  I know I'd be upset if someone posted all of my work in bulk (with all of the extracts we've done, some of them permanent queries, it is not feasible to update and maintain even state-by-state level copies). When a message thread of interest comes up which some of the data is relevant to, I think everyone would agree that's "appropriate use" and is one of the reasons many of us do this.

                                I'm not sure how (else) we would create limited dynamic maps from the data without having to maintain two sets of the data.  I'll look into how this might be linked to Google maps; in the mean time if anyone would like the data from one of the GPSv maps posted in csv or tabular form, just say do, and I'll do that (that way folks can import it into tools of their choice, and it can get archived by the list).

                                /cpe

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Dec 4, 2013
                                      On 11/8/13 11:17 AM, cpe122@... wrote:

                                      > Right, that's the way it's designed. It downloads as a jpg (if one
                                      > chooses to); there is little point to upload to other web space unless
                                      > the map rendered is a static-never-changing permanent record. Folks can
                                      > do that, but with the guys making changes to the "database" all the
                                      > time, it's very fluid. Over the last couple weeks we were making many
                                      > additions and updates almost everyday; sometimes 6-8 a day.
                                      >

                                      > The better way I think is to just say "hey, can you post a fresh one",
                                      > and you'll get it again with the most recent data.

                                      [slowreplay]

                                      The issue is going back into the archives, finding an old gpsvisualizer
                                      URL, & finding it's 404.

                                      If the author still has the source files and is still active, great. If
                                      not, it's lost research.

                                      Not saying I have a better idea.