Microwave building styles

  • cpe122
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 27, 2013
      Seems like we've talked about this one before.  Any chance this one in Earlham, IA was a (J or L1?) cable station before it became a microwave station?

      http://goo.gl/maps/C1W79

      I found this while looking for a VF RS and/or a K known to be near here...

      /cpe

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 28, 2013

          No chance...

          The T-shaped gable-roof TD-2 repeater building was used on the transcon route between Des Moines and Denver, and is usually associated with Type-B - cabin-in-the-sky - delay-lens towers.  Sometimes an addition was built on the other side of the T to make a cross-shaped building.  Prospect Valley started out as a Type-B tower with one of these buildings, but it was rather quickly expanded into a junction main station, especially with the introduction of TH radio in 1961, and the original T-building was removed to make room for the expansion.

          There are a few examples of the T-shape construction on Albert LaFrance's http://long-lines.net/places-routes/index.html web page

          Check out:  Adair Ia, Elk Horn Ia, Minden Ia.

          If you haven't been to Albert's site you're missing out on a lot of good info.

          At some sites the original building was replaced with a concrete building for route expansion.  At others, such as Sutherland Ne, the concrete building was built next to the original for better acces to the tower and the original T-building was left standing:

          http://binged.it/1hoKpmg

          Google has better over-head

          When the Watkins Co TD-2 transcon site was abandoned due to path blockage into downtown Denver, the tower was removed but the building remained and has since been incorporated into a house:

          http://binged.it/1dk0o2g

          The east wing is the original TD-2 repeater shelter.

          There may also be some of these sites shown here in the Photos section but I haven't looked in awhile so it may be a good time for you to take a look - wa -

        • rjfrank1@ymail.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 3, 2013

            Working under the assumption that you have not yet been able to find the Stuart (VF) and/or the Dexter K/Van Meter K sites located relatively near to the Earlham microwave site, here are the coordinates

            Dexter (K): 41 32 48.88 N, 94 14 0.06 W

            Stuart/STRTIACO (VF):  41 30 16.62 N, 94 19 12.24 W

            Van Meter (K):  41 34 1.45 N, 93 55 41.78 W

            I have researched/located the majority of the auxiliary repeater huts on the Davenport-Des Moines and Des Moines-Omaha K-Carrier route segments with the exception of Council Bluffs, Davenport, Iowa City, and Mitchellville K.  Interestingly one of the huts on the Davenport-Des Moines route segment is still listed as being owned by AT&T when searching for land parcels.

            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 4, 2013
              Correct.  Here is what we have on Iowa:

              http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/display/1383605275-29191-70.16.73.11.html

              /cpe

              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 8, 2013

                Here are the site coordinates I have located for the Iowa K-Carrier sites missing from the GPS Visualizer posting (Message 28917).

                Casey (K):  41 28 57.34 N, 94 31 41.94 W

                Rochester (K):  41 38 53.61 N, 91 11 27.01 W

                Wiota (K):   41 28 17.47 N,  94 52 22.52 W

                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 8, 2013
                  Thanks!  Al, RJ is kicking our but.

                  Still looking for Iowa City and the one between Des Moines and Newton (the pink ones).

                  /cpe

                  p.s. I circled the new additions: http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/display/20131108185913-05571-map.html

                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 8, 2013
                    I forgot to ask, are these AT&T names, or local names you have them to identify them?

                    /cpe

                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 9, 2013

                      I have been using the site names found on the 1979 AT&T System Map for the K-Carrier sites/routes located geographically west of the Mississippi River (and beyond the reach of the 1970-1971 AT&T Map 2, 6, 8).

                      There are many "other than coaxial" cable routes on the 1979 map that appear to have been in service at that time including the Iowa, Nebraska routes discussed this past week as well as the St. Louis-Kansas City-Tulsa routes.  Other routes detailed on this map worth exploring are Kansas City-Salina-Wichita, Oklahoma City-Stroud-Tulsa, Stroud, OK-Dallas, Dallas-Austin-San Antonio, and Austin-Houston-Beaumont. I have had varying degrees of success mapping these routes, mainly Oklahoma City-Tulsa, Salina-Wichita, and Stroud to Calera, OK; the remaining routes not so much.  The "other than..." sites located in Texas that are listed on the 1979 map are proving to be difficult to find though I have located the first four locations south of Dallas en route to Austin, and two sites between Austin-San Antonio.

                      Note that the 1979 map does not detail the known K-Carrier routes across Colorado, Wyoming, Nevada, and California.  It would be an interesting exercise to find an existing copy of 1970-1971 AT&T Map 1, 4, 5. 7 and reconcile with the 1979 System Map.