RE: [coldwarcomms] Tower Takedown

  • David Moisan
    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 6, 2013

      >I know a horror story about same. A USG agency was disassembling towers
      >section by section, as no chopper made can lift a big one.

      >Two riggers hooked the hoist to the {then} top, went down a section,
      >unbolted and jacked it free, and signaled "up"...

      >Third section down, they forgot a diagonal brace. When pulled up, the tower
      >broke off at the base, putting the full load on the chopper.

      >Pilot went to 120% power, and the riggers climbed down the remaining
      >sections and RAN away. The chopper dumped the load before crashing...

      >No one could believe there were zero casualties.

      There was a video posted here a year or so ago,  of a copter lowering a tower segment for a Xmas tree, when the lifting cable got stuck on the copter, and the pilot inadvertently put his rotor disk below the catenary of the cable.   Then someone pulled on the cable to try to detach it from the copter.  Two things stuck with me:  The distinctive sound of a rotor blade slicing a steel cable can truly never be un-heard, not least for those who were there.  The other thing:  NO serious injuries.

      _