FCC/CIA monitoring station - Millis, MA

  • taskforceleader
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 6, 2013
      While researching FCC HFDF sites I noticed several of them were used by the CIA during WW2.  Of interest to me is that there was a FCC Monitoring Station in Millis, MA that was used during WW2 to intercept German Comms.  Anyone have a fix on the Millis location?
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 6, 2013
        On 10/6/13 2:43 PM, mcfoster@... wrote:

        > While researching FCC HFDF sites I noticed several of them were used by the CIA
        > during WW2.

        Err, the Agency did not exist then. The FBI ran some monitoring stations,
        as I recall.
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 6, 2013

           Snippet from QRZ forum:

          "In the early 60s I lived in Millis, Mass for a short while. There had been an FCC monitoring station there, and at that time, many of the wooden support poles were still in place, though the building was vacant and locked. I was told this was the original location of WBZ AM, perhaps back in the 1920s. That I don't know, but the site would have been a nice ham station! The antenna wires were gone, but they had apparently had some rhombics or other types of wire antennas, no towers, no beams."

          from Boston Globe:

          July 27, 1940

              The new WBZ transmitter in Hull begins operation. Special programs were broadcast, culminating in a switchover ceremony punctuated by the decay of three atoms of uranium-235, which switched on the new transmitter. The FCC will take over the old Millis site as a monitoring station.

          https://www.cia.gov/library/center-for-the-study-of-intelligence/kent-csi/vol4no2/html/v04i2a05p_0001.htm

          describes FCC monitoring:

          "The concerted German drive to establish radio agent nets in this hemisphere, however, and our struggle against them, began in the spring of 1941. One of our monitors at Millis, Massachusetts, detected the faint signals of a station that was trying to hide its transmission in a transatlantic radio-telephone circuit operating on the same frequency."

          ---In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, <coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

          While researching FCC HFDF sites I noticed several of them were used by the CIA during WW2.  Of interest to me is that there was a FCC Monitoring Station in Millis, MA that was used during WW2 to intercept German Comms.  Anyone have a fix on the Millis location?
        • Bill Smith
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 6, 2013

            Back in my elementary school days in Concord, MA, we had to take some sort of government form home to have our parents fill out. As  part of that, there was a list of entities that would qualify the school for federal aid if the child of an eligible government employee was in that school. I remember, since I was already into radio, that one of the listed entities was the FCC Millis Monitoring Station. This was in the mid 60’s so Millis must have been alive back then as well.

            Bill

            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 6, 2013
              Google is your friend:

              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiEqzlJ2drA

              http://s24.photobucket.com/user/Hawkwind02054/library/WBZ%20Millis%20Former%20Transmitter%20Site?sort=3&page=1

              If you go to Historic Aerials (Dover Rd opposite King Phillip) the Transmitter building can be seen from about 1957 through 1995)  Appears to been demolished post 95.

              ---In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, <coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

              Back in my elementary school days in Concord, MA, we had to take some sort of government form home to have our parents fill out. As  part of that, there was a list of entities that would qualify the school for federal aid if the child of an eligible government employee was in that school. I remember, since I was already into radio, that one of the listed entities was the FCC Millis Monitoring Station. This was in the mid 60’s so Millis must have been alive back then as well.

              Bill

              While researching FCC HFDF sites I noticed several of them were used by the CIA during WW2.  Of interest to me is that there was a FCC Monitoring Station in Millis, MA that was used during WW2 to intercept German Comms.  Anyone have a fix on the Millis location?

            • Byron Hurder
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 6, 2013
                On 10/6/2013 3:50 PM, Bill Smith wrote:

                Back in my elementary school days in Concord, MA,

                I grew up next door, in Norfolk, and my Dad was a mailman there.  I remember that he would take his mail Jeep over to Millis to get the morning's mail for delivery.

                Never would have dreamed of an FCC monitoring station so very close to home, never mind a CIA facility.  Nah, tell me it ain't so.

                Luck Hurder, WA4STO
                Wilber, Nebraska