Polk City Autovon Potpourri

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 6, 2013
      An old IBEW-GTE contract lists work location as Autovon(In the Winter Haven area) rather than a CO building name.

      The AUTOVON building was offered at auction in 1991:

      http://americanradiohistory.com/Archive-BC/BC-1991/BC-1991-01-21.pdf

      classified p81,(Auction- 2 GTE buildings) describes a 2 story brick Autovon building

      Newspaper articles:

      http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=888&dat=19661013&id=iNpaAAAAIBAJ&sjid=M3QDAAAAIBAJ&pg=5117,1188973

      http://news.google.com/newspapers?%20nid=950&dat=19700404&id=tT9QAAAAIBAJ&sjid=PFcDAAAAIBAJ&pg=2039,1074108

      http://news.google.com/newspapers?%20nid=1755&dat=19700408&id=hDkgAAAAIBAJ&sjid=IGYEAAAAIBAJ&pg=5152,2771656

      The switch was one of several locations undergoing TEMPS testing in the 1970's:

      http://asc.army.mil/docs/pubs/alt/archives/1974/Mar-Apr_1974.PDF      p7

      http://asc.army.mil/docs/pubs/alt/archives/1973/Nov-Dec_1973.PDF      p12-13

      snippet from:

      http://www.mors.org/UserFiles/file/Oral%20Histories/MORS%20BrandsteinOralHistory_15Aug11.pdf

      "For a while, I was employed at Harry Diamond as
      an  electronics  engineer,  even  though  I  had  no
      background  for  it  obviously.    We  had  developed
      the  largest  transportable  EMP  simulator.
      Transportable  is  really  stretching  it  –  it  took  25
      tractor-trailers to move it.  We were going to test an
      AUTOVON Switch that was at Polk City, Florida,
      so  ours  was  brought  down  there.    I  was  the  one
      who  installed  the  oscilloscope  and  probes  and  I
      installed things in the switch.  I didn’ t know what
      I was doing but it was fun.  And I got to play with a
      flash  override  on  the  telephones.    The  interesting
      part of this was that it was going to be used for the
      first time.  We had a bunch of colonels and generals
      down  inside  this  bombproof  building  to
      commemorate the inauguration of the thing."