Florida Long Lines Question

  • Free Willie
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 3, 2013
      Hi. I'm new to the group, so I hope I'm not posting a question here which doesn't belong. I was hoping to find a list or map of the former AT&T Long Lines Towers in my state, Florida. I've searched long-lines.net (revisited the site many times) and have had no luck. Communications history/preservation is interesting and necessary, and the Long Lines division of Ma Bell has intrigued me for a long time. I appreciate any information.
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 3, 2013
        On 10/3/13 5:34 PM, Free Willie wrote:

        > Hi. I'm new to the group, so I hope I'm not posting a question here
        > which doesn't belong.

        Well, "What is the meaning of life?" might go unanswered....

        > I was hoping to find a list or map of the former AT&T Long Lines Towers
        > in my state, Florida. I've searched long-lines.net (revisited the site
        > many times) and have had no luck. Communications history/preservation
        > is interesting and necessary, and the Long Lines division of Ma Bell has
        > intrigued me for a long time. I appreciate any information.

        Somewhere in the archives is a map image I was sent, showing routes
        including the old one up Rt27 I think it is.

        But I can't find it now; Yahoo has ""improved"" the archives.
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 3, 2013

          go to files, maps, ATT_FL_E_map.jpg

          american tower had a tower list for every state 10 years ago but I think most are no longer online.

          ---In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, <coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

          Hi. I'm new to the group, so I hope I'm not posting a question here which doesn't belong. I was hoping to find a list or map of the former AT&T Long Lines Towers in my state, Florida. I've searched long-lines.net (revisited the site many times) and have had no luck. Communications history/preservation is interesting and necessary, and the Long Lines division of Ma Bell has intrigued me for a long time. I appreciate any information.
        • Mike Walker
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 3, 2013
            I don't have a complete list for you, but start with the Ellisville location perhaps and see what you can come up with connected to that. This is between Gainesville and Lake City and was also a GEP. I've driven by it and it still appears to have Combat Ciders and is a fairly large—nearly Project Office-like—structure, mostly underground.

            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 3, 2013
              Thanks! I love all the info on this group's site.
            • Blake Bowers
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 3, 2013

                Really?   Everyone knows the meaning of life is 42.