Tower Takedown

  • featurecamman
    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 1, 2013
      If you had to take a tower down, how would you do it? It has already been stripped of horns and waveguide and it is 320 feet high. Tipping it over is out of the question as the site is now surrounded by houses. It is in a worthless location and can't be re-used and the building is trashed. Any ideas?
    • Craig Scott
      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 1, 2013
        Hire a demo company.  They have insurance.  OR...DIY,  climb to the top with a cutting torch, tie off the piece you want to cut, cut it, lower it down...repeat as necessary.
        Dred

        If you had to take a tower down, how would you do it? It has already been stripped of horns and waveguide and it is 320 feet high. Tipping it over is out of the question as the site is now surrounded by houses. It is in a worthless location and can't be re-used and the building is trashed. Any ideas?

      • Nathan Watson
        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 1, 2013
          Deconstruct it in a similar fashion to how it was put up.

          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 1, 2013
            On 10/1/13 12:40 PM, featurecamman@... wrote:

            > If you had to take a tower down, how would you do it?

            CDI can & does take towers down in very little space. They did the NSS
            towers at Annapolis.

            Failing that, it's riggers, gin poles, flame wrench and money.
          • featurecamman
            Message 5 of 20 , Oct 1, 2013
              The other concern is all the lead paint flaking off. This thing is pretty bad. Hitting it with a torch could vaporize the lead paint, making it inhalable. Yum! I'm also trying not to dump a lot of lead paint chips onto my property or the overly protective neighbors. I've been thinking about how to do this cheaply and haven't had much luck. Maybe find some people on Craigslist with a deathwish?

              ---In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, <wb8foz@...> wrote:

              On 10/1/13 12:40 PM, featurecamman@... wrote:

              > If you had to take a tower down, how would you do it?

              CDI can & does take towers down in very little space. They did the NSS
              towers at Annapolis.

              Failing that, it's riggers, gin poles, flame wrench and money.
            • Mike Cowen
              Message 6 of 20 , Oct 1, 2013
                Agreed.  A skilled demolitions crew, like CDI (Controlled Demolition, Inc. in Baltimore), could easily drop that tower within the fence.  Wrap it with Geo-Tex to contain shedding.  Showing off, they could telescope it inside the 4 corners, perhaps about 20' high.  Not that hard, and they've done trickier jobs.  The Loizeaux's aren't cheap, but you'd be hard pressed to find better.

                Mike

                At 09:48 AM 10/1/2013, you wrote:

                On 10/1/13 12:40 PM, featurecamman@... wrote:

                > If you had to take a tower down, how would you do it?

                CDI can & does take towers down in very little space. They did the NSS
                towers at Annapolis.

                Failing that, it's riggers, gin poles, flame wrench and money.

                  Mike Cowen      Practice random acts of kindness
                                              and selfless acts of beauty.
                 mcowen@...            -Anonymous

              • radioman390
                Message 7 of 20 , Oct 1, 2013
                  I've seen pictures of towers being airlifted by choppers, probably after being untethered at the base. Erected the same way too.

                  Message 8 of 20 , Oct 1, 2013

                     Mike, I like your idea of wrapping it to contain shedding. I wonder if there is some coating I could spray on it? Spray it on, let it dry, kick the part off the side of the tower, maybe?

                    Message 9 of 20 , Oct 1, 2013
                      On 10/1/13 1:07 PM, Radioman390@... wrote:

                      > I've seen pictures of towers being airlifted by choppers, probably after
                      > being untethered at the base. Erected the same way too.

                      I know a horror story about same. A USG agency was disassembling towers
                      section by section, as no chopper made can lift a big one.

                      Two riggers hooked the hoist to the {then} top, went down a section,
                      unbolted and jacked it free, and signaled "up"...

                      Third section down, they forgot a diagonal brace. When pulled up, the tower
                      broke off at the base, putting the full load on the chopper.

                      Pilot went to 120% power, and the riggers climbed down the remaining
                      sections and RAN away. The chopper dumped the load before crashing...

                      No one could believe there were zero casualties.
                    • james kester
                      Message 10 of 20 , Oct 1, 2013
                        I can do it for you. Give me a call.

                        James Kester

                        Message 11 of 20 , Oct 1, 2013

                          Paint  it copper colored and let it “slip” in  a well-placed rumor to the “right” folks that this thing is made of copper  and it’ll be gone over night.

                          As for the CL crew – if you do find a scrapper who will do it for free – double check his insurance (and references)

                          The other concern is all the lead paint flaking off. This thing is pretty bad. Hitting it with a torch could vaporize the lead paint, making it inhalable. Yum! I'm also trying not to dump a lot of lead paint chips onto my property or the overly protective neighbors. I've been thinking about how to do this cheaply and haven't had much luck. Maybe find some people on Craigslist with a deathwish?

                          ---In
                          coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, <wb8foz@...> wrote:

                          On 10/1/13 12:40 PM, featurecamman@... wrote:

                          > If you had to take a tower down, how would you do it?

                          CDI can & does take towers down in very little space. They did the NSS
                          towers at Annapolis.

                          Failing that, it's riggers, gin poles, flame wrench and money.

                        • Michael W. Scheel
                          Message 12 of 20 , Oct 1, 2013
                            Attach a helicopter and cut sections off. Airlift to vacant lot and cut it up.

                            On 10/1/2013 11:40 AM, featurecamman@... wrote:
                            ����

                            If you had to take a tower down, how would you do it? It has already been stripped of horns and waveguide and it is 320 feet high. Tipping it over is out of the question as the site is now surrounded by houses. It is in a worthless location and can't be re-used and the building is trashed. Any ideas?

                            __

                            Michael W. Scheel  K0QCS  // KPC0QCS // ARRL // DARC // MARC
                            Davenport IOWA     RCMA IA-011 // IPMS-US #25517 QCSMS // DAGOBAH

                          • Frank Helton
                            Message 13 of 20 , Oct 1, 2013
                              Amen.  Many many times.

                              Sent: Tuesday, October 01, 2013 11:46 AM

                              Hire a demo company.  They have insurance.  OR...DIY,  climb to the top with a cutting torch, tie off the piece you want to cut, cut it, lower it down...repeat as necessary.
                              Dred

                              If you had to take a tower down, how would you do it? It has already been stripped of horns and waveguide and it is 320 feet high. Tipping it over is out of the question as the site is now surrounded by houses. It is in a worthless location and can't be re-used and the building is trashed. Any ideas?

                            • Kris Kirby
                              Message 14 of 20 , Oct 2, 2013
                                On Tue, 1 Oct 2013, featurecamman@... wrote:
                                > If you had to take a tower down, how would you do it? It has already
                                > been stripped of horns and waveguide and it is 320 feet high. Tipping
                                > it over is out of the question as the site is now surrounded by
                                > houses. It is in a worthless location and can't be re-used and the
                                > building is trashed. Any ideas?

                                I find that rather difficult, considering that in today's money, it
                                would cost $2M to build the tower and facility. If you're surrounded by
                                houses, it will only be a matter of time before a carrier comes
                                knocking.

                                320 ft is damn tall, and if you have neighbors closer than 320 ft...

                                That being said, I can think of one tower I've personally seen in
                                Alabama that meets those same conditions, and it's on the only thing
                                close to a hill for several miles around. Last I heard, a local 911
                                center took it over, or the county sheriff's department or EMA had
                                ownership of it.

                                Surely you can convince a local civic entity to purchase it...

                                --
                                Kris Kirby, KE4AHR
                                Disinformation Analyst
                                Message 15 of 20 , Oct 2, 2013

                                   A downtown takedown:

                                  http://preservationgreensboro.typepad.com/weblog/2011/08/cold-war-communications-history-fades-in-downtown-greensboro.html

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Oct 2, 2013
                                    Must be nice to be cost plus T & M!

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Oct 2, 2013
                                      On 10/2/13 11:39 AM, james kester wrote:

                                      > Must be nice to be cost plus T& M!

                                      And no permits!
                                    • james kester
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Oct 2, 2013
                                        Well, the permits can be had. But, the crane is say $3,800/day depending.
                                        You still have to close off the street though. In two location's, the crane & the work zone.

                                        Now, there's a whole other problem called "Secure Site".
                                        Background checks, among other things.

                                        Message 19 of 20 , Oct 2, 2013
                                          ozob99@... wrote:

                                          > http://preservationgreensboro.typepad.com/weblog/2011/08/cold-war-communications-history-fades-in-downtown-greensboro.html

                                          It's not often I have a need to visit Greensboro but every time I did I
                                          used the at&t tower as a reference point to find my way around. I
                                          haven't been there since the tower was removed but I see google street
                                          view has:

                                          Before:

                                          https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15095569/att_greensboro/att_greensboro.jpg

                                          After:

                                          https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15095569/att_greensboro/att_greensboro_b.jpg

                                          Dex
                                        • David Moisan
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Oct 6, 2013

                                            >I know a horror story about same. A USG agency was disassembling towers
                                            >section by section, as no chopper made can lift a big one.

                                            >Two riggers hooked the hoist to the {then} top, went down a section,
                                            >unbolted and jacked it free, and signaled "up"...

                                            >Third section down, they forgot a diagonal brace. When pulled up, the tower
                                            >broke off at the base, putting the full load on the chopper.

                                            >Pilot went to 120% power, and the riggers climbed down the remaining
                                            >sections and RAN away. The chopper dumped the load before crashing...

                                            >No one could believe there were zero casualties.

                                            There was a video posted here a year or so ago,  of a copter lowering a tower segment for a Xmas tree, when the lifting cable got stuck on the copter, and the pilot inadvertently put his rotor disk below the catenary of the cable.   Then someone pulled on the cable to try to detach it from the copter.  Two things stuck with me:  The distinctive sound of a rotor blade slicing a steel cable can truly never be un-heard, not least for those who were there.  The other thing:  NO serious injuries.

                                            _