Apocalyptic Architecture: Cold War Bunkers, Reuse and the Everyday Landscape

    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 7, 2013
      I don't think this has been posted(group search is down):

      <http://www.academia.edu/440251/Apocalyptic_Architecture_Cold_War_Bunkers_Reuse_and_the_Everyday_Landscape>
    • Tim
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 7, 2013
        Nice find, but based on this quote from page 17, I'm not expecting much:

        **********
        The Raven Rock Mountain Alternate Joint Communications
        Center was built in 1941 in West Virginia as an underground
        alternative back-up facility for the Pentagon so military operations
        could continue if the aboveground structure was attacked.
        It also had facilities for the president and his successors, and
        was developed to be the main base for military control during
        the Cold War.
        **********

      • Walt - WB2VSJ
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 7, 2013

          I’m Confused – It says West VA but isn’t Raven Rock AJC in PA?

          (Or was that what you were referring too, an error in the article in the story.)  West VA site sounds like Greenbrier?

                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 8, 2013
                  Yes, and I was surprised to see that Offut AFB had been "repurposed" to Nevada.  LOL

                  Tim Fox

                  Sep 7, 2013 08:23:13 PM, coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com wrote:

                   And from an "academic" website!; there's a lot of corrupted copy cat data repeated in websites but quickly exposed here.

                  >--- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, <coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                  I read that "research" -- the author should stick to landscape architecture, because their fact-checking is horrible.  I spotted a number of inaccuracies in the paper, I suspect as a result of passing through too many re-tellings.

                  john

                  > On 9/7/2013 7:40 PM, Tim wrote:

                  Nice find, but based on this quote from page 17, I'm not expecting much:

                  > **********
                  > The Raven Rock Mountain Alternate Joint Communications
                  > Center was built in 1941 in West Virginia as an underground
                  > alternative back-up facility for the Pentagon so military operations
                  > could continue if the aboveground structure was attacked.
                  > It also had facilities for the president and his successors, and
                  > was developed to be the main base for military control during
                  > the Cold War.
                  > **********
                  >
                  > On 9/7/2013 9:45 AM, ozob99@... wrote:

                  I don't think this has been posted(group search is down):

                • John Young
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 29, 2013
                    Perhaps cited here already, but the recently published "Command
                    and Control" offers a godawful view of near nuclear calamity during
                    Cold War stupidity far from over.

                    http://www.amazon.com/Command-Control-Damascus-Accident-Illusion/dp/1594202273

                    Some 1,200 nuclear incidents and accidents took place, a few lethal.

                    Most grim are the early calls for nuking the Soviet Union before it
                    could develop atomic bombs. Millions to be killed on the basis
                    of paranoia fed by military evil-doers still sexually aroused by
                    WW2 bloodlust of strategic bombing of civilians despite evidence
                    it did not work.

                    Other Cold War despicables:

                    General Groves refusing to tell anybody the truth about nukes,
                    believing that only he and few officers knew what was best for
                    the nation.

                    The military fighting for control of nuclear weapons against the
                    AEC and winning control while propping up the illusion that
                    civilians were in charge.

                    As then as now: National security secrecy the gravest threat to
                    nations with WMDs holding the world hostage by madmen
                    who believe killing power is the only religion for safety.
                  • Tim Christensen
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 29, 2013
                      As a SAC man who was intimately involved in nuclear C-cubed and surity at the time, the one thing I can definitively say about this book... it is ideologically twisted fiction which says absolutely nothing new that conspiracy and panic theorists from that camp have not attempted to hype before.  Anyone actually involved in command, control, communications and surity knows how preposterous the twisting is in this book. A worthless read if there ever was one.

                      Tim
                    • John Young
                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 29, 2013
                        You may be surprised that the author praises LeMay and SAC
                        for controlling nuclear hysteria against those who preferred
                        demogoguery for political and careerist gain. The detailed
                        description of the Titan incident's unfolding and the bravey
                        of those few who took it on rather than panic, is masterful,
                        and shows what is still needed today against the WMD
                        propagandists.

                        Also shown is how royal screw-ups were concealed as
                        a matter of policy, to "not frighten the public." Same policy
                        now to justify secretkeeping, instead lull with comforting
                        assurances to trust commanders and controllers, wow,
                        that is the cretinous PR LeMay loathed and fired the
                        lazy-assed practitioners of it.