Re: [coldwarcomms] Re: Autovon again

  • Facility 406 DM09
    Message 1 of 30 , Aug 21, 2013
      "A fellow sight-seer about 10' behind me in the Battlestaff section noticed
      my
      focus (pun intended) on the info card"

      That's the nice thing about the almost microscopic HD still image and video
      systems available for a few bucks. Hide it on your person, in a hat, behind
      a button, in glasses, you see it, so does it and nobody else.

      Kurt
    • coloradoredlands
      Message 2 of 30 , Aug 21, 2013
        Is there any chance you would post that pic in the files section?

        Chris
        Colorado

        In a message dated 8/22/2013 03:09:01 Coordinated Universal Time,
        polohat@... writes:

        While aboard the EC-135C, I was sure to carefully take a close-up
        photo of one of the North Star info cards.

      • Tim
        Message 3 of 30 , Aug 22, 2013
          On 8/22/2013 12:51 AM, coloradoredlands@... wrote:

          > Is there any chance you would post that pic in the files section?

          It's among many hundreds of C3,I related photos taken by me in the 1980s
          up until 2002 when I bought a digital camera. If/when I scan it, I would
          redact the phone #s before posting it.

          Message 4 of 30 , Jan 24
            Artwork: "Feldberg Radio Relay Location On Mount Kolbenberg:

            http://media.nara.gov/stillpix/330-cfd/1986/DF-SN-86-07114.jpeg
          • wftroskey
            Message 5 of 30 , Jan 26
              COOL DRAWING!

              I don't know the artist; I'll have to check with the guys on the Feldberg Spokt group to see if anybody there knows more. This was drawn before the blast wall went up, which was built in 1989 or so. I've got photos of the tower from that angle, but this is really neat! Thanks for sharing this, ozob99!

              Looks like they finally got the DEB up & running by 1985; They were "planning" it in 1981 when I left, but hadn't installed anything yet. The 2 dishes on the lower left side of the tower with the long feedhorns were for the DEB. The flat antenna at the top was the difraction shot to Lindsey Air Station in Weisbaden.

              The building on the right was the power building where the commercial power cable came into the site & the generators were housed. The building on the left is the "hunting lodge", which was the original building on the site. The buildings housing the TCF & switch were built around this building, on all sides except the side facing the tower. The upstairs was originally where site personnel lived in the '60's; it later housed admin offices. There was a kitchen downstairs where site personnel cooked all their meals; that was also replaced when the dormitory was built at the north end of the site (left of frame in the drawing).

              Bill Troskey
              Feldberg 1979-1981