Re: [coldwarcomms] Navy "utilities" project in East Potomac Park, Washington, DC

  • Jim Browne
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 28, 2013
      I saw a presentation at DFI in Boston two years ago about the Jefferson
      Memorial Plaza rehab. Contractor was Schnabel Foundation Co. and damage
      they were repairing appeared quite "suddenly" right around the time that
      rumors about a secret tunnel project began circulating.

      The presentation was fairly standard except for one slide that showed
      piezometer (ground water pressure) data under the memorial. The data
      showed a linear increase down to roughly 100' where it sharply *decreased*.
      Schnabel presented this data to the Park Service and insisted that they
      needed to find out what was causing the draw-down. Predictably, they were
      told not to worry about it and just fix the memorial...

      I'm surprised that slide made it into public presentations. To a room full
      of geotechnical engineers, it was fairly obvious what was happening....

      On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 2:23 PM, Mike Cowen <weldedrail@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Any news if they managed to re-level the
      > Jefferson Memorial? Sure was a lot of noise
      > about it sinking, now rather quiet. Would have
      > been rather embarrassing to have a national
      > memorial fall into their "secret" hole along with a breach of the tidal
      > basin.
      >
      > Mike
      >

      > At 11:06 AM 7/27/2013, you wrote:
      > >

      > >Might be a combined logo for Clark Construction and Kiewet.
      > >
      > >A combined sign of the two at the project with similar colors:
      > >
      > ><http://cryptome.org/eyeball/dcnavy/pict167.jpg>
      > http://cryptome.org/eyeball/dcnavy/pict167.jpg
      >

      > >Kiewet is a tunneling contractor, Clark usually surface.
      > >
      > >A long-running project, not at all clear where it is running
      > >to and from. My guess is still an evacuation route from
      > >the White House, with stops along the way to gather
      > >other VIPs. Where headed? Some have speculated
      > >out toward Leesburg but it may branch into several
      > >directions. A lot of underground work around the globe.
      > >Certainly a lot in the US. Nothing like it since the Cold
      > >War.
      > >
      > >At 12:58 PM 7/27/2013, you wrote:
      > > >

      > > >Any new information on this long-running project?
      > > >
      > > >Anyone recognize the logo on this truck, seen exiting the site in an
      > April
      > > >2011 Google Streetview shot?
      > > >
      > > ><<http://goo.gl/maps/vJp2B>http://goo.gl/maps/vJp2B>
      > http://goo.gl/maps/vJp2B
      >

      > > >In a Bing aerial image, I saw a pickup with the same yellow body, black
      > hood
      > > >and white toolbox, as well as two other yellow pickups.
      > > >
      > > >Albert

      Jim Browne

      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 29, 2013
        It could be worse...Google "Lake Peigneur" :)

        Albert

      • Mike Walker
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 29, 2013
          *It could be worse...Google "Lake Peigneur" :)*

          Oh yes*.* Quite possibly my favorite engineering disaster of all time.

          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 29, 2013
            On 7/29/13 9:51 PM, Mike Walker wrote:

            > *It could be worse...Google "Lake Peigneur" :)*
            >
            > Oh yes*.* Quite possibly my favorite engineering disaster of all time.

            There was a Buffalo salt mine extending under Lake Erie that recently
            became a salt water reservoir after some kind of oops....
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 31, 2016
              Here's some old news that I hadn't picked up on: the general contractor for
              the Jefferson Memorial plaza repair is none other than Clark Construction -
              the same company that's a partner on the Navy "utilities" project right next
              door, or right below if you believe those wild rumors!

              <http://www.clarkconstruction.com/sites/default/files/superstructure/superst
              ructure2010spring.pdf>

              Maybe that's what they're doing with all that dirt from the (non) tunnel
              excavation - sending it topside to shore up the memorial :)

              Albert

              I saw a presentation at DFI in Boston two years ago about the Jefferson
              Memorial Plaza rehab. Contractor was Schnabel Foundation Co. and damage
              they were repairing appeared quite "suddenly" right around the time that
              rumors about a secret tunnel project began circulating.

              The presentation was fairly standard except for one slide that showed
              piezometer (ground water pressure) data under the memorial. The data showed
              a linear increase down to roughly 100' where it sharply *decreased*.
              Schnabel presented this data to the Park Service and insisted that they
              needed to find out what was causing the draw-down. Predictably, they were
              told not to worry about it and just fix the memorial...

              I'm surprised that slide made it into public presentations. To a room full
              of geotechnical engineers, it was fairly obvious what was happening....

              On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 2:23 PM, Mike Cowen <weldedrail@...> wrote:

              > **
              >

              > Any news if they managed to re-level the Jefferson Memorial? Sure was
              > a lot of noise about it sinking, now rather quiet. Would have been
              > rather embarrassing to have a national memorial fall into their
              > "secret" hole along with a breach of the tidal basin.
              >
              > Mike
              >

              > At 11:06 AM 7/27/2013, you wrote:
              > >

              > >Might be a combined logo for Clark Construction and Kiewet.
              > >
              > >A combined sign of the two at the project with similar colors:
              > >
              > ><http://cryptome.org/eyeball/dcnavy/pict167.jpg>
              > http://cryptome.org/eyeball/dcnavy/pict167.jpg
              >

              > >Kiewet is a tunneling contractor, Clark usually surface.
              > >
              > >A long-running project, not at all clear where it is running to and
              > >from. My guess is still an evacuation route from the White House,
              > >with stops along the way to gather other VIPs. Where headed? Some
              > >have speculated out toward Leesburg but it may branch into several
              > >directions. A lot of underground work around the globe.
              > >Certainly a lot in the US. Nothing like it since the Cold War.
              > >
              > >At 12:58 PM 7/27/2013, you wrote:
              > > >

              > > >Any new information on this long-running project?
              > > >
              > > >Anyone recognize the logo on this truck, seen exiting the site in
              > > >an
              > April
              > > >2011 Google Streetview shot?
              > > >
              > > ><<http://goo.gl/maps/vJp2B>http://goo.gl/maps/vJp2B>
              > http://goo.gl/maps/vJp2B
              >

              > > >In a Bing aerial image, I saw a pickup with the same yellow body,
              > > >black
              > hood
              > > >and white toolbox, as well as two other yellow pickups.
              > > >
              > > >Albert

              Jim Browne

            • Jim Browne
              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 31, 2016
                "As the groundwater conditions have changed...."

                On Sun, Jul 31, 2016 at 7:28 PM, 'Albert LaFrance'
                albert.lafrance@... [coldwarcomms] <coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com

                Jim Browne