Navy "utilities" project in East Potomac Park, Washington, DC

    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 27, 2013
      Any new information on this long-running project?

      Anyone recognize the logo on this truck, seen exiting the site in an April
      2011 Google Streetview shot?

      http://goo.gl/maps/vJp2B

      In a Bing aerial image, I saw a pickup with the same yellow body, black hood
      and white toolbox, as well as two other yellow pickups.

    • John Young
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 27, 2013
        Might be a combined logo for Clark Construction and Kiewet.

        A combined sign of the two at the project with similar colors:

        http://cryptome.org/eyeball/dcnavy/pict167.jpg

        Kiewet is a tunneling contractor, Clark usually surface.

        A long-running project, not at all clear where it is running
        to and from. My guess is still an evacuation route from
        the White House, with stops along the way to gather
        other VIPs. Where headed? Some have speculated
        out toward Leesburg but it may branch into several
        directions. A lot of underground work around the globe.
        Certainly a lot in the US. Nothing like it since the Cold
        War.

        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 27, 2013
          On 7/27/13 2:06 PM, John Young wrote:

          > A long-running project, not at all clear where it is running to and
          > from. My guess is still an evacuation route from the White House, with
          > stops along the way to gather other VIPs. Where headed? S

          Where are all the tailings going? As anyone who has seen the Great Escape
          knows, the problem is getting rid of the dirt....
        • Mike Cowen
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 27, 2013
            Any news if they managed to re-level the
            Jefferson Memorial? Sure was a lot of noise
            about it sinking, now rather quiet. Would have
            been rather embarrassing to have a national
            memorial fall into their "secret" hole along with a breach of the tidal basin.

            Mike

            At 11:06 AM 7/27/2013, you wrote:

            >Might be a combined logo for Clark Construction and Kiewet.
            >
            >A combined sign of the two at the project with similar colors:
            >
            ><http://cryptome.org/eyeball/dcnavy/pict167.jpg>http://cryptome.org/eyeball/dcnavy/pict167.jpg
            >
            >Kiewet is a tunneling contractor, Clark usually surface.
            >
            >A long-running project, not at all clear where it is running
            >to and from. My guess is still an evacuation route from
            >the White House, with stops along the way to gather
            >other VIPs. Where headed? Some have speculated
            >out toward Leesburg but it may branch into several
            >directions. A lot of underground work around the globe.
            >Certainly a lot in the US. Nothing like it since the Cold
            >War.
            >
            >At 12:58 PM 7/27/2013, you wrote:
            > >

            > >Any new information on this long-running project?
            > >
            > >Anyone recognize the logo on this truck, seen exiting the site in an April
            > >2011 Google Streetview shot?
            > >
            > ><<http://goo.gl/maps/vJp2B>http://goo.gl/maps/vJp2B>http://goo.gl/maps/vJp2B
            > >
            > >In a Bing aerial image, I saw a pickup with the same yellow body, black hood
            > >and white toolbox, as well as two other yellow pickups.
            > >
            > >Albert

          • Mike Cowen
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 27, 2013
              Dare I say the folks around D.C. are pretty skilled at getting rid of "dirt"...

              However, from an engineering perspective, it's a very good question!

              Mike

              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 27, 2013
                On 7/27/13 2:23 PM, Mike Cowen wrote:

                > Any news if they managed to re-level the Jefferson Memorial? Sure was a
                > lot of noise about it sinking, now rather quiet. Would have been rather
                > embarrassing to have a national memorial fall into their "secret" hole
                > along with a breach of the tidal basin.

                Naw, they'd blame it on the Congress.
              • John Young
                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 27, 2013
                  Hiding the tailings is essential for covert UG facilties. Or to
                  expose partial tailings to delude about the extent of excavation.

                  Some are moved at night or during cloud cover or weather.
                  Some dumped in rivers and lakes, two nearby the Navy dig.

                  Some are packaged in camouflaged containers. Some
                  might be moved in the adjoining metro tunnel. There is
                  also a somewhat concealed Amtrak siding where FDR
                  used to board a train.

                  When excavating in the right kind or rock some of the
                  debris is used as aggregate in concrete which is batched
                  underground.

                  A number
                  of ways to do that

                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 27, 2013
                    On 7/27/13 3:27 PM, John Young wrote:
                    > Hiding the tailings is essential for covert UG facilties. Or to
                    > expose partial tailings to delude about the extent of excavation.

                    SWAG

                    Shaft site to White House 7600 ft.
                    Say 4' wide by 6' tall
                    182,400 ft^3 total
                    6800 yd^3

                    By any measure that's a lot of dirt....

                    But it's only 6400 ft to the Pentagon....
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 27, 2013
                      It sure is a lot of dirt! And you could probably add at least two feet to
                      those finished dimensions to allow for the thickness of the tunnel lining,
                      and space for ventilation ducts, light fixtures, etc.

                      Speaking of the White House, I seem to recall reading that a big "utilities"
                      project was going on there within the past year or so - maybe the tunnelers
                      finally breaking through?

                      In a normal tunneling project, of course, they'd dig from both ends to speed
                      up the work.

                      Albert

                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 27, 2013
                        RE: the White House "utility upgrade":

                        http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/12/white-house-big-dig-remai_n_1877484
                        .html

                        OR

                        http://tinyurl.com/8t5uml6

                        Albert

                        > Hiding the tailings is essential for covert UG facilties. Or to
                        > expose partial tailings to delude about the extent of excavation.

                        SWAG

                        Shaft site to White House 7600 ft.
                        Say 4' wide by 6' tall
                        182,400 ft^3 total
                        6800 yd^3

                        By any measure that's a lot of dirt....

                        But it's only 6400 ft to the Pentagon....

                      • Jim Browne
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jul 28, 2013
                          I saw a presentation at DFI in Boston two years ago about the Jefferson
                          Memorial Plaza rehab. Contractor was Schnabel Foundation Co. and damage
                          they were repairing appeared quite "suddenly" right around the time that
                          rumors about a secret tunnel project began circulating.

                          The presentation was fairly standard except for one slide that showed
                          piezometer (ground water pressure) data under the memorial. The data
                          showed a linear increase down to roughly 100' where it sharply *decreased*.
                          Schnabel presented this data to the Park Service and insisted that they
                          needed to find out what was causing the draw-down. Predictably, they were
                          told not to worry about it and just fix the memorial...

                          I'm surprised that slide made it into public presentations. To a room full
                          of geotechnical engineers, it was fairly obvious what was happening....

                          On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 2:23 PM, Mike Cowen <weldedrail@...> wrote:

                          > **
                          >

                          > Any news if they managed to re-level the
                          > Jefferson Memorial? Sure was a lot of noise
                          > about it sinking, now rather quiet. Would have
                          > been rather embarrassing to have a national
                          > memorial fall into their "secret" hole along with a breach of the tidal
                          > basin.
                          >
                          > Mike
                          >

                          > At 11:06 AM 7/27/2013, you wrote:
                          > >

                          > >Might be a combined logo for Clark Construction and Kiewet.
                          > >
                          > >A combined sign of the two at the project with similar colors:
                          > >
                          > ><http://cryptome.org/eyeball/dcnavy/pict167.jpg>
                          > http://cryptome.org/eyeball/dcnavy/pict167.jpg
                          >

                          > >Kiewet is a tunneling contractor, Clark usually surface.
                          > >
                          > >A long-running project, not at all clear where it is running
                          > >to and from. My guess is still an evacuation route from
                          > >the White House, with stops along the way to gather
                          > >other VIPs. Where headed? Some have speculated
                          > >out toward Leesburg but it may branch into several
                          > >directions. A lot of underground work around the globe.
                          > >Certainly a lot in the US. Nothing like it since the Cold
                          > >War.
                          > >
                          > >At 12:58 PM 7/27/2013, you wrote:
                          > > >

                          > > >Any new information on this long-running project?
                          > > >
                          > > >Anyone recognize the logo on this truck, seen exiting the site in an
                          > April
                          > > >2011 Google Streetview shot?
                          > > >
                          > > ><<http://goo.gl/maps/vJp2B>http://goo.gl/maps/vJp2B>
                          > http://goo.gl/maps/vJp2B
                          >

                          > > >In a Bing aerial image, I saw a pickup with the same yellow body, black
                          > hood
                          > > >and white toolbox, as well as two other yellow pickups.
                          > > >
                          > > >Albert

                          Jim Browne

                          Message 12 of 18 , Jul 29, 2013
                            It could be worse...Google "Lake Peigneur" :)

                            Albert

                          • Mike Walker
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jul 29, 2013
                              *It could be worse...Google "Lake Peigneur" :)*

                              Oh yes*.* Quite possibly my favorite engineering disaster of all time.

                              Message 14 of 18 , Jul 29, 2013
                                On 7/29/13 9:51 PM, Mike Walker wrote:

                                > *It could be worse...Google "Lake Peigneur" :)*
                                >
                                > Oh yes*.* Quite possibly my favorite engineering disaster of all time.

                                There was a Buffalo salt mine extending under Lake Erie that recently
                                became a salt water reservoir after some kind of oops....
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jul 31, 2016
                                  Here's some old news that I hadn't picked up on: the general contractor for
                                  the Jefferson Memorial plaza repair is none other than Clark Construction -
                                  the same company that's a partner on the Navy "utilities" project right next
                                  door, or right below if you believe those wild rumors!

                                  <http://www.clarkconstruction.com/sites/default/files/superstructure/superst
                                  ructure2010spring.pdf>

                                  Maybe that's what they're doing with all that dirt from the (non) tunnel
                                  excavation - sending it topside to shore up the memorial :)

                                  Albert

                                  I saw a presentation at DFI in Boston two years ago about the Jefferson
                                  Memorial Plaza rehab. Contractor was Schnabel Foundation Co. and damage
                                  they were repairing appeared quite "suddenly" right around the time that
                                  rumors about a secret tunnel project began circulating.

                                  The presentation was fairly standard except for one slide that showed
                                  piezometer (ground water pressure) data under the memorial. The data showed
                                  a linear increase down to roughly 100' where it sharply *decreased*.
                                  Schnabel presented this data to the Park Service and insisted that they
                                  needed to find out what was causing the draw-down. Predictably, they were
                                  told not to worry about it and just fix the memorial...

                                  I'm surprised that slide made it into public presentations. To a room full
                                  of geotechnical engineers, it was fairly obvious what was happening....

                                  On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 2:23 PM, Mike Cowen <weldedrail@...> wrote:

                                  > **
                                  >

                                  > Any news if they managed to re-level the Jefferson Memorial? Sure was
                                  > a lot of noise about it sinking, now rather quiet. Would have been
                                  > rather embarrassing to have a national memorial fall into their
                                  > "secret" hole along with a breach of the tidal basin.
                                  >
                                  > Mike
                                  >

                                  > At 11:06 AM 7/27/2013, you wrote:
                                  > >

                                  > >Might be a combined logo for Clark Construction and Kiewet.
                                  > >
                                  > >A combined sign of the two at the project with similar colors:
                                  > >
                                  > ><http://cryptome.org/eyeball/dcnavy/pict167.jpg>
                                  > http://cryptome.org/eyeball/dcnavy/pict167.jpg
                                  >

                                  > >Kiewet is a tunneling contractor, Clark usually surface.
                                  > >
                                  > >A long-running project, not at all clear where it is running to and
                                  > >from. My guess is still an evacuation route from the White House,
                                  > >with stops along the way to gather other VIPs. Where headed? Some
                                  > >have speculated out toward Leesburg but it may branch into several
                                  > >directions. A lot of underground work around the globe.
                                  > >Certainly a lot in the US. Nothing like it since the Cold War.
                                  > >
                                  > >At 12:58 PM 7/27/2013, you wrote:
                                  > > >

                                  > > >Any new information on this long-running project?
                                  > > >
                                  > > >Anyone recognize the logo on this truck, seen exiting the site in
                                  > > >an
                                  > April
                                  > > >2011 Google Streetview shot?
                                  > > >
                                  > > ><<http://goo.gl/maps/vJp2B>http://goo.gl/maps/vJp2B>
                                  > http://goo.gl/maps/vJp2B
                                  >

                                  > > >In a Bing aerial image, I saw a pickup with the same yellow body,
                                  > > >black
                                  > hood
                                  > > >and white toolbox, as well as two other yellow pickups.
                                  > > >
                                  > > >Albert

                                  Jim Browne

                                • Jim Browne
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jul 31, 2016
                                    "As the groundwater conditions have changed...."

                                    On Sun, Jul 31, 2016 at 7:28 PM, 'Albert LaFrance'
                                    albert.lafrance@... [coldwarcomms] <coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com

                                    Jim Browne