Re: Nationwide Emergency Telecommunications Service(NETS)

  • Kevin Anderson, K9IUA
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 18, 2013
      How does NAWAS (National Warning System) fit into any of this? This is non-switched hierarchial "party-line" system, which uses specialized phones at each site. Some 2200+ nodes exist. It predates NETS, but has been apparently carried to the present. While GETS is switched through the phone system, I'd love to know whether NAWAS actually goes through the PSN network as dedicated lines using "old" switches (like NETS with the 4ESS) or if it is in fact dependent on a functioning PSTN/IXP network like the rest of the phone system today after the Bell breakup. The NAWAS manual is not clear on this.
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NAWAS
      http://www.fema.gov/pdf/library/1550_2.pdf

      Kevin Anderson

      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 18, 2013
        Here is an analysis of "Demo 94",the first operational demonstration of the Government Emergency Telecommunications Service(GETS).

        Note the use of the "joker 4ESS" at Dranesville.

        http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADA325801

        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 18, 2013
          As you know, NAWAS was a warning system connecting state/local CD locations with federal entities; it used dedicated multipoint 4W private line circuits (GP4285-nn et al) within regions, and had interconnecting capability nationwide with all regions; the only PSN connection may have been dialup back up between certain locations.

          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 19, 2013
            So, are you saying that dedicated physical point-to-point wire exists everywhere to implement NAWAS? Or is it accomplished by dedicated circuits that were always connected entries in the old analog trunk groups and today are reserved bits, slots, or packets in T1, OC-3, OC-48, etc., traffic over fiber?

            > As you know, NAWAS was a warning system connecting state/local CD locations with federal entities; it used dedicated multipoint 4W private line circuits (GP4285-nn et al) within regions, and had interconnecting capability nationwide with all regions; the only PSN connection may have been dialup back up between certain locations.
            >

            > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Anderson, K9IUA" <k9iua@> wrote:
            > >
            > > How does NAWAS (National Warning System) fit into any of this? This is non-switched hierarchial "party-line" system, which uses specialized phones at each site. Some 2200+ nodes exist. It predates NETS, but has been apparently carried to the present. While GETS is switched through the phone system, I'd love to know whether NAWAS actually goes through the PSN network as dedicated lines using "old" switches (like NETS with the 4ESS) or if it is in fact dependent on a functioning PSTN/IXP network like the rest of the phone system today after the Bell breakup. The NAWAS manual is not clear on this.
            > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NAWAS
            > > http://www.fema.gov/pdf/library/1550_2.pdf
            > >
            > > Kevin Anderson

          • John K Scoggin, Jr
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 19, 2013
              Here's a website with info from the manufacturer of the NAWAS instruments:
              http://comlabs.com/4-wire-systems-overview

              john

              --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com <mailto:coldwarcomms%40yahoogroups.com>

              <mailto:coldwarcomms%40yahoogroups.com> , "Kevin Anderson, K9IUA" <k9iua@>

              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 19, 2013
                Back in the day(1960's-1980's)NAWAS(and all non-PSN) circuits were assigned on broadband(sometimes short haul,like N) intercity(12)channel groups, typically a mix of PSN & private line circuits.Trunk Groups were usually thought of as PSN circuits 1-n between city A & Z, which might require any number of "channel groups" between them.Private lines did not go into a switch and break out there.

                A typical NAWAS configuration in larger CO's was channel group(bank)T&R from a distant city wired to 4 wire 4 way bridges,ringer/SF,pads,amps,switching relays,etc to tie pairs to the local MDF ,then cable pairs to the customer location;other bridge legs fed other customer locations and/or channel groups to other cities.

                With the advent of 4E switches, designated channel groups were "groomed", with private lines rerouted elsewhere,so that all 12 channels carried PSN circuits going into the switch via D banks or T-mux.

                --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Anderson, K9IUA" <k9iua@...> wrote:

                > So, are you saying that dedicated physical point-to-point wire exists everywhere to implement NAWAS? Or is it accomplished by dedicated circuits that were always connected entries in the old analog trunk groups and today are reserved bits, slots, or packets in T1, OC-3, OC-48, etc., traffic over fiber?
                >
                > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "OZOB99" <ozob99@> wrote:
                > >
                > > As you know, NAWAS was a warning system connecting state/local CD locations with federal entities; it used dedicated multipoint 4W private line circuits (GP4285-nn et al) within regions, and had interconnecting capability nationwide with all regions; the only PSN connection may have been dialup back up between certain locations.
                > >

                > > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Anderson, K9IUA" <k9iua@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > How does NAWAS (National Warning System) fit into any of this? This is non-switched hierarchial "party-line" system, which uses specialized phones at each site. Some 2200+ nodes exist. It predates NETS, but has been apparently carried to the present. While GETS is switched through the phone system, I'd love to know whether NAWAS actually goes through the PSN network as dedicated lines using "old" switches (like NETS with the 4ESS) or if it is in fact dependent on a functioning PSTN/IXP network like the rest of the phone system today after the Bell breakup. The NAWAS manual is not clear on this.
                > > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NAWAS
                > > > http://www.fema.gov/pdf/library/1550_2.pdf
                > > >
                > > > Kevin Anderson

              • Kevin Anderson, K9IUA
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 19, 2013
                  Thanks. I understood most of what you described.

                  There is a reason for my asking, as I am trying to know and understand whether we have any form of national and state level landline communication (such as NAWAS might be) that doesn't rely on all the complex electronics of the modern telephone system or on fiber for its intercity/interoffice transit. I'm not thinking about "hardened" in the Cold War or modern EMP basis, but something nonetheless rudimentary that could form the basis for ongoing communication when the "whiz-bang" equipment is no longer functional. Examples might include NAWAS or in how the NWS feeds its distributed National Weather Radio transmitters.

                  Kevin Anderson

                  > Back in the day(1960's-1980's)NAWAS(and all non-PSN) circuits were assigned on broadband(sometimes short haul,like N) intercity(12)channel groups, typically a mix of PSN & private line circuits.Trunk Groups were usually thought of as PSN circuits 1-n between city A & Z, which might require any number of "channel groups" between them.Private lines did not go into a switch and break out there.
                  >
                  > A typical NAWAS configuration in larger CO's was channel group(bank)T&R from a distant city wired to 4 wire 4 way bridges,ringer/SF,pads,amps,switching relays,etc to tie pairs to the local MDF ,then cable pairs to the customer location;other bridge legs fed other customer locations and/or channel groups to other cities.
                  >
                  > With the advent of 4E switches, designated channel groups were "groomed", with private lines rerouted elsewhere,so that all 12 channels carried PSN circuits going into the switch via D banks or T-mux.
                  >

                  > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Anderson, K9IUA" <k9iua@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > So, are you saying that dedicated physical point-to-point wire exists everywhere to implement NAWAS? Or is it accomplished by dedicated circuits that were always connected entries in the old analog trunk groups and today are reserved bits, slots, or packets in T1, OC-3, OC-48, etc., traffic over fiber?
                  > >
                  > > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "OZOB99" <ozob99@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > As you know, NAWAS was a warning system connecting state/local CD locations with federal entities; it used dedicated multipoint 4W private line circuits (GP4285-nn et al) within regions, and had interconnecting capability nationwide with all regions; the only PSN connection may have been dialup back up between certain locations.

                • John K Scoggin, Jr
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 19, 2013
                    NWS' network is completely separate from FEMA's NAWAS network. The
                    forecast offices have NAWAS terminals though. There are gateways between
                    NWS' data network and the FEMA Emergency Alerting System (they are or are in
                    the process of converting primarily to an IP-based system).

                    Each NWS office has a computer-based speech generator which converts alerts
                    and forecasts into speech which is steered to the various VHF transmitters
                    in their NWR system. If you get a chance, attend one of the forecast office
                    tours - they are pretty interesting.

                    John

                    NWS Telecom network: http://www.nws.noaa.gov/tg/

                    NWS Radio: http://www.nws.noaa.gov/nwr/newvoice.htm

                    FEMA EAS: http://www.fema.gov/emergency-alert-system

                    wrote:

                    is non-switched hierarchial "party-line" system, which uses specialized
                    phones at each site. Some 2200+ nodes exist. It predates NETS, but has been
                    apparently carried to the present. While GETS is switched through the phone
                    system, I'd love to know whether NAWAS actually goes through the PSN network
                    as dedicated lines using "old" switches (like NETS with the 4ESS) or if it
                    is in fact dependent on a functioning PSTN/IXP network like the rest of the
                    phone system today after the Bell breakup. The NAWAS manual is not clear on
                    this.

                  • Kevin Anderson, K9IUA
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 19, 2013
                      In mentioning the NWS, I was thinking of the "last mile" for them - the link from each WFO to each respective NWR VHF transmitter site they are responsible for. I've presumed that is also by some dedicated telephone circuit to keep the infrastructure simple, since each voice broadcast is currently rendered in the forecast office.

                      As an end-user of the National Weather Radio system, I'm trying to understand its vulnerabilities.

                      Kevin Anderson

                      --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "John K Scoggin, Jr" <aat3bf@...> wrote:

                      > NWS' network is completely separate from FEMA's NAWAS network. The
                      > forecast offices have NAWAS terminals though. There are gateways between
                      > NWS' data network and the FEMA Emergency Alerting System (they are or are in
                      > the process of converting primarily to an IP-based system).
                      >
                      > Each NWS office has a computer-based speech generator which converts alerts
                      > and forecasts into speech which is steered to the various VHF transmitters
                      > in their NWR system. If you get a chance, attend one of the forecast office
                      > tours - they are pretty interesting.
                      >
                      > John
                      >
                      > NWS Telecom network: http://www.nws.noaa.gov/tg/
                      > NWS Radio: http://www.nws.noaa.gov/nwr/newvoice.htm

                    • Mike Cowen
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 19, 2013
                        That brings up memories... The first time I heard the female voice
                        in DEN say "tonight" so passionately, I was ready for a cold shower.
                        :-) It was just that one word that sounded SO real. Sadly, here in
                        PHX, we have the male voice which suffers no such realism...

                        Mike

                        At 08:19 AM 7/19/2013, you wrote:

                        >Each NWS office has a computer-based speech generator which converts alerts
                        >and forecasts into speech... [snip]
                        >
                        >John

                        and selfless acts of beauty.
                        mcowen@... -Anonymous
                      • wftroskey
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 20, 2013
                          The Model 207 is the one we had in our dispatch center for many years prior to us moving to another city.

                          Before that, it was a plain black handset with a PTT button in the handgrip, connected to a 4" x 2" box on the wall with a cradle-style hookswitch sticking out of it.

                          I kinda miss having that.

                          I seem to recall coming across a "users manual" of sorts 25-or-so years ago; thought it might have included a simplified diagram of how it all worked, including the 4w-4w bridges. That document (as well as any vivid memory I may have had of it) is long gone.

                          Bill

                          --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "John K Scoggin, Jr" <aat3bf@...> wrote:

                          > Here's a website with info from the manufacturer of the NAWAS instruments:
                          > http://comlabs.com/4-wire-systems-overview
                          >

                          > john

                        • wftroskey
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 20, 2013
                            Not to get too far OT, but I love when the software mispronounces things. (For a while, our local station pronounced LaGrange as "Louisiana Grange". Now it says "LAH-Grinj".) And we still have the female voice for the marine forecast...... ;-))

                            Bill

                            Message 13 of 16 , Jul 20, 2013
                              Here is a NAWAS BSP overview; I think others in this series have some CO configurations but I have'nt found them online yet:

                              http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/browse/bsps/by-division-number/doc_view/10114-310-539-001-i1

                              The NAWAS operation manuals previously posted have gone "404", so here is a 1966 version:

                              http://www.scribd.com/doc/80541944/National-Warning-System-1966

> [...]
                              > > >
                              > > > http://www.dhs.gov/telecommunications-service-priority-tsp
                              > > > http://www.dhs.gov/shares
                              > > >
                              > > > I've been a support contractor for GETS & WPS from '97-'10 and back again from last May until I go off the program in early September.  One of the documents I have in my archive file is a Xerox copy of a NETS brochure.  The easiest way to differentiate between the two is that NETS was intended to be a hardened, Federal-only, parallel network carried along by the PSTN, while GETS is an integrated element within the PSTN provided on a voluntary basis by the carriers, administered by the government and open to membership and use by Federal, state, tribal and local governments as well as the private sector and non-governmental organzation community, as long as the individual who use GETS & WPS perform national security / emergency preparedness functions.

                            • unrecognizedresponse
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jul 20, 2013
                                NAWAS Manual, 2001:
                                http://www.fema.gov/pdf/library/1550_2.pdf

                                2005:
                                http://www.fema.gov/library/file?type=publishedFile&file=national_warning_system_operations.pdf&fileid=cc5905b0-6a36-11e1-a5e0-001cc456982e

                                Most info. points to EAS Primary Entry Points using the AT&T NAWAS network and Comlabs equip. It seems like the radio station ENDEC's are merely treated like NAWAS drops, except the terminal is not a desk set. NWR is still supposed to have an attack warning function (IIRC). NWS Forecast Offices (control points for the NWR xmitters) can receive the attack warning code via the NOAA wire and NAWAS. They have an attack warning script to read (we would hope Not automated) over NWR. Interoperability with EAS Presidential messages over NWR has never been well defined. I don't think they have a signal path. They'd have to transmit an EAN over NWR and advise people to tune elsewhere.

                                This is probably the best resource I've found on the topic, although how much remains valid, I don't know. National Telecommunications Management Structure, SHARES NCS, FNARS and NECN have been the last resort (HF) links when wireline, IP and satellite fail. Supposedly, they had Harris Corp HF receivers at EAS PEP stations as an entry point from federal and military HF. The broadcast quality would be awful (like WWII overseas shortwave links, only worse with SSB). They were supposed to be providing triple redundancy to PEP's via HF, LL and Sirius XM.
                                http://web.archive.org/web/20080625023050/http://www.cdc.gov/phin/conference/04conference/05-27-04/Session_12D_Ross_Merlin.pdf

                                http://www.defcon.org/images/defcon-16/dc16-presentations/defcon-16-flux.pdf

                                However, the ref. to "Spectel Operators Guide for EAS and Blast Conferences" in 2005 NAWAS makes me think they might be using Spectel bridges for EAS. I am almost positive they've said AT&T does and always has provided for NAWAS, EAS, and EBS.

                                I came across something saying the primary reason for the 2011 EAS test failure was the use of a PSTN conference instead of the normal PEP conference. They fed radio station "on hold" music (Lady Gaga) into the network.