Re: [coldwarcomms] Re: Feldberg, was Autovon again

    Message 1 of 30 , Jul 7, 2013
      On 7/7/13 8:23 AM, wftroskey wrote:

      > It was one of the "gateway" switches that had IST's back to the states.

      ?IST??
    • Matt Ashe
      Message 2 of 30 , Jul 7, 2013
        Inter-switch Trunk

        Message 3 of 30 , Jul 7, 2013
          Feldberg and Langerkopf were both great sites. I have what I believe the
          last orders for Feldberg as a tech controller.

          MA

          Message 4 of 30 , Jul 8, 2013
            Feldberg was the location of a 1982 trial for concentrating Inter Switch Trunks(more commonly called Inter Machine Trunks in CONUS).

            From a paper titled "Operational Evaluation of a Voice Concentrator Over AUTOVON Interswitch Trunks", published in
            Communications, IEEE Transactions on (Volume:30 , Issue: 4; I have'nt found it online.

            "This paper describes results of test and evaluation of a commercial voice concentrator applied to AUTOVON interswitch trunks between Feldberg, Germany and Ft. Detrick, MD. By virtue of time assignment speech interpolation (TASI) techniques, the voice concentrator provided approximately a 2-to-1 compression of voice channels onto trunks, with a configuration of 17 channels onto nine trunks selected for this AUTOVON application. Tests consisted of: 1) signaling performance characterization through the voice concentrator, 2) voice channel characterization of the nine selected trunks before and after cutover of the voice concentrator, 3) performance characterization of data signals operated through voice concentrator channels, 4) traffic data collection and analysis, and 5) user subjective evaluation. Test results indicated acceptable performance for the intended application, which was limited primarily to voice signals. Since completion of the testing and subsequent analysis, the Defense Communications Agency (DCA) has accepted the voice concentrator system for operational use with AUTOVON IST's in the Defense Communications System (DCS)."

            The IST's were most likely terminated at the nearby Monrovia switch,with access lines to Ft Detrick.

            Message 5 of 30 , Jul 9, 2013
              When I was at Langerkopf in 86-88, we had a TASI to Ramstein and there was
              one from Feldberg to Dranesville. When I went to Feldberg/Rhein Main in 91,
              the Feldberg to Dranesville system was still in but was taken out soon after
              the site was unmanned. TASI was a pretty ingenious system for its' time.

              Matt

              Feldberg was the location of a 1982 trial for concentrating Inter Switch
              Trunks(more commonly called Inter Machine Trunks in CONUS).

              From a paper titled "Operational Evaluation of a Voice Concentrator Over
              AUTOVON Interswitch Trunks", published in

              Message 6 of 30 , Jul 9, 2013
                Goes way back, developed in late 1950's, in service since 1960:

                http://www.alcatel.hu/bstj/vol41-1962/articles/bstj41-4-1439.pdf

                --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Ashe" <matt@...> wrote:

                > When I was at Langerkopf in 86-88, we had a TASI to Ramstein and there was
                > one from Feldberg to Dranesville. When I went to Feldberg/Rhein Main in 91,
                > the Feldberg to Dranesville system was still in but was taken out soon after
                > the site was unmanned. TASI was a pretty ingenious system for its' time.
                >
                > Matt

              • wftroskey
                Message 7 of 30 , Jul 10, 2013
                  Matt, weren't you the one who pretty much "turned off the lights & closed the door behind you" at Feldberg?

                  A few months before I left Feldberg in the spring of 1981, we got a large piece of equipment called the "COM2". It was a voice compression device which used a 12-channel group & compressed speech from several(I don't remember the exact number, but 17 sounds about right)AUTOVON circuits out of the switch. Basically it took all the gaps in a person's speech & shoved a syllable or 2 from someone else's speech into those gaps. I recall that it was quite interesting to listen to. The most vivid memory I have of it is of the alarm going off frequently (usually at night) & having to wake up the one guy (why is it always just one guy?) who went to the 2 week training course on the thing to come over & figure out what was going on. Maybe they got the bugs worked out after I left, but like most new equipment, it was a pain in the backside for a while.

                  And Matt is right about Feldberg - it was a fun place to live & work.

                  Bill

                  P.S. to Matt - George Sutton was the one who was trained on the COM2; maybe we'll have to ask him for some more details.

                • lasertower
                  Message 8 of 30 , Jul 10, 2013
                    A liitle Googling turned up several "Feldburg" sites.

                    This one is amazing. Take the time to go through all the images, its massive, and spectacular:

                    http://en.structurae.de/structures/data/index.cfm?ID=s0012605

                    Steve
                  • wftroskey
                    Message 9 of 30 , Jul 10, 2013
                      That is Grosse (large) Feldberg. It is a German telecom site, located on the mountain by the same name. Our Feldberg was located just ESE of that. We took a tour of GF when I was there; very impressive. The upper structure contains some TV & radio broadcast antennas & is made entirely of wood. Microwave horns are behind the canvas in the middle section. Supposedly it was used as a jamming station during WWII.

                      Bill

                      --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "lasertower" <osr@...> wrote:

                      > A liitle Googling turned up several "Feldburg" sites.
                      >
                      > This one is amazing. Take the time to go through all the images, its massive, and spectacular:
                      >
                      > http://en.structurae.de/structures/data/index.cfm?ID=s0012605
                      >
                      > Steve

                    • wftroskey
                      Message 10 of 30 , Jul 10, 2013
                        Since AUTOVON seems to be the topic du jour, I posted some photos of the Feldberg switch from the early '70's in the AUTOVON album.

                        Message 11 of 30 , Jul 10, 2013
                          This seems to be your site:

                          http://www.usarmygermany.com/Sont.htm?http&&&www.usarmygermany.com/Units/Signal/USAREUR_68thSigBn%201.htm

                          (it's all one addy

                          --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "wftroskey" <wftroskey@...> wrote:

                          > That is Grosse (large) Feldberg. It is a German telecom site, located on the mountain by the same name. Our Feldberg was located just ESE of that. We took a tour of GF when I was there; very impressive. The upper structure contains some TV & radio broadcast antennas & is made entirely of wood. Microwave horns are behind the canvas in the middle section. Supposedly it was used as a jamming station during WWII.
                          >

                          > Bill
                          >

                          > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "lasertower" <osr@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > A liitle Googling turned up several "Feldburg" sites.
                          > >
                          > > This one is amazing. Take the time to go through all the images, its massive, and spectacular:
                          > >
                          > > http://en.structurae.de/structures/data/index.cfm?ID=s0012605
                          > >
                          > > Steve

                        • wftroskey
                          Message 12 of 30 , Jul 11, 2013
                            Nope - that one was Army, in the Black Forest in Southern Germany. We were Air Force, & we were in the Taunus Mountains. I don't have GE on this computer, but here's a GM link to our site:

                            http://goo.gl/maps/BivhD

                            If you follow our access road to the north & then west, then follow "L3024" west/southwest, you will find Grosse Feldberg. (I think I previously posted that we were SE of GF, we were actually ENE - sorry about that.) I think GE historical has 1 or 2 better shots of our site than this one - you really can't see the tower very well (although I like the "2 shadows" effect!).

                            There was/is more than one Feldberg. The Deutsche BundesPost (West German phone company) had dibs on the name Feldberg because of Grosse Feldberg, so when we worked with them, we had to refer to ourselves as "Schmitten" (the town on the north side of the mountain). I think the Army site went by Schwartzwald, although we didn't deal with them directly. Kinda like the name "Springfield" here in the US.

                            I have great memories of that place, as does Matt, I'm sure.

                            Bill

                            Message 13 of 30 , Aug 18 2:23 PM
                              In case this directory hasn't been posted here, it's available online at:

                              http://www.scribd.com/doc/154168500/Global-AUTOVON-Directory-1986

                              --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "Blake Bowers" <bbowerslists@...> wrote:

                              > Looking through the Autovon directory for 1986, there is no listing for
                              > operator services. There is a listing showing 4 sites called MANUAL
                              > ALTERNATE CONTROL CENTERS,
                              >
                              > Chesterfield, Lamar, Mojave, and Williamstown.
                              >

                              > Could this be what some where calling operator assistance centers?
                              >

                              > They also list 5 "AUTOVON SUBNETWORKS"
                              >

                              > JCS-ACA at Williamstown
                              >
                              > MACA at Mounds
                              >
                              > SAC at Lyons
                              >
                              > MCDS at Dranesville
                              >
                              > NACS at CMC (PVAS-WAS)
                              >

                              > What where these? The majority of stations served by Mounds were Air
                              > Force, could that have been Military Airlift Command? It would make sense
                              > that SAC at Lyons was Strategic Air Command, JCS Joint Chiefs of Staff?

                            • opscom911
                              Message 14 of 30 , Aug 19 12:44 PM
                                This is a great AUTOVON document.

                                Is there a PDF copy anywhere?

                                Message 15 of 30 , Aug 19 1:30 PM
                                  There were a number of hacks to d/l from scribd;i haven't tried in awhile and they change often, google "how to d/l(or print)from scribd+2013" for the latest methods.

                                  --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "opscom911" <emrops@...> wrote:

                                  > This is a great AUTOVON document.
                                  >
                                  > Is there a PDF copy anywhere?
                                  >

                                  > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "OZOB99" <ozob99@> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > In case this directory hasn't been posted here, it's available online at:
                                  > >

                                  > > http://www.scribd.com/doc/154168500/Global-AUTOVON-Directory-1986
                                  > >

                                  > > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "Blake Bowers" <bbowerslists@> wrote:
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Looking through the Autovon directory for 1986, there is no listing for
                                  > > > operator services. There is a listing showing 4 sites called MANUAL
                                  > > > ALTERNATE CONTROL CENTERS,
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Chesterfield, Lamar, Mojave, and Williamstown.
                                  > > >

                                  > > > Could this be what some where calling operator assistance centers?
                                  > > >

                                  > > > They also list 5 "AUTOVON SUBNETWORKS"
                                  > > >

                                  > > > JCS-ACA at Williamstown
                                  > > >
                                  > > > MACA at Mounds
                                  > > >
                                  > > > SAC at Lyons
                                  > > >
                                  > > > MCDS at Dranesville
                                  > > >
                                  > > > NACS at CMC (PVAS-WAS)
                                  > > >

                                  > > > What where these? The majority of stations served by Mounds were Air
                                  > > > Force, could that have been Military Airlift Command? It would make sense
                                  > > > that SAC at Lyons was Strategic Air Command, JCS Joint Chiefs of Staff?

                                • Mike Cowen
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Aug 19 4:15 PM
                                    Albert, Sam,

                                    Got a place on your server for this?

                                    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ksre67i76ysjm5z/Global-AUTOVON-Directory-1986.pdf

                                    My account is almost maxed out, so I can't keep
                                    it available too long. Grab it while you can.

                                    Mike

                                    Message 17 of 30 , Aug 21 9:35 AM
                                      A couple more directories:

                                      USSTRATCOM ABNCP

                                      http://www.hiddenmessagejournal.com/nist/USSTRATCOM_FOIA_11-023_Sept-11-2001_Global_Guardian/FOIA%2011-023%20Response%20pgs%20353-398.pdf

                                      US SOUTHCOM

                                      http://ia801701.us.archive.org/10/items/USArmedForcesTelephoneDirectoryPanamaCanal1988/USArmedForcesTelephoneDirectoryPanamaCanal1988.pdf

                                      > In case this directory hasn't been posted here, it's available online at:
                                      >

                                      > http://www.scribd.com/doc/154168500/Global-AUTOVON-Directory-1986
                                      >

                                      > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "Blake Bowers" <bbowerslists@> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > Looking through the Autovon directory for 1986, there is no listing for
                                      > > operator services. There is a listing showing 4 sites called MANUAL
                                      > > ALTERNATE CONTROL CENTERS,
                                      > >
                                      > > Chesterfield, Lamar, Mojave, and Williamstown.
                                      > >

                                      > > Could this be what some where calling operator assistance centers?
                                      > >

                                      > > They also list 5 "AUTOVON SUBNETWORKS"
                                      > >

                                      > > JCS-ACA at Williamstown
                                      > >
                                      > > MACA at Mounds
                                      > >
                                      > > SAC at Lyons
                                      > >
                                      > > MCDS at Dranesville
                                      > >
                                      > > NACS at CMC (PVAS-WAS)
                                      > >

                                      > > What where these? The majority of stations served by Mounds were Air
                                      > > Force, could that have been Military Airlift Command? It would make sense
                                      > > that SAC at Lyons was Strategic Air Command, JCS Joint Chiefs of Staff?

                                    • Tim
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Aug 21 8:08 PM
                                        On 8/21/2013 10:35 AM, OZOB99 wrote:

                                        > USSTRATCOM ABNCP
                                        >
                                        > http://www.hiddenmessagejournal.com/nist/USSTRATCOM_FOIA_11-023_Sept-11-2001_Global_Guardian/FOIA%2011-023%20Response%20pgs%20353-398.pdf

                                        Circa the mid-1990s, I boarded a 7th ACCS EC-135C airborne command
                                        post aircraft on public display during the Offutt AFB Open House.
                                        With the modernized comms gear aboard the EC-135C, it was pretty
                                        easy to sanitize the aircraft for a public walk thru -- don't cock it
                                        for SIOP,
                                        & leave the power off -- no longer a need to manually zeroize the
                                        analog radio frequency controls, etc. since pretty much everything was now
                                        CRT/plasma display based.

                                        In addition, a few poor crew members were aboard the aircraft to
                                        answer the usual "How many bombs does it carry?" questions
                                        from the public & ensure no one stole anything not triple-bolted down.

                                        So imagine my surprise to find that these airborne nuclear war
                                        operations specialists didn't have the intelligence and/or the
                                        2 minutes of free time to remove the laminated instructions for using
                                        the (then) new 'North Star' air/ground telephone system
                                        that were velcro'ed next to each of the telephone handsets in the
                                        aircraft, with information including some of the DSN & POTS
                                        access #s, etc.

                                        Of course, back then & still *today,* someone monitoring the
                                        non-secure high frequency radio traffic and UHF MUX circuits
                                        has access to the same information, despite it being redacted due to its
                                        sensitivity from the above FOIA'ed document.

                                        While aboard the EC-135C, I was sure to carefully take a close-up
                                        photo of one of the North Star info cards. A fellow
                                        sight-seer about 10' behind me in the Battlestaff section noticed my
                                        focus (pun intended) on the info card, and I believe he was
                                        an off-duty crewmember showing his son the plane, because he suddenly
                                        got a little bellicose while looking at me and
                                        excitedly tried to tell the uniformed crewmember in that section that I
                                        was (somehow) doing something wrong. Meanwhile,
                                        I pretended not to notice & continued to go about my business & then got
                                        off the aircraft & blended back into the masses.

                                        I waited about 90 minutes, ditching my camera in my car & buying a
                                        nice 7th ACCS ballcap to wear, and re-boarded the
                                        EC-135C. I had an enjoyable time talking to a comms officer (CAPT
                                        Benevidez), and noticed that thanks to my earlier heroic
                                        actions, they had pulled the laminated North Star cards off the handsets
                                        -- hopefully before the local Russian spies had
                                        gotten aboard.

                                        In a similar fashion, I've made the argument here before that the
                                        old Strategic Air Command Emergency Action Console
                                        that was donated to the Strategic Air & Space Museum (formerly known as
                                        the SAC Museum, until the flouride-drinking
                                        pussies on the Board of Directors changed the name) was not properly
                                        sanitized, in terms of some visible commercial &
                                        DSN phone #s left on it. If you're familiar with the 939 exchange,
                                        you'll understand what I mean.

                                        98% of the people won't have a clue as to the significance, but it's
                                        that half percent of the other two percent that
                                        you need to worry about, especially if you like to think of yourself as
                                        a competent nuclear war-fighting agency.

                                        Tim
                                      • Facility 406 DM09
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Aug 21 9:53 PM
                                          "A fellow sight-seer about 10' behind me in the Battlestaff section noticed
                                          my
                                          focus (pun intended) on the info card"

                                          That's the nice thing about the almost microscopic HD still image and video
                                          systems available for a few bucks. Hide it on your person, in a hat, behind
                                          a button, in glasses, you see it, so does it and nobody else.

                                          Kurt
                                        • coloradoredlands
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Aug 21 11:51 PM
                                            Is there any chance you would post that pic in the files section?

                                            Chris
                                            Colorado

                                            Message 21 of 30 , Aug 22 3:23 AM
                                              On 8/22/2013 12:51 AM, coloradoredlands@... wrote:

                                              > Is there any chance you would post that pic in the files section?

                                              It's among many hundreds of C3,I related photos taken by me in the 1980s
                                              up until 2002 when I bought a digital camera. If/when I scan it, I would
                                              redact the phone #s before posting it.

                                              Message 22 of 30 , Jan 24
                                                Artwork: "Feldberg Radio Relay Location On Mount Kolbenberg:

                                                http://media.nara.gov/stillpix/330-cfd/1986/DF-SN-86-07114.jpeg
                                              • wftroskey
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Jan 26
                                                  COOL DRAWING!

                                                  I don't know the artist; I'll have to check with the guys on the Feldberg Spokt group to see if anybody there knows more. This was drawn before the blast wall went up, which was built in 1989 or so. I've got photos of the tower from that angle, but this is really neat! Thanks for sharing this, ozob99!

                                                  Looks like they finally got the DEB up & running by 1985; They were "planning" it in 1981 when I left, but hadn't installed anything yet. The 2 dishes on the lower left side of the tower with the long feedhorns were for the DEB. The flat antenna at the top was the difraction shot to Lindsey Air Station in Weisbaden.

                                                  The building on the right was the power building where the commercial power cable came into the site & the generators were housed. The building on the left is the "hunting lodge", which was the original building on the site. The buildings housing the TCF & switch were built around this building, on all sides except the side facing the tower. The upstairs was originally where site personnel lived in the '60's; it later housed admin offices. There was a kitchen downstairs where site personnel cooked all their meals; that was also replaced when the dormitory was built at the north end of the site (left of frame in the drawing).

                                                  Bill Troskey
                                                  Feldberg 1979-1981