Re: Memphis Junction GEP ATT LL site

    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 3, 2013
      AFAIK MMPHARJC was an Echo-Fox only GEP; Autovon was MMPHARDS0. It appears to have been a Bell or Independent location(although no "X" in the CLLI).It's not in the CWA-LL union contract as a work location prior
      to 1984; there was a "West Memphis AR" LL work location after Divestiture, but West Memphis is 20 miles east.

      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 3, 2013
        Given the tower is owned by AT&T, but not a LL work location, I'll postulate that, until we have factual info, this location was analagous to the North Bend WA Autovon switch & a few other places: that is, a LL or Bell broadband station(for intertoll access) next to(or close to) an Autovon switch owned & maintained by a Bell company, an Independent telco, or as in North Bends' case, a quasi telephone co.(Cascade Autovon; whose CLLI was NBNDWA01, without the "X" of an Independent telco).

        > AFAIK MMPHARJC was an Echo-Fox only GEP; Autovon was MMPHARDS0. It appears to have been a Bell or Independent location(although no "X" in the CLLI).It's not in the CWA-LL union contract as a work location prior
        > to 1984; there was a "West Memphis AR" LL work location after Divestiture, but West Memphis is 20 miles east.
        >

        > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "Abe G" <cartoon691@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Still looking for Memphis Junction GEP ATT LL site. Any help would be great..

      • Blake Bowers
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 3, 2013
          The autovon switch there was maintained by AT&T, and AT&T still maintains
          fiber at the site, as well as uses the garage for maintence equipment.

          _____

          --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com <mailto:coldwarcomms%40yahoogroups.com>

          <mailto:coldwarcomms%40yahoogroups.com> , "Abe G" <cartoon691@> wrote:

          > > Still looking for Memphis Junction GEP ATT LL site. Any help would be
          great..

        • widebandit
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 3, 2013
            I believe the station was named Forrest City and may be seen on the MW6610-E 1966 Eastern Section map - wa -

            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 4, 2013
              Snippet from a tariff in a previous post:

              Forrest City, AR 528 MMPHARJC V7534 H3229

              Forrest City is roughly 8 miles SSW of the google map image cited below(I have'nt compared the V & H above); FWIW Forrest City is not listed as a LL work location in the 1970's or 80's.The Autovon switch was post 1967.

              --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "widebandit" <widebandit@...> wrote:

              > I believe the station was named Forrest City and may be seen on the MW6610-E 1966 Eastern Section map - wa -
              >
              > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "Blake Bowers" <bbowerslists@> wrote:
              > >
              > > http://goo.gl/maps/rPZo7
              > >

              > > Still owned by AT&T.
              > >

              > > _____

            • s82917
              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 4, 2013
                It looks like AT&T was not consistent regarding the site designation that was used. A 1960 map, and a 1979 map show the site listed as Memphis Jct, while a 1966 map show it as Forrest City. The 1979 map clearly shows Forrest City as a separate repeater location.

                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 4, 2013
                  I think I finally got some definitive info; from a Long Liner familiar with this site. This place is about as convoluted as it gets:

                  It is Memphis Jct, and Forrest City, and Newcastle, a place name nearby. It's in the CWA contract as New Castle, which is a town 80 miles away; and none of the maps showed either New Castle/Newcastle.

                  Here's his response:

                  "Long Lines office Memphis Junction, aka Newcastle, aka Forrest City was/is located about 8 miles NE of Forrest City, AR (named after CSA Lt. Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest). It was a 24-7 manned office with microwave as the transmission connection. It had an autovon ess switch. The first manager there was Loyd Roberts. I believe Loyd had at least three 1st level supervisors at that location plus myself at Little Rock (Alexander, AR a TD-3 BT Labs field trial location) and Blythville, AR (on the St.Louis-Memphis RR route plus L-1 cable route. There was no other building next door. The CWA contract had this location listed as Newcastle I believe. Loyd offered me my first supervisory job at Alexander, AR in 1965. I also had TD-2 responsibility for two RR repeater stations on the LR-Memphis RR Route plus 4 J carrier repeater stations on the St.Louis-LR route and also a C carrier repeater at Walnut Ridge, AR on the St.Louis-Hot Springs C Carrier route. I had previously maintained all these as a technician when I worked at the LR office. My father also worked at the Forrest City office as the District Cable Supervisor for the south half of the St.Louis District."

                • rjfrank1@ymail.com
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 4, 2013
                    I believe the "Forrest City" site indicated on the 1979 AT&T System Map is the Southwestern Bell/AT&T office located at 505 Dillard Avenue.

                    Forrest City (FRCYARMA/WCU420) had paths facing Wynne/WCU219 and Marianna/WDU355.

                    Per the FCC-ULS database, Marianna/KLN71 (AT&T Long Lines) had paths facing Dundee/KLN70 and an "Unnamed Site"/KLN72. Presumably "KLN72" is Memphis Junction (MMPHARJC) based on the various path route maps.

                    The majority of the towers operated by Southwestern Bell in NE Arkansas that are detailed on the 1979 map appear to have been dismantled sometime prior to 2001 although the tower foundations can still be viewed using available imagery at several of the sites, including Forrest City. Weiner, West Helena, and West Memphis sites remain standing based on latest available imagery. Historical Google Earth imagery shows several of the now dismantled towers in-service circa 1994.

                    Here is a call sign/coordinate list that I complied from researching the FCC-ULS database for the Southwestern Bell/AllTel/CenturyTel sites in NE Arkansas detailed on the 1979 map as well as the AT&T Long Lines site locations that are twinned (name-wise) with the Southwestern Bell sites but are geographically separated.

                    Batesville/WDU650; SWBT; 35-48-24.3 N, 091-40-53.1 W
                    Blytheville/WCU236; SWBT; 35-55-29.2 N, 089-54-13.3 W
                    Bono/WCU294; SWBT; 35-51-49.5 N, 090-48-54.4 W
                    Caraway/WCU235; SWBT; 35-45-42.2 N, 090-18-56.3 W
                    Cash/WCU295; SWBT; 35-47-55.3 N, 090-55-57.3 W
                    Cave City/WCU293; SWBT; 35-56-26.2 N, 091-32-49.4 W
                    Cherry Valley/WHQ537; SWBT; 35-24-11.3 N, 090-45-18.4 W
                    Cornerstone/WCU292; SWBT; 35-34-40.5 N, 091-34-06.3 W
                    Dell/TBD
                    Elaine/WDU511; AllTel; 34-18-31.3 N, 090-51-20.3 W
                    Forrest City/WCU420; SWBT; 35-00-47.3 N, 090-47-08.4 W
                    Gilmore/WCU238; SWBT; 35-25-26.3 N, 090-14-03.3 W
                    Hickory Ridge/WCU418; SWBT; 35-23-51.3 N, 090-59-37.4 W
                    Joiner/TBD
                    Jonesburo/KKB55; SWBT; 35-50-10.8 N, 090-42-16.3 W
                    Leachville/WCU435; CenturyTel; 35-56-14.2 N, 090-15-24.3 W
                    Marianna/WDU355; SWBT; 34-46-19.3 N, 090-45-32.4 W
                    Monette/WCU434; CenturyTel; 35-53-21.2 N, 090-20-31.3 W
                    Newport/WCU291; SWBT; 35-36-20.4 N, 091-16-01.5 W
                    Lake City/WDU627; CenturyTel; 35-49-08.2 N, 090-26-33.3 W
                    Walnut Ridge/WCU296; SWBT; 36-04-02.2 N, 090-57-38.4 W
                    Weiner/WCU339; SWBT; 35-36-30.2 N, 090-56-03.3 W
                    West Memphis/WFY536; SWBT; 35-09-19.3 N, 090-10-50.3 W
                    West Helena/WDU356; SWBT; 34-33-42.3 N, 090-42-16.3 W
                    Wilson/TBD
                    Wynne/WCU419; SWBT; 35-13-26.3 N, 090-47-11.4 W

                    Bay/BAY-ARQ0010/KKB54; AT&T; 35-44-30.2 N, 090-33-12.3 W
                    Cherry Valley/CHVYARQ0010/TBD; AT&T; 35-23-57.74" N, 90-42-42.66 W
                    Marianna/MRNNARQ0010/KLN71; AT&T; 34-43-16.3 N, 090-43-26.3 W
                    Memphis Junction/MMPHARJC/TBD; AT&T; 35-5-32.29" N, 90-43-9.19" W
                    West Helena/WHLNARQ0010/TBD; AT&T; 34-34-1.28" N, 90-37-37.22" W

                    --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "s82917" <s82917@...> wrote:

                    > It looks like AT&T was not consistent regarding the site designation that was used. A 1960 map, and a 1979 map show the site listed as Memphis Jct, while a 1966 map show it as Forrest City. The 1979 map clearly shows Forrest City as a separate repeater location.
                    >

                    > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "widebandit" <widebandit@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I believe the station was named Forrest City and may be seen on the MW6610-E 1966 Eastern Section map - wa -
                    > >
                    > > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "Blake Bowers" <bbowerslists@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > http://goo.gl/maps/rPZo7
                    > > >

                    > > > Still owned by AT&T.
                    > > >

                    > > > _____

                  • Blake Bowers
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 4, 2013
                      Gilmore was removed, and the building remained. All the copper wiring,
                      including the drop was stolen in 2009. Grrr. Still has an upright
                      generator.

                      West Memphis is still there as you state, on a small plot of land surrounded
                      by the adjoining companies land (you have to go through the guard shack to
                      get there)

                      Cave city was removed. (Sniff. It was right in town, and tremendous self
                      supporter)

                      Bay is still there - it was SWBT (SWBT was in a fenced in area inside the
                      building) and AT&T. Great tower right in town. AT&T is still the owner,
                      with active fiber on site.

                      _____

                      <mailto:coldwarcomms%40yahoogroups.com> , "Blake Bowers" <bbowerslists@>
                      wrote:

                      > > > http://goo.gl/maps/rPZo7
                      > > >

                      > > > Still owned by AT&T.
                      > > >

                      > > > _____
                      > > >
                      > > > From: coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com
                      <mailto:coldwarcomms%40yahoogroups.com>
                      > > > Still looking for Memphis Junction GEP ATT LL site. Any help would be
                      > > > great..

                    • Abe G
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jul 5, 2013
                        I would like to thank everyone on this list who responded, Wow Ive been doing this for a while and have Autovon sites ploted on Google earth. Doing this for the GEP and it the small sites that you cant find and usually need help with.

                      • Blake Bowers
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jul 5, 2013
                          From a 1986 Autovon directory

                          Memphis Junction AR SMN128 COC 435

                          ICM480

                          Then the Manger Telephone, name and number, Testboard Supv, Switch supv,
                          Testboard #, Switch Tel #, Data phone #

                          CIDS LM0222 & 365

                          All the numbers are Forrest City Exchanges.

                          A 1989 southern region AT&T directory shows Forrest City AR to be at two
                          addresses, downtown at 326 N Rosser, and Rt 1, Box 376, the site out of town
                          that has been marked as the autovon site, which shares that address and
                          telephone number.

                          The other locations in Memphis are either the downtown buildings, small work
                          centers, or retail outlets.

                          _____

                          wrote:

                          > > http://goo.gl/maps/rPZo7
                          > >

                          > > Still owned by AT&T.
                          > >

                          > > _____
                          > >
                          > > From: coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com
                          <mailto:coldwarcomms%40yahoogroups.com>
                          > > Still looking for Memphis Junction GEP ATT LL site. Any help would be
                          > > great..

                        • bd6xray
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jul 6, 2013
                            Good find. In the older ULS databases, when a license expired etc, it was removed from the listings and you couldn't find it in a search. However, little pieces remained if a connecting station was still there. Such is the case here, with KLN71 existing and KLN72 referred to in it's entry. Even though it is not named, the frequencies to it are listed, along with the Azimuth, in this case 0.6 degrees. Popping the Marianna and the LL "Forrest City" coordinates into your favorite Azimuth/Distance program verifies that azimuth, and that MMPHARJC is indeed KLN72. I've identified and located a number of stations that way.

                            Al Hajny

                            --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "rjfrank1@..." <rjfrank1@...> wrote:

                            > Per the FCC-ULS database, Marianna/KLN71 (AT&T Long Lines) had paths facing Dundee/KLN70 and an "Unnamed Site"/KLN72. Presumably "KLN72" is Memphis Junction (MMPHARJC) based on the various path route maps.

                          • markaudacity
                            Message 13 of 17 , Mar 7, 2016
                              Hi, I know I'm digging up an ancient thread, but I'm working on a project to assemble a complete interactive map of all the Long Lines sites that remain, and you referenced a 1979 map. I've never seen the 1979 map; Can you link me to it, or if it's paper, could I entreat you to make a digital copy and share it with me?

                              Thanks!