Re: Minuteman Air/Ground Radio System

  • Freida & Buzz
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 2, 2013
      What was the function of Minuteman?

      Buzz

    • wftroskey
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 2, 2013
        Thanks for the replies, gentlemen.

        I must admit that before joining this group, even during my time in the AF, I had no more than a "passing curiousity" as to the big picture of military communications. I focused for the most part on the small pieces of the puzzle for which I was responsible by virtue of my duty assignments.

        Joining this group & perusing the wide assortment of information available here has been most enlightening. Even a couple of years ago, if someone had mentioned "Site R", or Mt. Weather, I would not have known what they were referring to.

        I don't mean to sound "gushy", but I appreciate the knowledge that all of you have imparted by way of this group. It is, to say the least, rather humbling at times. Keep it up, though!

        Bill Troskey
        AF Tech Controller, 1978-1982
        Feldberg Autovon TCF
        Offutt DCSC TCF

        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 2, 2013
          Snippet from post # 16909"

          "This interstate VHF mobile radio system provides continuous command
          and control voice
          connectivity between and among key DoD command and control personnel,
          and between DoD
          and other Government agencies personnel. It extends the National
          Military Command and
          Control System from land line switchboards via radio to key Government
          personnel anywhere
          in the Washington Metro area, and ensures continuous connectivity
          while personnel are in
          transit."

          Perhaps someone can provide further details.

          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 3, 2013
            I just discovered a Wheelhouse document that describes the same stations,etc described below; looking back on my posts, I found I had overlooked a key phrase in the "exempt government communications systems": "This interstate VHF mobile radio system"; obviously not the UHF air-ground radio system #1 in the tariff.

            So it seems that "air-ground radio system #1" in the tariff
            is Wheelhouse.

            Now to research Minuteman again, the VHF Land Mobile system.

            This also precludes Lewistown as a Wheelhouse station since it's not listed and the frequencies are different from the ERCO gear there. That may have been an early air-ground associated with JATS and/or a military transport system.

            The new Wheelhouse doc is here as a PDF:

            https://www.fbo.gov/utils/view?id=2f7e4f73af6b46fc21a7f71cf15be545