Re: Goshute NV - Mt Pinos CA Microwave Route

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2013
      More on Ely, snippet from:

      http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a243157.pdf

      "Ely Radar Station

      The Ely Radar Station is in a chain of communication links between Edwards Air
      Force Base (AFB), California and Hill AFB, Utah. Ely Radar Station is the only manned
      link in Nevada. The site is approximately nine miles northwest of Ely atop Kimberly
      Mountain (9,240 feet elevation). It contains 10 acres of land withdrawn by the Air Force.
      Three people operate the station on a weekday basis. The station tracks aircraft and
      missiles via telemetry. It also provides a microwave relay communication link for aircraft
      to Hill AFB, Utah and Edwards AFB, California. The station hosts a data acquisition unit,
      of which telemetry and communications are a part. The telephone company, Federal
      Bureau of Investigation (FBI), and BLM also have equipment on site. There are no
      proposed changes in ownership, mission, boundaries, or use of the Ely Radar Station
      through the year 2000.
      Electricity is provided to the site by local utility lines, and there are four 5 kilowatt
      (KW) diesel generators for backup power. All fuel tanks sit on unbermed concrete pads.
      No signs of leakage or spills are evident. Diesel is only used as a standby during missions.
      Propane is consumed at the rate of 3,000 to 3,500 gallons per year for space heating."

      Note that the FBI & telco had equipment there.

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1, 2013
        More info on the microwave route & photo's of Ely & Beatty stations; and the X-15 project:

        http://www.nasa.gov/pdf/470842main_X_15_Frontier_of_Flight.pdf