Minuteman Air/Ground Radio System

    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 26, 2013
      Snippets from the AT&T tariff for Air/Ground Radio System #1:

      Air/Ground Radio System No. 1 - This service is an air/ground radio system consisting of one control station, three base stations and an inband signaling radio transmitter control arrangement between the ground stations. The control station can operate with a maximum of four voice grade channels to each of six different base stations.

      A. Control Station (furnished at New Market, MD only)

      B. Base Station

      1. 30 Watt UHF air/ground transmitting and receiving unit including
      antenna (furnished only at Smithburg, MD)

      2. 30 Watt UHF air/ground transmitting and receiving unit including
      antenna (furnished only at Washington Zone 19, VA and Haymarket, VA)

      C. Primary Station (furnished only at Washington Zone 8, VA)

      1. In-band signaling radio transmitter control arrangement.

      D. Alternate Station (furnished only at Blue Ridge Summit, PA)

      1. In-band signaling control arrangement

      This system appears to be the "MinuteMan" network mentioned in previous posts.

      The control station is Monrovia, primary station is the Pentagon, alternate station is Site R; base station 1
      was Mt Quirauk(aka site c), base station 2 & 3 were Garden City* and Haymarket.

      *not 100% on this yet;anecdotally confirmed, but zone 19(today) doesnt match(may have been a typo); and another recollection is a CLLI I have'nt nailed down yet: "ARTNVAAP", which may have been a location in the Arlington 2
      building since I recall a locked equipment room there & a "pipe" on the roof.

      Telcordia(which, btw has been sold to Ericsson) lists ARTNVAAP as Washington National Airport, which seems unlikely as other circuits with that CLLI have no connection to the airport.
    • wftroskey
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 1, 2013
        I've only seen Mt. Quirauk/Site C mentioned 1 other time here. Exactly what was/is it's purpose other that Minuteman control station?

        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 1, 2013
          I can't speak on what comms the military had there besides their microwave relay between Site RT? & D(Damascus Md); some VHF/UHF no doubt. My understanding is that AT&T leased space on that gov't tower for Minuteman(probably nominal, like $10/year).

          It was a Minuteman base station, not control, that was Monrovia.

          I'm sure some of our milcom guru's can add more about this site.

          --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "wftroskey" <wftroskey@...> wrote:

          > I've only seen Mt. Quirauk/Site C mentioned 1 other time here. Exactly what was/is it's purpose other that Minuteman control station?
          >

          > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "OZOB99" <ozob99@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Snippets from the AT&T tariff for Air/Ground Radio System #1:
          > >
          > > Air/Ground Radio System No. 1 - This service is an air/ground radio system consisting of one control station, three base stations and an inband signaling radio transmitter control arrangement between the ground stations. The control station can operate with a maximum of four voice grade channels to each of six different base stations.
          > >
          > > A. Control Station (furnished at New Market, MD only)
          > >

          > > B. Base Station
          > >
          > > 1. 30 Watt UHF air/ground transmitting and receiving unit including
          > > antenna (furnished only at Smithburg, MD)
          > >

          > > 2. 30 Watt UHF air/ground transmitting and receiving unit including
          > > antenna (furnished only at Washington Zone 19, VA and Haymarket, VA)
          > >

          > > C. Primary Station (furnished only at Washington Zone 8, VA)
          > >
          > > 1. In-band signaling radio transmitter control arrangement.
          > >

          > > D. Alternate Station (furnished only at Blue Ridge Summit, PA)
          > >
          > > 1. In-band signaling control arrangement
          > >

          > > This system appears to be the "MinuteMan" network mentioned in previous posts.
          > >
          > > The control station is Monrovia, primary station is the Pentagon, alternate station is Site R; base station 1
          > > was Mt Quirauk(aka site c), base station 2 & 3 were Garden City* and Haymarket.
          > >

          > > *not 100% on this yet;anecdotally confirmed, but zone 19(today) doesnt match(may have been a typo); and another recollection is a CLLI I have'nt nailed down yet: "ARTNVAAP", which may have been a location in the Arlington 2
          > > building since I recall a locked equipment room there & a "pipe" on the roof.
          > >
          > > Telcordia(which, btw has been sold to Ericsson) lists ARTNVAAP as Washington National Airport, which seems unlikely as other circuits with that CLLI have no connection to the airport.

        • charlie Fargis
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 1, 2013
            ARTN VA CP is Arlington 2

            Garden City had the repair bench for Eastern Region AG gear.
            We had one from Mt Q, toasted by direct lightning hit.

            Our Minuteman equip was GE as I recall.

            Wasnt AP Fort Meyer where the Chairman of the Joint CHiefs lived?
            as in Army Post?
            To: coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com
            From: ozob99@...
            Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2013 17:47:58 +0000
            Subject: [coldwarcomms] Re: Minuteman Air/Ground Radio System

            I can't speak on what comms the military had there besides their microwave relay between Site RT? & D(Damascus Md); some VHF/UHF no doubt. My understanding is that AT&T leased space on that gov't tower for Minuteman(probably nominal, like $10/year).

            It was a Minuteman base station, not control, that was Monrovia.

            I'm sure some of our milcom guru's can add more about this site.

            --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "wftroskey" <wftroskey@...> wrote:

            > I've only seen Mt. Quirauk/Site C mentioned 1 other time here. Exactly what was/is it's purpose other that Minuteman control station?

            > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "OZOB99" <ozob99@> wrote:

            > > Snippets from the AT&T tariff for Air/Ground Radio System #1:

            > > Air/Ground Radio System No. 1 - This service is an air/ground radio system consisting of one control station, three base stations and an inband signaling radio transmitter control arrangement between the ground stations. The control station can operate with a maximum of four voice grade channels to each of six different base stations.

            > > A. Control Station (furnished at New Market, MD only)

            > > B. Base Station

            > > 1. 30 Watt UHF air/ground transmitting and receiving unit including

            > > antenna (furnished only at Smithburg, MD)

            > > 2. 30 Watt UHF air/ground transmitting and receiving unit including

            > > antenna (furnished only at Washington Zone 19, VA and Haymarket, VA)

            > > C. Primary Station (furnished only at Washington Zone 8, VA)

            > > 1. In-band signaling radio transmitter control arrangement.

            > > D. Alternate Station (furnished only at Blue Ridge Summit, PA)

            > > 1. In-band signaling control arrangement

            > > This system appears to be the "MinuteMan" network mentioned in previous posts.

            > > The control station is Monrovia, primary station is the Pentagon, alternate station is Site R; base station 1

            > > was Mt Quirauk(aka site c), base station 2 & 3 were Garden City* and Haymarket.

            > > *not 100% on this yet;anecdotally confirmed, but zone 19(today) doesnt match(may have been a typo); and another recollection is a CLLI I have'nt nailed down yet: "ARTNVAAP", which may have been a location in the Arlington 2

            > > building since I recall a locked equipment room there & a "pipe" on the roof.

            > > Telcordia(which, btw has been sold to Ericsson) lists ARTNVAAP as Washington National Airport, which seems unlikely as other circuits with that CLLI have no connection to the airport.

          • Blake Bowers
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 1, 2013
              It is the communications annex for Site R.

              _____

              --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com <mailto:coldwarcomms%40yahoogroups.com>
              , "OZOB99" <ozob99@...> wrote:

              > Snippets from the AT&T tariff for Air/Ground Radio System #1:
              >
              > Air/Ground Radio System No. 1 - This service is an air/ground radio system
              consisting of one control station, three base stations and an inband
              signaling radio transmitter control arrangement between the ground stations.
              The control station can operate with a maximum of four voice grade channels
              to each of six different base stations.

              > A. Control Station (furnished at New Market, MD only)
              >

              > B. Base Station
              >
              > 1. 30 Watt UHF air/ground transmitting and receiving unit including
              > antenna (furnished only at Smithburg, MD)
              >

              > 2. 30 Watt UHF air/ground transmitting and receiving unit including
              > antenna (furnished only at Washington Zone 19, VA and Haymarket, VA)
              >

              > C. Primary Station (furnished only at Washington Zone 8, VA)
              >
              > 1. In-band signaling radio transmitter control arrangement.
              >

              > D. Alternate Station (furnished only at Blue Ridge Summit, PA)
              >
              > 1. In-band signaling control arrangement
              >

              > This system appears to be the "MinuteMan" network mentioned in previous
              posts.

              > The control station is Monrovia, primary station is the Pentagon,
              alternate station is Site R; base station 1
              > was Mt Quirauk(aka site c), base station 2 & 3 were Garden City* and
              Haymarket.

              > *not 100% on this yet;anecdotally confirmed, but zone 19(today) doesnt
              match(may have been a typo); and another recollection is a CLLI I have'nt
              nailed down yet: "ARTNVAAP", which may have been a location in the Arlington
              2
              > building since I recall a locked equipment room there & a "pipe" on the
              roof.

              > Telcordia(which, btw has been sold to Ericsson) lists ARTNVAAP as
              Washington National Airport, which seems unlikely as other circuits with
              that CLLI have no connection to the airport.

            • Tim
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 1, 2013
                Site-C has been & is the main land mobile radio & air/ground
                communications outlet & receive site for VHF/UHF &
                above (microwave & SATCOM) RF communications utilized by the
                AJCC/ANMCC/NMCC-Site R,
                other than the AT&T& MW facility atop Site-R & the the HF antennas near
                the Site-RT
                facility.

                It's a pretty soft site, so let's hope there's lots of fiber these
                days running directly to/from
                Site-R & other communications nodes.

                On 7/1/2013 11:47 AM, OZOB99 wrote:

                > I can't speak on what comms the military had there besides their
                > microwave relay between Site RT? & D(Damascus Md); some VHF/UHF no
                > doubt. My understanding is that AT&T leased space on that gov't tower
                > for Minuteman(probably nominal, like $10/year).
                >
                > It was a Minuteman base station, not control, that was Monrovia.
                >
                > I'm sure some of our milcom guru's can add more about this site.
                >
                > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com
                > <mailto:coldwarcomms%40yahoogroups.com>, "wftroskey" <wftroskey@...>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > I've only seen Mt. Quirauk/Site C mentioned 1 other time here.
                > Exactly what was/is it's purpose other that Minuteman control station?

              • Freida & Buzz
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 2, 2013
                  What was the function of Minuteman?

                  Buzz

                • wftroskey
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 2, 2013
                    Thanks for the replies, gentlemen.

                    I must admit that before joining this group, even during my time in the AF, I had no more than a "passing curiousity" as to the big picture of military communications. I focused for the most part on the small pieces of the puzzle for which I was responsible by virtue of my duty assignments.

                    Joining this group & perusing the wide assortment of information available here has been most enlightening. Even a couple of years ago, if someone had mentioned "Site R", or Mt. Weather, I would not have known what they were referring to.

                    I don't mean to sound "gushy", but I appreciate the knowledge that all of you have imparted by way of this group. It is, to say the least, rather humbling at times. Keep it up, though!

                    Bill Troskey
                    AF Tech Controller, 1978-1982
                    Feldberg Autovon TCF
                    Offutt DCSC TCF

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 2, 2013
                      Snippet from post # 16909"

                      "This interstate VHF mobile radio system provides continuous command
                      and control voice
                      connectivity between and among key DoD command and control personnel,
                      and between DoD
                      and other Government agencies personnel. It extends the National
                      Military Command and
                      Control System from land line switchboards via radio to key Government
                      personnel anywhere
                      in the Washington Metro area, and ensures continuous connectivity
                      while personnel are in
                      transit."

                      Perhaps someone can provide further details.

                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 3, 2013
                        I just discovered a Wheelhouse document that describes the same stations,etc described below; looking back on my posts, I found I had overlooked a key phrase in the "exempt government communications systems": "This interstate VHF mobile radio system"; obviously not the UHF air-ground radio system #1 in the tariff.

                        So it seems that "air-ground radio system #1" in the tariff
                        is Wheelhouse.

                        Now to research Minuteman again, the VHF Land Mobile system.

                        This also precludes Lewistown as a Wheelhouse station since it's not listed and the frequencies are different from the ERCO gear there. That may have been an early air-ground associated with JATS and/or a military transport system.

                        The new Wheelhouse doc is here as a PDF:

                        https://www.fbo.gov/utils/view?id=2f7e4f73af6b46fc21a7f71cf15be545