Re: [coldwarcomms] GEPs

  • Fred
    Message 1 of 37 , Jun 24, 2013
      On 6/23/2013 8:51 PM, Tim wrote:

      > On 6/23/2013 10:24 AM, buchcty wrote:
      > > In 1974 there was no GEP at Hillsboro, MO.
      > >
      > > The Coverall GEPs (the more correct name for the Looking Glass
      > > network)were at Lyons, NE, Plano, IL, Fairview, KS, and Lamar, CO. The
      > > eastern GEP was moved to Hillsboro in 1978.
      > >
      > > AF1 almost never used a Coverall GEP on its own. There were
      > > configurations for the Looking Glass to replace some circuits with
      > > Combat Ciders and would pass them air-to-air to AF1. The LG would
      > > track AF1 as far as possible and provide circuits almost to Arizona.
      > >
      > > Stoney
      > > LG flyer 70-87
      >
      > Per a Johnson through Reagan administration Presidential Pilot's
      > Office airborne communications systems operator, there were occasions
      > where Looking Glass or one one of the other PACCS planes would be tasked
      > to leave their normal orbit to
      > provide MUX support to AF1. Unfortunately, I never asked what the
      > process was for AF1 to get SAC to do it. SAC & the PACCS program
      > couldn't have been happy with that (even though it was done to support the
      > National Command Authority) as they'd then have to reconfigure numerous
      > orbits to keep their organic UHF links. I recollect being told one
      > type of occasion where it'd be done is when the presidential aircraft
      > was descending or on the ground somewhere
      > out of GEP coverage & needed to keep the MUX circuits running due to
      > priority traffic.
      >
      > Can anyone else verify the Hillsboro GEP info? I could swear some
      > old, declassified SAC Command Center films from the 1960s which showed
      > the Emergency Actions Console had Hillsboro listed next to the rotary
      > dialup for
      > contacting LG via the Cover All GEP sites.
      >
      > The presidential airborne radio ops/communications systems operators
      > did utilize a map of the USA which had the circles drawn showing the
      > basic radius of each GEP site assuming a flight level of around
      > 35,000'. I have one from
      > I believe the Carter era, and another from the Reagan era, and both do
      > depict GEP radii for what would be Hillsboro, Lamar, Fairview & Lyons
      > GEPs. These maps also depict one much larger radius to represent the
      > normal orbiting
      > area of Looking Glass.
      >
      > Tim

      Hillsboro, Missouri original was equipped with a trailer owned by the
      Government. Had two racks of Collins aircraft type T/R, one KW, 400 KH
      AC with 16? KH VF circuits that were bridged to the backbone circuit.
      The standard operating procedure was of the ground station operator
      (ATT-LL) to monitor the received signal AGC level and advise the
      aircraft that the ground station can provide service any time all the
      circuits were idle. The aircraft would give a count 1-2-3 on the count
      of 2 the new receiving ground station would operate the switches to
      connect the back bone circuits to the aircraft and on the count of 3 the
      other ground station would disconnect the back bone circuit from his T/R
      radio equipment. if every thing worked, the "hand off" GEP would monitor
      his receiver AGC until it was below the usable level. The ground
      operator would the request the aircraft operator to secure his station.
      At one time this trailer was moved to Germany for several months Three
      ATT-LL techs and one supervisor were deployed with the move. Lot of
      overtime for those four people. The trailer also had a 60 foot guyed
      antenna tower that we trained on deploying every 6 months and worked a
      training aircraft that would circle the GEP making bigger circles until
      the signals were unusable. AF tail number 2600 was used for this training.

      Several years later the trailer was replaced with four racks of updated
      Collins Aircraft type T/R equipment inside the Hillsboro, Mo main
      station also KY3 modems were installed. The new arrangement was able to
      support both AF1 and SAC, at the same time, but only one KY3 circuit.
      SAC had a PBX arrangement where the aircraft would draw dial tone from
      the ground staion PBX and dial any FTS, AUTOVON or PSN number they
      needed to communicate with.

      Ten years ago the T/R were remote controled from Scott AFB in Illinois.

      Fred Wall
      Tired and Retired (Hillsboro, MO,)

      Message 37 of 37 , Jun 30, 2013
        On 6/28/13 7:24 AM, Abe G wrote:

        Aside:

        > The system design document for these services is proprietary, and is
        > owned and maintained by AT&T. The only contractors with access rights to
        > perform maintenance and upgrades to the GEP equipment are AT&T
        > personnel.......

        A classic example of how we have $600 hammers & other sweetheart deals. Per
        a friend who negotiated and oversaw many similar USG contracts: if
        well-written, the contract would have specified that all the intellectual
        property developed/paid for by USG would end up USG property.

        He talked about having such language in there, the revision he'd get back
        would strike it out, he'd put it back in, etc....