Re: COLD WAR DEFENSIVE SITES EMR COMMS >>

  • Boardwalk One
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 23, 2013
      Gentlemen,

      Greatly appreciate these updates. Thank you...

      I find it intriguing to research and understand the threats to the US during the Cold War and the national response, and compare these to the threats we have today and attempt to understand what is being done or not being done.

      What seems to be a shift is during the 60's, 70's, and 80's the government had a very direct, hands-on approach: Fall out shelters, Civil Defence, hardened underground facilities. The cold war basically ended and this can got kicked down the road to be handled indevidually by the state's new OEM. Gone were the days of missles drills.

      Now the can has been kicked all the way down to you, your family and your community. Nows it is shelter in place, bug out, prepping, Guns and ammo, emergencu communications, amature radio. Even as I sign up for the township RACES station, County CERT , ARES and OEM support. It does not seem there is much enthusiasm for any of this here. The HAMS at the RACES station now are down to covering walk a thons and parades. They have only been called out once since they started the RACES. RACES is madatory for each township. Participation in CERT at the county level is everything from full county trainging all the way down to having the CERT in some counties being moved down to the local level who don't have the resources or will to impement it at all.

      We have seem the government responce to disasters like Katrina and Sandy. Not as great as one would expect.

      So I ask, "What will actually happen during a wide spread emergency / disaster long duration event? Who will actually be handling the EMERGENCY COMMUNICATIONS? Doesn't need to be an EMP to get things out of control in a hurry. Yes we have come a long way since September 11. So I wonder how many on my fellow citizens truly belive the local PD-FD and ResQ will repond when and if they call them, that the National Guard will protect the community......

      So I ask: When was the last time your RACES station sent a RadioGram during an decared emergency?

      http://www.nps.gov/nhl/themes/ColdWar.pdf

      http://www.denix.osd.mil/cr/upload/95-10092-FORGING_THE_SWORD_0.PDF

      This group is one of the very best resources on the web. Outstanding job one and all !!

      ROGER~

      --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, james kester <radioconstco@...> wrote:

      > Thank you, I can find out what I was doing for 29 years!!!!!

    • Marc's Yahoo Account (original)
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 23, 2013
        You really don't want to know the answer to that question. Partisan politics is killing this country. We don't need to worry about the enemy beyond, the enemy is in our midst. I've worked through many administrations and there is good and bad to both. Tired of hearing the one sided dialog on both sides. Don't even get me started on the political appointee process: a real disservice to our country. And it's not even about the almighty dollar. It's about EGO and self-centered ness. Sorry about the tirade.

        Sent from my iPad
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 23, 2013
          > You really don't want to know the answer to that question. Partisan politics is killing this country.

          "We have met the enemy, and he is us...."

          Walt Kelly via Pogo