Re: House acts to prevent blackouts

  • unrecognizedresponse
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 21, 2013
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_storm_of_1859

      While EMP isn't inevitable, some scientists seem to think a CME or similar repeat of 1859 is perhaps even likely. Funny that Congress wanted to cut funding for NOAA space weather. Studies on their site have suggested mass blackouts of weeks or months are possible. I think that's why they've kept EMP protection for EAS (but no new funding for fallout protection). UK and Canada, to my knowledge, no longer have a survivable public broadcasting infrastructure for an EMP or flare event. I could conceive that Primary Entry Point stations and SHARES NCS HF might be all that makes it, and then only EOC's with protection. How many Harris digital broadcast transmitters are out there, most with no Faraday cage? How many really have 90 days of stored generator fuel for the studios and transmitter. How many state/county EOC's have this? To say nothing of the private sector. Not quite the nuclear megadeath, but an economic nightmare. Severe recession, no doubt. Surprising Hollywood never dramatized it.

      --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Radioman390@... wrote:

      > http://washingtonexaminer.com/article/2532038

    • Tom
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 21, 2013
        It was well dramatized in an excellent book on the subject. "One Second After" deals not so much with the event itself (in this case, several atmospheric nuclear EMP events, terrorists), but more with the aftereffects. Fascinating and depressing story. Of course, this might be old news to a group such as this :-)

        I highly recommend it to anyone with an interest in the field.
        "One Second After" William Forstchen.
        http://www.amazon.com/dp/0765356864

        --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "unrecognizedresponse" <mtcatoctin@...> wrote:

        > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_storm_of_1859
        >
        > While EMP isn't inevitable, some scientists seem to think a CME or similar repeat of 1859 is perhaps even likely. Funny that Congress wanted to cut funding for NOAA space weather. Studies on their site have suggested mass blackouts of weeks or months are possible. I think that's why they've kept EMP protection for EAS (but no new funding for fallout protection). UK and Canada, to my knowledge, no longer have a survivable public broadcasting infrastructure for an EMP or flare event. I could conceive that Primary Entry Point stations and SHARES NCS HF might be all that makes it, and then only EOC's with protection. How many Harris digital broadcast transmitters are out there, most with no Faraday cage? How many really have 90 days of stored generator fuel for the studios and transmitter. How many state/county EOC's have this? To say nothing of the private sector. Not quite the nuclear megadeath, but an economic nightmare. Severe recession, no doubt. Surprising Hollywood never dramatized it.
        >
        > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Radioman390@ wrote:
        > >
        > > http://washingtonexaminer.com/article/2532038

      • opscom911
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 25, 2013
          One Second After:
          I recommend getting the CD's from you local library, and there are a few internet audio down load as well. There has been some plan for a follow up movie. Check this out;
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Second_After

          Also Amazon Kindle:
          77 Days in September
          Lights Out