Cable Vault Interior

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 18, 2013
      I don't think this has been posted before; a typical cable vault at Arlington 1 Va, larger offices would have been longer:

      http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/I?horyd:7:./temp/~ammem_MVZo::displayType=1:m856sd=thc:m856sf=5a41635:@@@

      Bell Co's & LL maintained their respective cables in these dank tunnels,smelly & sometimes rat infested, and potentially dangerous from
      methane & other gases.Strict controls were in place to insure safety; mandatory gas testing, with logs of who, & times entered & exited.

      Near the vault were nitrogen tanks,dehydrator compressors,cathodic protection rectifiers.

      Some of the old lead cable splice sleeves from the 1930's-50's were almost works of art in their finish & symmetry.
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 19, 2013
        More cable vaults & other CO stuff:

        http://davewhitmore.net/images/central_office.htm