Re: Video Tour of Stanfield L4

  • widebandit
    Message 1 of 37 , Jun 17, 2013
      Most likely to interface the 46'-3" back-to-back leg spacing of a 225'-0" Type L-Tapered tower to the 37'-0" foundation pier spacing that was in-turn established by the underground structure column-to-column spacing of 18'-6"...

      Original plan may have been to build a 'hardened' Type-J non-tapered tower when needed as was done at Cedarbrook, Finksburg, Cheshire, Lyons, and elsewhere, but a decision was apparently made to substitute a less robust (cheaper) tower - hence the custom base...

      Stanfield North Carolina and Ellisville Florida towers are virtual twins - both are 225'-0" Type-L placed on identical 25'-0" tall reverse-taper (undercut) interface bases; RC&R - AT&T's structural engineering firm - was more than able to engineer'em however Long-Lines wanted'em...

      Some very good photography of Stanfield may be found here:

      <http://w4dex.com/gallery/ATT_L4_Main_Stanfield_NC>

      Thanks Dex...

      See also post #21174 etseq...

      - wa -

      Message 37 of 37 , Jun 30, 2013
        On 6/28/13 7:24 AM, Abe G wrote:

        Aside:

        > The system design document for these services is proprietary, and is
        > owned and maintained by AT&T. The only contractors with access rights to
        > perform maintenance and upgrades to the GEP equipment are AT&T
        > personnel.......

        A classic example of how we have $600 hammers & other sweetheart deals. Per
        a friend who negotiated and oversaw many similar USG contracts: if
        well-written, the contract would have specified that all the intellectual
        property developed/paid for by USG would end up USG property.

        He talked about having such language in there, the revision he'd get back
        would strike it out, he'd put it back in, etc....