sf6 (was:Re: [coldwarcomms] Digest Number 4505

  • widebandit
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 15, 2013
      Swerving a tad off topic:

      Whereas atmospheric CO2 is measured in parts per million - currently just shy of 400-ppm or 0.04%, atmospheric SF6 is measured in parts per trillion - currently about 7.5-ppt or 0.000 000 000 75%.

      If one subscribes to the notion that SF6 is 24,000 times more potent a greenhouse gas than CO2, atmospheric SF6 is equivalent to an additional 0.18 ppm CO2 or 0.000 018%.

      If everyone in the US were to dress in proportion to atmospheric gas -blue for oxygen, green for nitrogen, red for CO2, yellow for SF6;
      75.42 million would be wearing blue, 281.12 million would be wearing green, 144,000 (the city of Syracuse NY) would be wearing red, but no one would be wearing yellow because SF6 would be equivalent to only 0.0027 of a person. Amazingly, 3.3 million people (85% of Los Angeles) would be wearing purple for Argon, and about 12,000 or so would have to go naked because they represent trace gases not counted in this mental exercise - not a pretty sight.

      Please bear in mind that this (and almost every other) discussion of greenhouse gas does not account for the most prevalent, influential and potent greenhouse gas of them all, capable of trapping and transferring tremendous amounts of heat over short periods of time - the greenhouse gas that was most recently directly responsible for the Moore and El Reno Oklahoma tornadoes:

      <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4EhfkcH5t0>

      Water vapor which, in the troposphere, may exceed 50,000 ppmv in a given location. But even in dry Las Vegas - currently 101-F and 2%-RH(!), water vapor is more than 1,300 ppmv - 3x CO2 (at 89-F and 53%-RH, San Antonio is currently experiencing 25,000 ppmv water vapor).

      I am not losing sleep over atmospheric SF6 - wa -