Re: Pentagon Microwave Links

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 15, 2013
      Looking further I discovered another Pentagon microwave route to Ft Monroe posted 10 years ago.

      snippet from post #5091:

      "RCA equipment was similar to the first military (Army Signal Corps)
      microwave system developed during or just after WW-II. It was designated something like AN/TRC-6. This system was used for a link between the Pentagon and Fort Monroe, VA, which was placed in service on an experimental basis around 1946-47, and continued in operation for years. In its early days, at least, the repeater stations were manned."

      Albert is quoted on this website posting:

      http://www.siliconinvestor.com/readmsg.aspx?msgid=8313926

      I am familiar with the Amburg(repeater) area & I asked an old timer from there, here is the reply:

      "It was there during the war with 2 soldiers stationed there doing whatever they do. It was on North End Road on Tom Crittenden's property about a mile from us as the crow flies. The remains of the building are still in the field but the tower is gone."

      Amburg in that day was very rural & isolated;I'm sure the farmers & watermen were quite surprised & confused about this installation.

      More on the AN/TCR-6:
      http://cecomhistorian.armylive.dodlive.mil/search/an%2Ftrc-6

      http://louise.hallikainen.org/BH/uploads/RadioRelay.pdf p7-8

      http://contentdm.lib.byu.edu/cdm/ref/collection/JMHes/id/2356

      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 18
        >"RCA equipment was similar to the first military (Army Signal Corps)
        >microwave system developed during or just after WW-II. It was designated something like AN/TRC-6. >This system was used for a link between the Pentagon and Fort Monroe, VA, which was placed in >service on an experimental basis around 1946-47, and continued in operation for years. In its early >days, at least, the repeater stations were manned."

        FWIW , per a couple of Army organization orders, this route was made a part of ACACA(Army Command and Administrative Communications Agency) in March 1955, and discontinued in June 1958.

        "PENTAGON-FORT MONROE RADIO RELAY SYSTEM. effective 1
        June 1958, the Pentagon-Fort Monroe Radio Relay System, an activity of the
        U S Army Command and administrative System Is discontinued."

        There is a dearth of information on ACACA online; this pub:

        "ACACA History: A History of the Army Command and Administrative Communications Agency from 1899 to 1956

        Karl Karew
        1956 - 112 pages"

        It would probably connect a lot of dots,but only mentioned online, no excerpts or download available; anyone ever see a copy?; probably in a few military and/or libraries.