Ennis, Texas former TD/Autovon/Cable site

  • frnortner
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 12, 2013
      I haven't driven by Ennis in months, so what a surprise to see the tower is gone. There's quite a lot of digging and earth work at the tower site, looks like the foundations are gone, none of the steel is evident.
      Anyone know what is going on with that site?
      I remember years ago when the parking lot would be pretty full day and night. and people would get quite huffy if you stopped anywhere around the perimeter.
      -- Doc
      www.dumont.tv
    • wed76
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 18, 2013
        Ennis is now used and managed by AT&T Network Operations. Most of the Texas Echo-Fox/Autovon sites have been converted for their use well.

        It appears that you and Google's plane were there at about the same time... Search 32.310744, -96.594112. The site has been expanded quite a bit as of late. Street View still has the tower visible though.

        I don't know why the tower was removed, but at other AT&T NO locations they have been scrapped because of:

        1) maintenance expense
        2) danger of collapse
        3) in order lower the public profile of the building
        4) to prevent scrappers from trespassing.

        My recollection is similar: they used to be huffy, then they stopped caring when the facility was little used (see Brad's photos at http://long-lines.net/places-routes/EnnisTX/index.html). However, they probably don't lightly suffer looky-loos at the moment.

        Inside photos circa 2006 at http://www.flickr.com/photos/ashleyandcompany/sets/72157619693850117/