Sykeston & Blytheville "L" Main Stations

    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 11, 2013
    • Ken Bowles
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 11, 2013
        Thanks for finding that. Been outside the out-of-service portion of
        the Sikeston location a number of times and have wondered what it would
        look like inside before it became the headquarters for a roofing company,
        ha.

        Ken

        On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 3:17 PM, OZOB99 <ozob99@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > http://thechurchofgroove.com/viewtopic.php?t=38317

      • Blake Bowers
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 11, 2013
          At Sikeston?

          All of Sikeston is still AT&T owned - at the cable site.

          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 11, 2013
            The fiber portion is owned by AT&T but the last time I was down there a
            roofing company was in the old cable building. It was recently (last couple
            of years) given a red roof.

            Ken

            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 11, 2013
              My error, I was in another state....

              Yes, the old site is owned by a private individual, not used for the roofing
              company any more though.

              The fiber portion is owned by AT&T but the last time I was down there a
              roofing company was in the old cable building. It was recently (last couple
              of years) given a red roof.

              Ken

              On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 4:37 PM, Blake Bowers <bbowerslists@...>wrote:

              > **
              >

              > At Sikeston?
              >
              > All of Sikeston is still AT&T owned - at the cable site.

            • cpe122
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 25, 2013
                Location/address of Blytheville? Other stations on this route (I have Sikeston)?

                /cpe

                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 25, 2013
                  Interesting you brought up Blytheville during discussions on GEP's & Hillsboro since I am about to post a few comments on both.

                  In my past I recall some two point "GR" circuits just between Blytheville and Hillsboro, presumably for Eakins AFB CP connectivity with the GEP at Hillsboro; also a "GQ" circuit between Waldorf & Blytheville, IIRC a GQ circuit was either a wideband secure voice for air-ground or a data circuit for remote control of GEP's?...anyone?

                  I don't believe the Blytheville L main was involved on these circuits, at least on a VF level.

                  --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "cpe122" <cpe122@...> wrote:

                  > Location/address of Blytheville? Other stations on this route (I have Sikeston)?
                  >
                  > /cpe
                  >

                  > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "OZOB99" <ozob99@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > http://thechurchofgroove.com/viewtopic.php?t=38317

                • rj_frank1
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 12, 2014
                    I have been researching the L1 Coaxial route segments between Hillsboro, MO and Blytheville, AR by referencing the Missouri "L" station database found on Blake Bower's Flickr website.  Of the twenty-four L1 huts located between Hillsboro, Cape Girardeau Jct, Sikeston, and Blytheville, there are six huts still standing along the former ROW as detailed below.  The remaining huts have been demolished, though I have not been able to conclusively identify where three of these huts (Cape Girardeau Jct L2N, L3N, and L7N) were actually located, just an estimated location per the descriptions found on the station database.

                    Hillsboro L2S: 38.161933, -90.381161
                    Hillsboro L4S: 38.004142, -90.211275
                    Cape Girardeau Jct L1N: 37.489339, -89.654678
                    Cape Girardeau Jct L6N: 37.874178, -90.034575
                    Cape Girardeau Jct L2S: 37.184317, -89.670775
                    Blytheville L8N: 36.672767, -89.555536

                    Blytheville (L1 Main Station): 116 W. Moultrie Street (35.936725, -89.903578)

                    Blytheville appears to have the same construction design as Cape Girardeau Junction (37.387822, -89.643733). The building is currently owned by Williams Moving Company dba Blytheville Transfer & Storage Company. Refer to the company website (http://www.williamsmovingco.com/blytheville_6.html).  The Blytheville Transfer & Storage Company signage on the building is visible utilizing GE Street View.

                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 12, 2014
                      Blytheville Courier News articles on the installation of Bytheville AR L-1 Main.

                      See "Television cable to be laid here"

                      Snippet from:

                      "Council Approves AT&T Proposal Right-of-Way Granted For Co-axial Cable Through the City. Councilman meeting in sp- session in City Hall last night passed an ordinance authorizing American Telephone and Telegraph Co of Arkansas to lay part ot a St louis-to-Memphis co-axial cable through Blytheville. The cable is being laid by AT and T to improve long distance telephone service in Eastern Arkansa by replacing existing lines for through service" in many instance, and thus permitting use of the present lines for "short haul" service. Although the cable will be used for transmission of telephone messages, it could be used in the fu ture for television network transmission. It also can be used fo telephoto transmission."

                      Cable to be laid through Blytheville by AT and T will begin at the proposed repeater station under construction at the North end of Second Street and run South to the alley between Main and Walnut Streets. It was then run west to Sixth Street. South from Sixth to Ash. West on Ash to Elm, and then South on Elm out, of the city. Work To Start Soon More than one-third of the new cable will run through existing conduit laid by the Southwestern Bell Telephone Co., an AT & T subsidiary. The existing conduit runs from behind the telephone offices here at Second and Ash to Sixth and Ash. "

                    • cpe122
                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 13, 2014
                        http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/display/20140313183301-28216-map.html

                        I'd be interested in any confirmed demolished sites too.

                        /cpe