Report: Baud-Synchronous Radio - Teletypewriter Terminal Equipment

  • Michael Ravnitzky
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 10, 2013
      The following report was just released in its entirety officially by the
      U.S. Army:

      Baud-Synchronous Radio ­ Teletypewriter Terminal Equipment, by C.G. Hewitt
      Final Report on contract DA 36-039-SC-72347
      261 pages ­ 2 sided copies, about half of which is schematics
      November 9, 2059
      General Dynamics Corporation ­ Stromberg- Carlson Division
      Research and Advanced Development Division
      Rochester, NY

      I will mail it out to someone who can use it and preferably someone who will
      post a pdf copy online for public use.

      PS: I miss hearing the sound of the radio teletype.

      Michael Ravnitzky
      mikerav@...
    • jhaynesatalumni
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 10, 2013
        --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Michael Ravnitzky <mikerav@...> wrote:

        > The following report was just released in its entirety officially by the
        > U.S. Army:
        >
        > Baud-Synchronous Radio ­ Teletypewriter Terminal Equipment, by C.G. Hewitt
        > Final Report on contract DA 36-039-SC-72347
        > 261 pages ­ 2 sided copies, about half of which is schematics
        > November 9, 2059
        > General Dynamics Corporation ­ Stromberg- Carlson Division
        > Research and Advanced Development Division
        > Rochester, NY
        >
        > I will mail it out to someone who can use it and preferably someone who will
        > post a pdf copy online for public use.

        I've just scanned it. It's 24 megabytes. Much of it is
        schematics, bedsheet-size schematics scanned into letter-sized
        tiles. That part is fairly useless except to clarify some things
        that are otherwise not clear from the logic block diagrams.

        Is this something you requested? Interesting that both of us seem
        to have requested it at the same time. I've known about it for a
        few years but only recently learned how to do a FOIA request to
        get a copy of it.
      • John K Scoggin, Jr
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 10, 2013
          I understand that the Navy has just decreed the end of ALL CAPS messaging.
          The end is nigh!

          No word on when the Chief's will be cut over though. <gr>

          john

          > The following report was just released in its entirety officially by the
          > U.S. Army:
          >
          > Baud-Synchronous Radio - Teletypewriter Terminal Equipment, by C.G. Hewitt
          > Final Report on contract DA 36-039-SC-72347
          > 261 pages - 2 sided copies, about half of which is schematics
          > November 9, 2059
          > General Dynamics Corporation - Stromberg- Carlson Division
          > Research and Advanced Development Division
          > Rochester, NY
          >
          > I will mail it out to someone who can use it and preferably someone who
          will
          > post a pdf copy online for public use.

          I've just scanned it. It's 24 megabytes. Much of it is
          schematics, bedsheet-size schematics scanned into letter-sized
          tiles. That part is fairly useless except to clarify some things
          that are otherwise not clear from the logic block diagrams.

          Is this something you requested? Interesting that both of us seem
          to have requested it at the same time. I've known about it for a
          few years but only recently learned how to do a FOIA request to
          get a copy of it.

        • Sam Etler
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 10, 2013
            On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 8:33 AM, <jhhaynes@...> wrote:

            > I've just scanned it. It's 24 megabytes. Much of it is
            > schematics, bedsheet-size schematics scanned into letter-sized
            > tiles. That part is fairly useless except to clarify some things
            > that are otherwise not clear from the logic block diagrams.
            >
            > Is this something you requested? Interesting that both of us seem
            > to have requested it at the same time. I've known about it for a
            > few years but only recently learned how to do a FOIA request to
            > get a copy of it.

            Can you post a link to the scan? Thanks

            sam

          • jhaynesatalumni
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 10, 2013
              --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Sam Etler <etler@...> wrote:

              > Can you post a link to the scan? Thanks

              I don't have a place to put it that you can link to. I can send you
              a CD ROM if you'll tell me where to send it.
            • Walter Lipman
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 10, 2013
                Google Drive will allow you to put a large file on a server, and share it
                out to others with a gmail account. Just a thought versus cds...

                On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 3:06 PM, <jhhaynes@...> wrote:

                > **
                >

                > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Sam Etler <etler@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Can you post a link to the scan? Thanks
                > >
                > I don't have a place to put it that you can link to. I can send you
                > a CD ROM if you'll tell me where to send it.

              • Mike Cowen
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 10, 2013
                  Here's a link to Dropbox. It's a free cloud
                  sharing service. You can transfer large files
                  easily between friends, or access backups from any web-enabled computer.

                  http://db.tt/YvUtPBxh

                  Full disclosure: If you use the link above,
                  (which I would appreciate!) I will earn more
                  storage space in my account. No money involved.

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 10, 2013
                    I installed dropbox, but it appears to do a lot of things I don't
                    want done, so I removed it.

                    --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Mike Cowen <weldedrail@...> wrote:

                    > Here's a link to Dropbox. It's a free cloud
                    > sharing service. You can transfer large files
                    > easily between friends, or access backups from any web-enabled computer.
                    >
                    > http://db.tt/YvUtPBxh
                  • jhaynesatalumni
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 10, 2013
                      --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Walter Lipman <wlipman@...> wrote:

                      > Google Drive will allow you to put a large file on a server, and share it
                      > out to others with a gmail account. Just a thought versus cds...

                      OK, I uploaded it to Google Drive and made it public on the web.
                      If you can find it, you've got it.

                      Jim
                    • Sam Etler
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 10, 2013
                        On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 8:18 PM, <jhhaynes@...> wrote:

                        > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Walter Lipman <wlipman@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Google Drive will allow you to put a large file on a server, and share it
                        > > out to others with a gmail account. Just a thought versus cds...
                        > >

                        > OK, I uploaded it to Google Drive and made it public on the web.
                        > If you can find it, you've got it.

                        Google also provides a static URL for each file that you can post to the
                        list if you want to make it a bit easier for people.

                        sam

                      • james kester
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 11, 2013
                          San Disk