Still looking for Allentown #2 ...

  • cpe122
    Message 1 of 5 , May 31, 2013
      I'm a little stumped; I'm guessing it may have been a Long Lines only office(?).

      According to LL map no.6 (insets), it had microwave shots to Lynnport and Lenark, and four cables. The 2338 S Law St office is too new to be either #1 or #2 although it is very close to the Reading cable (on 4th St).

      I think Allentown #1 is here: 40.60335,-75.47303.

      /cpe
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1, 2013
        --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "cpe122" <cpe122@...> wrote:

        > I'm a little stumped; I'm guessing it may have been a Long Lines only office(?).

        I agree, Allentown was a LL work location but #1 & #2 were not specified separately in the union contract. I don't have direct knowledge of that area, but facilty junctions outside of downtown are usually LL only locations, either as a #2 or a place name; I'd also guess that the #1 office had a LL work group up until the early 1970's since it was on a major K route.
      • Mike Jacobs
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 2, 2013
          The microwave shots out of Allentown were from the roof of the Allentown
          main CO in the 700 block of Linden St (horns removed in the 1990's). There
          was a room on the top floor that had a Long Lines sign on the door. The old
          (pre-1950 old!) Allentown 2 Toll Office was on S. Albert St. at the
          intersection with E. Martin St. The main cable route (in underground duct
          bank) from NYC via Easton and Bethlehem followed Emmaus Ave and went
          into this building. It was retired from Long Lines sometime after Lanark was
          built and a new duct bank run up the side of South Mountain from Emmaus
          Ave along S. Filbert St. The route that the duct bank takes through the
          woods up the side of the mountain is clearly visbile in Bing birdseye
          imagery.

          The S. Law St. facility is the Mountainville CO.

          I was in the old Allentown #2 office sometime in the 1990's when I worked
          as a tech for Bell Atlantic and recognized it as a former telephone company
          CO-type structure because it had a tiled cable vault around the periphery of
          the basement. I have also been in Lanark in that same time period and
          there was a large amount of AT&T fiber terminal equipment in there.

          I suspect some of the confusion comes from trying to shoehorn all these
          locations onto small maps so the locations get mixed up when they are
          close together.
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 3, 2013
            On 6/2/13 12:10 PM, Mike Jacobs wrote:

            > I was in the old Allentown #2 office sometime in the 1990's when I worked
            > as a tech for Bell Atlantic and recognized it as a former telephone company
            > CO-type structure because it had a tiled cable vault around the periphery of
            > the basement.

            Welcome back, Mike.
          • cpe122
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 3, 2013
              --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Jacobs" wrote:

              Awesome; this is very helpful (though some confusion remains).

              [reply based on map 6 Insets]

              > The microwave shots out of Allentown were from the roof of the
              > Allentown main CO in the 700 block of Linden St (horns removed
              > in the 1990's).

              Tower too by the looks...

              > There was a room on the top floor that had a Long Lines sign
              > on the door.

              The map inset shows Microwave out of Allentown #2 to Lynnport & Lenark. Assuming the maps are right it looks like W Linden Street is Allentown #2?

              > The old (pre-1950 old!) Allentown 2 Toll Office was on
              > S. Albert St. at the intersection with E. Martin St.
              > The main cable route (in underground duct bank) from NYC
              > via Easton and Bethlehem followed Emmaus Ave and went
              > into this building.
              > It was retired from Long Lines sometime after Lanark was
              > built and a new duct bank run up the side of South Mountain
              > from Emmaus Ave along S. Filbert St.

              Based on you description, I found the building easily at 2002 S. Albert St. The coax out of Lenark looks like it was built as a WLEL of sorts; I wonder if the building addition at S. Albert was added to accommodate additional equipment for this.

              Looking at the inset again it looks the coax to Lenark was out of Allentown #1. Do you think it's possible that the #1 & #2 monikers are reversed in this case?

              > The route that the duct bank takes through the
              > woods up the side of the mountain is clearly visbile in Bing birdseye
              > imagery.

              I never really looked that hard; now that you mention it I do see it.

              > The S. Law St. facility is the Mountainville CO.

              I wonder how close it's construction date was to S Albert Street's retirement...

              > I was in the old Allentown #2 office sometime in the 1990's when I worked
              > as a tech for Bell Atlantic and recognized it as a former telephone company
              > CO-type structure because it had a tiled cable vault around the periphery of
              > the basement. I have also been in Lanark in that same time period and
              > there was a large amount of AT&T fiber terminal equipment in there.
              >
              > I suspect some of the confusion comes from trying to shoehorn all these
              > locations onto small maps so the locations get mixed up when they are
              > close together.

              Yes, the maps aren't perfect. Sadly I have found discrepencies between Map 6 and the Map 6 Inset for the same year. Be that as it may, I find the peculiar "triangle" between Allentown #1, #2 and Lenark very interesting; it seems overly redundant. With all of the offices Allentown #1 touched having good connectivity with Lenark (Allentown #2 and Reading both appear to have had microwave connectivity to Lenark; Bethlehem could get to Lenark over cable via Allentown #2), the need for the coax between #1 and Lenark is not obvious.

              The $64,000 question now is, do you have any idea where Allentown KE would be/have been?

              /cpe