Re: [coldwarcomms] Digest Number 4489

  • doug humphrey
    Message 1 of 4 , May 27, 2013
      On May 27, 2013, at 5:41 AM, coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      > 1c. Re: Mallard Communications Project
      > Posted by: "John K Scoggin, Jr" aat3bf@... jks19714
      > Date: Sun May 26, 2013 3:03 pm ((PDT))
      >
      > I recall the "big upgrade" on the NSFnet from 56kbps trunks to T-1. My
      > employer had a Telebit dialup link via UUnet (formerly used for UUCP
      > networking) which was active on-demand (which rapidly turned into a 7x24
      > dial connection from Delaware to Arlington VA). It wasn't long before we
      > moved to a 56Kbps DDS link.

      haha - same world here - when you were armed with 24x7 dialup costs (businesses
      did not have flat rate dialup back then, it was message units) it was pretty easy to
      get your leased line approved.... assuming of course that the UUCP connection (or
      SLIP connection) was approved at all :-) back in the day the dialup message units would
      just vanish into "the phone bill" and if nobody was hawking that, likely not noticed.

      If you were ready to "go legit" then you could justify the leased line on the message
      unit savings.

      doug
    • David I. Emery
      Message 2 of 4 , May 27, 2013
        On Mon, May 27, 2013 at 11:49:29AM -0400, doug humphrey wrote:

        > On May 27, 2013, at 5:41 AM, coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com wrote:

        > > 1c. Re: Mallard Communications Project
        > > Posted by: "John K Scoggin, Jr" aat3bf@... jks19714
        > > Date: Sun May 26, 2013 3:03 pm ((PDT))
        > >
        > > I recall the "big upgrade" on the NSFnet from 56kbps trunks to T-1. My
        > > employer had a Telebit dialup link via UUnet (formerly used for UUCP
        > > networking) which was active on-demand (which rapidly turned into a 7x24
        > > dial connection from Delaware to Arlington VA). It wasn't long before we
        > > moved to a 56Kbps DDS link.
        >
        > haha - same world here - when you were armed with 24x7 dialup costs (businesses
        > did not have flat rate dialup back then, it was message units) it was pretty easy to
        > get your leased line approved.... assuming of course that the UUCP connection (or
        > SLIP connection) was approved at all :-) back in the day the dialup message units would
        > just vanish into "the phone bill" and if nobody was hawking that, likely not noticed.
        >
        > If you were ready to "go legit" then you could justify the leased line on the message
        > unit savings.

        We were lucky at CRDS, testing our UUCP port was important enough
        to justify the connection time... though there was a bit of fuss about
        toll calls... and some negotiations about who called who.

        Years later at Clearpoint connecting to NEARNET via 9600 leased
        and then 56 K was something everyone really wanted badly so the money
        was produced. Do remember it wasn't cheap, but so neat that everyone
        signed on eagerly.

        I do remember controls were loose on phone charges and if someone
        had looked there might have been a different perspective...

        --
        Dave Emery N1PRE/AE, die@... DIE Consulting, Weston, Mass 02493
        'For Rent' sign still vainly flapping outside on the weed encrusted pole - in
        Message 3 of 4 , May 27, 2013
          CRDS as in Charles River Data Systems?

          Funny, I bought a Universe 32 (running UNOS and the Unify DBMS) as the host
          computer for our Help Desk. Incredibly reliable machine, even with that
          huge Winchester disk drive. J I think it was a 70-mb disk.

          john

          <mailto:coldwarcomms%40yahoogroups.com> wrote:

          > > 1c. Re: Mallard Communications Project
          > > Posted by: "John K Scoggin, Jr" aat3bf@...
          <mailto:aat3bf%40armymars.net> jks19714

          Dave Emery N1PRE/AE, die@... <mailto:die%40dieconsulting.com>

          Message 4 of 4 , May 27, 2013
            On Mon, May 27, 2013 at 08:34:25PM -0400, John K Scoggin, Jr wrote:
            > CRDS as in Charles River Data Systems?

            Yes... as in Natick and then Framingham Mass...

            > Funny, I bought a Universe 32 (running UNOS and the Unify DBMS) as the host
            > computer for our Help Desk. Incredibly reliable machine, even with that
            > huge Winchester disk drive. J I think it was a 70-mb disk.

            Our stuff was often used for things like that that involved
            multiple terminals... a long long time ago...