Re: [coldwarcomms] Mallard Communications Project

  • Sam Etler
    Message 1 of 8 , May 26, 2013
      On Sun, May 26, 2013 at 11:31 AM, OZOB99 <ozob99@...> wrote:

      > A multi national comms network from the 1960's & cancelled about 1970.
      >
      > Here is one of the few websites with any detail:
      >
      > http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/746209.pdf

      I found some other references to MALLARD. In ESD-TR-88-276, "A Historical
      Chronology of the Electronic Systems Division 1947-1986":

      September 7, 1969: ESD Detachment 13, Project MALLARD, was designated and
      organized at Fort Monmouth, New Jersey.

      January 4, 1971: The Electronic Systems Division was designated to manage
      Air Force participation in TRI-TAC, the follow-on to the MALLARD program.
      Later in the month, the ESD MALLARD Project Office was renamed the Air
      Force TRI-TAC Project Office.

      There's a good description of the TRI-TAC system in MCWP 6-22 (Marine Corps
      Warfighting Publication), Communications and Information Systems, from
      1998. There's a more detailed document, MCWP 6-22F, Switched Backbone, from
      2000 that has information. The AN/TTC-42, SB-3865, AN/TTC-39, and AN/TYC-39
      are switches used here.

      Those documents should be easy to find online but if anyone needs me to
      provide copies I can.

      I did a Congressional search for Project MALLARD and found tons of hits. It
      was of some contention during the Dept. of Defense Appropriations hearings
      for 1971 where there were questions around whether it was worth developing
      a system to communicate with our allies when communications between the
      various branches of the US military wasn't standardized at the time. These
      hearings were in 1970 and TRI-TAC replaced MALLARD in 1971. It would take a
      lot of digging to figure the out entire story of what happened, but there's
      definitely references out there.

      sam

    • jhaynesatalumni
      Message 2 of 8 , May 27, 2013

        > A multi national comms network from the 1960's & cancelled about 1970.
        >
        > Here is one of the few websites with any detail:
        >
        > http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/746209.pdf
        >
        > P1
        What I got from that was a symposium on frequency control. Do
        you have a different URL?
        Message 3 of 8 , May 27, 2013
          Did you check P1-8?; I did'nt find much other than mentions of it elsewhere; Sam Etler's post has some some references with detail.

          There are other docs shown on DTIC.MIL but not available online.

          --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, jhhaynes@... wrote:

          > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "OZOB99" <ozob99@> wrote:
          > >
          > > A multi national comms network from the 1960's & cancelled about 1970.
          > >
          > > Here is one of the few websites with any detail:
          > >
          > > http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/746209.pdf
          > >
          > > P1
          > What I got from that was a symposium on frequency control. Do
          > you have a different URL?

        • jhaynesatalumni
          Message 4 of 8 , May 27, 2013

            > Did you check P1-8?; I did'nt find much other than mentions of it elsewhere; Sam Etler's post has some some references with detail.

            OK - no I didn't check those pages, just looked at the title and
            assumed it was the wrong document. Sorry.