800 historical phone phreaking documents posted

  • Phil Lapsley
    Message 1 of 1 , May 21, 2013
      While researching my book on phone phreaking, "Exploding The Phone", I amassed an unenviably large collection of papers -- newspaper and magazine articles, memos, FBI files, etc. -- related to phone phreaking, some of which may be relevant to members of this group.

      Scanned PDFs of most of these docs, totaling about 800 files, are now available on the book's web site. A handful of examples:

      * Flyer for a 1973 phone phreak convention in NYC: http://explodingthephone.com/docs/dbx0285.pdf
      * Bell Labs memo discussing the 1971 Esquire article: http://explodingthephone.com/docs/dbx0397.pdf
      * An FBI file on a 1974 investigation into a mass-produced blue box
      disguised as a desk calculator: http://explodingthephone.com/docs/dbx0859.pdf

      (Thanks to the numerous phone phreaks who donated many of these docs.)

      You can search the database of documents at http://explodingthephone.com/search.php An example search might be: http://explodingthephone.com/search.php?q=engressia which will get you documents related to Joe Engressia, the famous blind kid once described as the "Grandaddy of phone phreaking."

      Finally, I've also posted some "extras" that I just couldn't fit into the book. These range from small essays or stories to interview transcripts to more technical notes on various aspects of the old network. They can be found at http://explodingthephone.com/extras

      Enjoy,

      Phil