Watseka, IL AT&T Repater Station

  • wn9meu
    Message 1 of 2 , May 21, 2013
      Good evening all ----------- last week there was some conversation about the old cable route heading south out of Chicago toward Terre Haute, IN.

      One of the main repeater stations on that route at Watseka was elluding discovery and documentation. A couple years ago I found the site on one of my travels and have now dug out the information to share. According to Google Earth here's the coordinates at the front door----- 40°46'50.70" N 87°42'17.82" W I've attached the overhead view from GE.

      Unfortunately the "photos" I took are actually video and have to figure out how to parse the video tape into site specific files. Somebody want to give me some ideas about how to do that so I can share them with all?

      Retirees ----------- surely you have some stories to add...........................

      Albert ------------- add the information to the Long Lines "Places" file?

      Tim Fox

    • cpe122
      Message 2 of 2 , May 23, 2013
        Thanks for sharing. I think all of the original "named" VF repeater stations on this route/corridor have been located at this point:

        - Crete
        - Watseka
        - Danville
        - Terra Haute, IN

        Though to complete, I guess we'd need to know exactly where Chicago No. 3 is/was located.

        Unfortunately there is a big void around Chicago where none of the auxiliary repeaters seem to be known to exist. In terms of K's, that includes:

        - Chicago K2W
        - Chicago K1W
        - Chicago KS
        - Chicago KE
        - Chicago 2KE
        - Chesterton KW
        - Chesterton K2W

        Also of interest in the Chicagoland area:

        - East Chicago (IN) station on the old cable route (may or may not be CO)
        - Joliet
        - La Grange
        - Chicago No. 4.

        Any help appreciated!

        /cpe

        p.s. Here is the latest rendition of IL:

        http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/display/1369361298-09934-70.16.72.20.html