Troposcatter Systems

    Message 1 of 3 , May 19, 2013
      I have uploaded "Troposcatter Systems in North America", a 1966 article with route maps & a chronological list of system details; includes Europe, Middle East & SEA routes.

      A small version of just the map appeared some time ago and since
      disappeared; it left a lot of questions open which can now be answered.

      Of primary interest to me was the AT&T route,#88 with no map location, which of course is the tropo interconnection of the Project offices, with the designation LL-176; this correlates with the Teletype Corp's 176 Project for developing the High Speed ASR and Facsimile.I queried a couple of folks who might have known, who confirmed that 176 was a term used internally(and obviously for procurement). The question remains as to whether the gov't agency(s) behind the project had another name for it?

      Next it seems the Navy used the term "Condor 1", on route #60, for the NECPA ships. Condor 2, route #69 in Spain, appears to have a terminal
      offshore;Nick England thinks it's a map overlay slippage, and the route is likely Rota-Moron, USN comms sites.

      Carolina's Tropo, route M, has a number of possibilities;AN/TRC-66 was a USAF system, and the terminals could have been Seymour Johnston,Pope(Ft Bragg),Myrtle Beach & Shaw(Charleston even);Other possibilities include Camp Lejuene & Ft Jackson.

      Many of these routes have been mentioned in this forum but lacked the
      details now available.

      If anyone has info on any route please share with the group.

      I tried uploading the PDF(15MB) & now I find you can't upload any file
      larger than 5120KB; so i'll export the pages to JPG's, and upload to
      Photos, "Troposcatter Systems" folder with the document pages. P13-17 is the route list, P18-22 are the route maps, you will need to view as "Large" or "original".
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1, 2013
        This document lists NRC(National Radio Co) as a tropo vendor along with REL on the 1956 Texas Towers link; I've never seen any reference to NRC tropo gear, anyone have any info?

        The tower gear is listed in TT articles as AN/FRC-56(REL 2300), perhaps the NRC was at a shore terminal.

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 14, 2014
          Here is a photo of the original Ewen Knight 10KW Texas Tower tropo transmitter, later sold to National Radio Company and  known  as National-Ewen Knight
          Apparently the REL 2300 was the 2nd generation on the towers.

          section 2, Texas Towers