The group's Files archive is ful

    Message 1 of 9 , May 15, 2013
      While the Photos archive has 98GB! free space, unfortunately only image files can be posted.

      Unless Yahoo can reallocate space, the only remedy I see is to move the many JPG files in "Files" to the Photos archive.

      I have about 20 MB of PDF files at present I'd like to post; these particular ones may not be in the public domain, and best not on a public server with open access; in my experience the "Files & Photos" archive files do not come up in Google et al search engines, & thus not readily available to anyone outside the group.
      Message 2 of 9 , May 15, 2013
        My apologies for not getting on that sooner - I'll free up some space in
        today or tomorrow.

        Albert

        Message 3 of 9 , May 15, 2013
          OK, I just moved the AUTOVON folder to the Photos section, which frees about
          7MB in Files.

          It looks like most of the space in Files used by non-image items (PDFs,
          etc.), but I will ask the contributors of some of the larger files for
          permission to move them to my sites, which have lots of space.

          Albert

          Message 4 of 9 , May 15, 2013
            Just found some large images in Photos which I can move; should be no
            problems getting you that 20 MB. There should be around 9 MB free by now.

            Albert

            Message 5 of 9 , May 16, 2013
              On 5/15/13 11:29 PM, Albert LaFrance wrote:

              > Just found some large images in Photos which I can move; should be no
              > problems getting you that 20 MB. There should be around 9 MB free by now.

              There are a bunch of maps in Documents as well; they are (I think) jpg's &
              might be moved.

              Perhaps peripheral but re: cleanup, it might be nice to clean up the naming
              of photo arrays. Most specific sites are "AT&T $NAME" but there are some
              like "ATT $NAME", "AT & T $NAME", etc. Given the constraints of Yahoo, such
              as no way to "go to Page 7 of 9" just NEXT NEXT...., it would be easier to
              find things if it was consistent.

              Given how tenuous Yahoo, Inc's existence looks, we should also have backup
              schemes.
            • Mike Cowen
              Message 6 of 9 , May 16, 2013
                Thanks Albert!

                Perhaps we are near that point of using the old
                Yahoo Groups trick of adding a secondary group
                exclusively for the additional storage it
                provides, i.e. "coldwarcomms1". NO message
                traffic is allowed in those expansion groups.

                I'm a member of several other groups where this
                has been done (several times) due to the vast
                collection of digital artifacts in those subject areas.

                The growing pains usually revolve around getting
                everyone subscribed to the second (or third!)
                group, reminding members to use the group that
                ISN'T full, and communicating that necessity to
                new members. We have many tech savvy members, so
                I doubt the effect would be more than trivial
                here. A "signpost" file ("Files FULL? Readme!") can also serve as a reminder.

                For those who asked; no, the ratio of files vs.
                photos space cannot be changed. Yes, photos in
                the Files area CAN be moved to Photos, but NO
                non-image files can be in the Photos area.
                Finally, NO, you cannot move files or photo
                between groups through Yahoo. While Yahoo has
                allowed secondary groups to exist without
                complaint, they do not make it that easy to
                exploit this workaround for stored documents. No FTP here.

                Mike

                At 08:29 PM 5/15/2013, you wrote:

                >Just found some large images in Photos which I can move; should be no
                >problems getting you that 20 MB. There should be around 9 MB free by now.
                >
                >Albert

              • Mike Cowen
                Message 7 of 9 , May 16, 2013
                  Yes! Backup methods are highly recommended,
                  especially given how rare some of these documents are.

                  While I doubt Yahoo would vanish outright, being prepared hurts nobody.

                  Mike

                  Message 8 of 9 , May 16, 2013
                    thanks guys;since moving image files is only option at present I'll move some of mine to Photos; is there an easy way or must you delete in Files & add back in Photos?

                    And while we're at it how about deleting the OT stuff like American bandstand & wfil oldies music files, south African something or other etc .

                    --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Mike Cowen <weldedrail@...> wrote:

                    > Yes! Backup methods are highly recommended,
                    > especially given how rare some of these documents are.
                    >
                    > While I doubt Yahoo would vanish outright, being prepared hurts nobody.
                    >
                    > Mike
                    >

                    > At 03:17 AM 5/16/2013, you wrote:
                    > >

                    > >On 5/15/13 11:29 PM, Albert LaFrance wrote:
                    > >
                    > > > Just found some large images in Photos which I can move; should be no
                    > > > problems getting you that 20 MB. There should be around 9 MB free by now.
                    > >
                    > >There are a bunch of maps in Documents as well; they are (I think) jpg's &
                    > >might be moved.
                    > >
                    > >Perhaps peripheral but re: cleanup, it might be nice to clean up the naming
                    > >of photo arrays. Most specific sites are "AT&T $NAME" but there are some
                    > >like "ATT $NAME", "AT & T $NAME", etc. Given the constraints of Yahoo, such
                    > >as no way to "go to Page 7 of 9" just NEXT NEXT...., it would be easier to
                    > >find things if it was consistent.
                    > >
                    > >Given how tenuous Yahoo, Inc's existence looks, we should also have backup
                    > >schemes.

                  • Kris Kirby
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 25, 2013
                      On Thu, 16 May 2013, Mike Cowen wrote:
                      > Yes! Backup methods are highly recommended, especially given how rare
                      > some of these documents are.
                      >
                      > While I doubt Yahoo would vanish outright, being prepared hurts
                      > nobody.

                      Yahoo! doesn't make it easy to mirror the filezone.

                      --
                      Kris Kirby, KE4AHR
                      Disinformation Analyst