Re: Periscope in Lasalle Illinois. Is it still in use?

  • s82917
    Message 1 of 31 , May 14, 2013
      The map shown at the link posted below indicates that there was a K hut on the grounds of the Grant Park microwave site, the spot that is pinned looks like it's at the north edge of the main building. I know that there is a L carrier concrete block building across the road from Grant Park, was the K building where the microwave building now stands? If so, was that determined through a property records search?

      BTW, I have photos of the L carrier building which I can post if someone hasn't already done so.

      Message 31 of 31 , May 16, 2013
        I recall Grant Park on an order wire layout;major stations on K/L routes communicated back in the day via Express Order Circuits; the circuit was XOC-n New York(or Washington)-VP(various points) with West Unity & Grant Park, Toledo,etc; these were two tone dial signaling with 2 or 3 digit codes. There was a Super Express Order Circuit (SXOC) on some of these routes with drops in the major cities.

        Radio routes had a similar order wire; ROC between mains,terminals & repeaters; XROC between major terminals & junctions; signaling was reed sequential or voice calling during maintenance with speakers activated.

        A Cold War anecdote: when working on a Kates Mt route(The Greenbrier)you did't call "Kates Mt" like other named stations, you called the tech's name so others on the circuit wouldn't know what was going on or where.I'd bet similar procedures when working on feeds to Mt Weather. In the early days Wash 4 had the C1 alarm & ROC to it's associated stations only for security(normally a C1 center had 10 or more stations on several routes & each one could hear any dialog).