Northern Illinois K-Huts -- WAS ---Re: [coldwarcomms] Re: Periscope in Lasalle Illinois. Is it still in use?

  • cpe122
    Message 1 of 10 , May 13, 2013
      --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, tdfox@... wrote:

      > Terry, et al -- good evening.
      >
      > Thank you for posting the additional details on the 3 sites west of Wyanet. So Far I have had the chance to view all but these sites on the Northern route and the Wyanaet - St Louis route.

      It looks like we're still missing two between Wyanet and St. Louis; namely Springfield KS and Gillespie KS (north of what you call Pontoon Beach). Can you help with locations of those two?

      /cpe
    • rjfrank1@ymail.com
      Message 2 of 10 , May 13, 2013
        > It looks like we're still missing two between Wyanet and St. Louis; namely Springfield KS and Gillespie KS (north of what you call Pontoon Beach).

        Gillespie KS: 38°57'2.92" N, 89°58'8.84" W

        Based on the Map #6 K-carrier route site designations, Pontoon Beach should be the St. Louis KN site location.

        I have not been able to locate Springfield KS either. The black placemark location near 39°34'47.15"N, 89°45'29.25"W with description "looks like L5" is actually a regen site on the NexGen fiber route AT&T deployed between Chicago-St. Louis in the early 2000's.

        RJFrank

        --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "cpe122" <cpe122@...> wrote:

        > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, tdfox@ wrote:
        > >
        > > Terry, et al -- good evening.
        > >
        > > Thank you for posting the additional details on the 3 sites west of Wyanet. So Far I have had the chance to view all but these sites on the Northern route and the Wyanaet - St Louis route.
        >
        > It looks like we're still missing two between Wyanet and St. Louis; namely Springfield KS and Gillespie KS (north of what you call Pontoon Beach). Can you help with locations of those two?
        >
        > /cpe

      • cpe122
        Message 3 of 10 , May 14, 2013
          --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "rjfrank1@..." <rjfrank1@...> wrote:

          > > It looks like we're still missing two between Wyanet and St. Louis; namely Springfield KS and Gillespie KS (north of what you call Pontoon Beach).
          >
          > Gillespie KS: 38°57'2.92" N, 89°58'8.84" W

          Awesome.

          > Based on the Map #6 K-carrier route site designations, Pontoon Beach should be the St. Louis KN site location.

          I would agree it obviously cannot be Gillespie KS as previously labeled, and I have changed it to St. Louis KN. However something is not right here; this hut does not have an addition. Heading north from there all of the huts have an addition all the way to the east/west route at Wyanet (the huts between Gillespie and Peoria KN have two additions).

          In addition, map 6 show this expanded? N/S route joining up with another K and the L to Terra Huate, IN. Assuming the first expansions weren't strictly for power plant (i.e. generators), It does seems plausible that all three cables used the one original, stock size building.

          > I have not been able to locate Springfield KS either.

          I think its been destroyed.

          > The black placemark location near 39°34'47.15"N, 89°45'29.25"W with description "looks like L5" is actually a regen site on the NexGen fiber route AT&T deployed between Chicago-St. Louis in the early 2000's.

          Tim says the line was a mile or west of there along Lead Line Road

          /cpe

          updated:
          http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/display/1368590404-32634-70.16.72.20.html

        • rjfrank1@ymail.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 2, 2013

            I was able to locate Springfield KS using historical imagery archived on Google Earth.  The Springfield KS site location is best viewed using the imagery dated from 4/14/1998.  The building was located on Lead Line Road approximately 1.66 miles north of the road intersection with Illinois SR 104.  Based on the available imagery, the building was demolished and removed sometime prior to 4/3/2005.

            Springfield KS:  39_36_45.20_N, 89_48_49.58_W; 12961-12999 Lead Line Rd, Auburn, IL

            Another demolished site I have located was on the K- Carrier route between Kansas City-St. Louis.  The Taussig K site location is best viewed using the imagery dated from 4/2004.   Also, based again on the available imagery, this site appears to have been demolished sometime prior to 5/2007.

            Taussig K:  38_45_48.82_N, 90_26_47.60_W; 13019 Boenker Lane, Bridgeton, MO

            Finally, I was reading through the discussion threads today concerning the K-carrier route west of Ottawa, IL enroute to Chicago.  After researching on Google Earth, I stumbled across the Ottawa K2E site location in Minooka, IL.  I am somewhat taken back that the site is still standing where it is located...

            Ottawa K2E:  41 -27 -18.90_N,  88_16_17.90_W;  7568-7598 East Minooka Road, Minnoka, IL.

            ---In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, <coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

            --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "rjfrank1@..." <rjfrank1@...> wrote:

            > > It looks like we're still missing two between Wyanet and St. Louis; namely Springfield KS and Gillespie KS (north of what you call Pontoon Beach).
            >
            > Gillespie KS: 38°57'2.92" N, 89°58'8.84" W

            Awesome.

            > Based on the Map #6 K-carrier route site designations, Pontoon Beach should be the St. Louis KN site location.

            I would agree it obviously cannot be Gillespie KS as previously labeled, and I have changed it to St. Louis KN. However something is not right here; this hut does not have an addition. Heading north from there all of the huts have an addition all the way to the east/west route at Wyanet (the huts between Gillespie and Peoria KN have two additions).

            In addition, map 6 show this expanded? N/S route joining up with another K and the L to Terra Huate, IN. Assuming the first expansions weren't strictly for power plant (i.e. generators), It does seems plausible that all three cables used the one original, stock size building.

            > I have not been able to locate Springfield KS either.

            I think its been destroyed.

            > The black placemark location near 39°34'47.15"N, 89°45'29.25"W with description "looks like L5" is actually a regen site on the NexGen fiber route AT&T deployed between Chicago-St. Louis in the early 2000's.

            Tim says the line was a mile or west of there along Lead Line Road

            /cpe

            updated:
            http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/display/1368590404-32634-70.16.72.20.html

            > RJFrank
            >

            > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "cpe122" <cpe122@> wrote:
            > >
            > > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, tdfox@ wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Terry, et al -- good evening.
            > > >
            > > > Thank you for posting the additional details on the 3 sites west of Wyanet. So Far I have had the chance to view all but these sites on the Northern route and the Wyanaet - St Louis route.
            > >
            > > It looks like we're still missing two between Wyanet and St. Louis; namely Springfield KS and Gillespie KS (north of what you call Pontoon Beach). Can you help with locations of those two?
            > >
            > > /cpe

          • cpe122
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 2, 2013

              www.gpsvisualizer.com/display/1383427154-12805-70.16.73.11.html

               Although I had this address for Springfield KS in my notes as a "possibility" (USGS map shows a building that is no longer here), and I liked the Lead Line Rd name, it wasn't loaded in the db as we felt it was too far west (and maybe a little too far north).  USGS B/W imagery just isn't good enough to make out for sure.  The pipelines on both sides of the hut created just enough doubt.  I'd pretty much given up getting this one.

              I never thought Taussig would be found either.  I searched Taussig Ave. real well, but never went down and looked at the old road as it doesn't look like Taussig Ave ever went down that far--nice find!  BTW it does show up in bing Bird's Eye view, except in the highest magnification levels.  It looks like it might have had two additions on the rear...

              As to Ottawa K2E in Minooka, I agree, in such built up areas they are usually in "productive" use as something, or they are gone!  This seems to be neither; although it looks like the electric meter is still in.  It doesn't look like it'd be in use as a SLC location, but I did notice there is a cross connect box on the edge of the property.  I guess I need to install Google Earth.

              Joliet ?

              /cpe

            • rjfrank1@ymail.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 3, 2013
                cpe122, thanks for the comments!  I have had no success researching the K-Carrier route east of Ottawa K2E en-route to Chicago with exception of locating the Joliet Main CO/JOLTILJO; 262 N Ottawa Street.

                I noticed that the GPS Visualizer route map also included the Joplin-Kansas City K-Carrier route.  I have located the majority of the sites on the route not listed on the map but will create a new discussion topic to avoid providing site coordinates for sites in Kansas on a discussion thread for Northern Illinois...

> [...]

                Tim says the line was a mile or west of there along Lead Line Road

                /cpe

                updated:
                http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/display/1368590404-32634-70.16.72.20.html

                > RJFrank
                >

                > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "cpe122" <cpe122@> wrote:
                > >
                > > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, tdfox@ wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Terry, et al -- good evening.
                > > >
                > > > Thank you for posting the additional details on the 3 sites west of Wyanet. So Far I have had the chance to view all but these sites on the Northern route and the Wyanaet - St Louis route.
                > >
                > > It looks like we're still missing two between Wyanet and St. Louis; namely Springfield KS and Gillespie KS (north of what you call Pontoon Beach). Can you help with locations of those two?

              • cpe122
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 3, 2013
                  I kind of like the building at 215 (North Ottawa and W Webster) in Joliet...

                  http://goo.gl/maps/wxH5B

                  /cpe

                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 4, 2013

                     Circa 1931:

                    http://lcweb2.loc.gov/pnp/habshaer/il/il0500/il0584/data/il0584data.pdf

> [...]

                    Tim says the line was a mile or west of there along Lead Line Road

                    /cpe

                    updated:
                    http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/display/1368590404-32634-70.16.72.20.html

                    > RJFrank
                    >

                    > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "cpe122" <cpe122@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, tdfox@ wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Terry, et al -- good evening.
                    > > >
                    > > > Thank you for posting the additional details on the 3 sites west of Wyanet. So Far I have had the chance to view all but these sites on the Northern route and the Wyanaet - St Louis route.
                    > >
                    > > It looks like we're still missing two between Wyanet and St. Louis; namely Springfield KS and Gillespie KS (north of what you call Pontoon Beach). Can you help with locations of those two?

                  • wn9meu
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 5, 2013

                      RJ, et al --------- good afternoon.

                      The current body of knowledge about the Illinois K routes is now pretty complete with the identification (recounted in a current, separate set of emails) of the Springfield KS station west of Auburn on Lead Line Road.  I have run that route several times looking for remnants of the station but have been unsuccessful.  Good it was found.  The Ottawa - Joliet route is fully documented between the efforts of several, including Al and CPE.  I provided several pictures of Ottawa K1E west of Morris on US Route 6, now contained in Albert's excellent Long Lines site http://long-lines.net/places-routes/MorrisIL-K/index.html

                      I believe Al has published a list providing lat/long and identification for all sites.  I have pictures of the original Springfield  Main RS located on South 5th Street  awaiting time to forward to the list.

                      And yes, it is odd that Minooka has survived.  The last time I was by there and photo'd it there had been a "window cut into the southwest side and the "ambiance" of the site suggested it had been used as a residence.  ???????  I can remember the days when it was "out in the country".  Guess I'd better get busy and share those photos, too.

                      It is our shared obligation to happily document this important part of our communications history..................................

                      Tim Fox