Northern Illinois K-Huts -- WAS ---Re: [coldwarcomms] Re: Periscope in Lasalle Illinois. Is it still in use?

  • feline1900
    Message 1 of 10 , May 13, 2013
      Terry, et al -- good evening.

      Thank you for posting the additional details on the 3 sites west of Wyanet. So Far I have had the chance to view all but these sites on the Northern route and the Wyanaet - St Louis route.

      Sadly, the Wyanet RS building is now gone. When AT&T was disposing of its properties, Wyanet was allegedly purchased by one of the local Veterans organizations for use as its Post Home. I can't think of a more fitting and meaningful use of the property considering the significance of the AT&T A&B Cable routes to World War II, Korea, the Cold War, and Viet Nam. Unfortunately, the project fell on hard times, the building continued to deteriorate, and it was ultimately demolished. All that's left now is the manhole where the aerial cables came down to enter ducts for the last 100 or so feet to reach the vault where they were spliced to the tip cables carrying the circuits up to the Main Frame.

      During their hey-day the A&B Routes across the nation were so militarily significant that I have been told that there had to be DoD presence ANY time the sheath was opened. One of my most cherished mentors told of his first weekend duty as the new (at that time in the late 50s) Wirechief in Ottawa when he gets the call for an A&B cable outage between Ottawa and LaSalle late one Saturday night. Turns out it was a fatal one-car auto accident where the driver had lost control, wiped out one of the poles, and the car had burst into flames, severely damaging both cables. He tells that his splicers were not allowed to touch anything to begin restoration until DoD representatives were on-site to observe.

      Had I known of the Wyanet building coming on the market I would have certainly at least looked into buying it. As would be expected, AT&T had maintained it well and although it had been "Retired in Place" for several years, the paint was peeling, and there was some surface water in the basement, it was a sound building. I'd have liked to have it both for my passion for the old A&B route, and because my inlaws lived just a few miles away and could look over it for me. Rumors are that most of the old K route properties went for obscenely low prices. It is locally told that the K-Hut at Camp Grove south of Wyanet was sold to the adjoining farmer for $75.

      Tim Fox

      May 13, 2013 10:16:58 AM, coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com wrote:
      > ; Some years back I found some old site plan drawings for the K sites between Wyanet and the Quad cities. Matching the drawings with existing roads I was able to find the Wyanet K1W hut near Mineral, 41-23-48 / 89-50-03, and the Wyanet K2W hut near Geneseo, 41-27-30 / 90-06-18, but I didn't find the K hut near Colona (AKA Green River). If anyone finds the Colona hut please post it's location.
      >
      >--- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, tdfox@... wrote:
      >>

      >> cpe, et al --------- good evening. Going east from Ottawa there is a K-hut located about 5 miles west of Morris on US 6, north side of the road. It now has a late model fiber repeater also located on the property. I photdocumented this site for Albert and it is in his excellent Long Lines site. http://long-lines.net/places-routes/MorrisIL-K/index.html The next in line was in Minooka and then a major manned station in Joliet (I think it was in the Joliet Main C.O.) From there I have no specific knowledge. Going west from Ottawa there was the LaSalle site you "bingd" and one further west about 3 miles east of Interstate 180 in the area north of Bureau. Then further west was the Wyanet manned station where the spur south to Peoria and St Louis split off as the main route continued west to the Quad Cities with a hut in Mineral, another manned station in Geneseo, and another hut in the Green River area. Another of our members (first name "Al") has prepared an exhaustive list of the the K routes and locations. Sadly his list was lost in a recent hard drive "experience". There was another major route that went south from Chicago, thru Crete, Watseka, and to Danville where I guess it split east into Indiana.
      >>

      >> May 12, 2013 10:16:33 PM, coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      >> >www.co-buildings.com/il/815/la_salle.JPG

      >> >Route map 6 show a cable from the CO to the K hut (Ottawa KW) built on the old VF route. I am wonder if anyone knows whether this tie cable was VF only or whether it carried K circuits into a carrier terminal in the CO?
      >> >
      >> >a heavy buried N Carrier route to Ottawa and on to Norway Regional, and an Illinois Bell owned and operated microwave route that extended east to a repeater (also using reflectors with low mounted dishes) located north of Ottawa near Interstate 80 and then on to Norway. In later years the radio and copper routes were supplanted by early fiber. And by that time the hierarchical switching format had be retired in favor of newer technologies.

      >> >Things still show up in Bing pretty good
      >> >Ottawa KW: http://binged.it/13rNafT
      >> >Ottawa VF: http://binged.it/13rNJGL
      >> >
      >> >Do you know the route/where the huts were east of Ottawa K1E in towards Chicago?
      >> >
      >> >/cpe
      >> >and the LaSalle roof mount tower was RIP'd and stilll forlornly stands there as testament to technologies past. Hard telling what all is in the LaSalle office in addition to the local switching now....................

    • cpe122
      Message 2 of 10 , May 13, 2013
        --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, tdfox@... wrote:

        > Terry, et al -- good evening.
        >
        > Thank you for posting the additional details on the 3 sites west of Wyanet. So Far I have had the chance to view all but these sites on the Northern route and the Wyanaet - St Louis route.

        It looks like we're still missing two between Wyanet and St. Louis; namely Springfield KS and Gillespie KS (north of what you call Pontoon Beach). Can you help with locations of those two?

        /cpe
      • rjfrank1@ymail.com
        Message 3 of 10 , May 13, 2013
          > It looks like we're still missing two between Wyanet and St. Louis; namely Springfield KS and Gillespie KS (north of what you call Pontoon Beach).

          Gillespie KS: 38°57'2.92" N, 89°58'8.84" W

          Based on the Map #6 K-carrier route site designations, Pontoon Beach should be the St. Louis KN site location.

          I have not been able to locate Springfield KS either. The black placemark location near 39°34'47.15"N, 89°45'29.25"W with description "looks like L5" is actually a regen site on the NexGen fiber route AT&T deployed between Chicago-St. Louis in the early 2000's.

          RJFrank

          --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "cpe122" <cpe122@...> wrote:

          > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, tdfox@ wrote:
          > >
          > > Terry, et al -- good evening.
          > >
          > > Thank you for posting the additional details on the 3 sites west of Wyanet. So Far I have had the chance to view all but these sites on the Northern route and the Wyanaet - St Louis route.
          >
          > It looks like we're still missing two between Wyanet and St. Louis; namely Springfield KS and Gillespie KS (north of what you call Pontoon Beach). Can you help with locations of those two?
          >
          > /cpe

        • cpe122
          Message 4 of 10 , May 14, 2013
            --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "rjfrank1@..." <rjfrank1@...> wrote:

            > > It looks like we're still missing two between Wyanet and St. Louis; namely Springfield KS and Gillespie KS (north of what you call Pontoon Beach).
            >
            > Gillespie KS: 38°57'2.92" N, 89°58'8.84" W

            Awesome.

            > Based on the Map #6 K-carrier route site designations, Pontoon Beach should be the St. Louis KN site location.

            I would agree it obviously cannot be Gillespie KS as previously labeled, and I have changed it to St. Louis KN. However something is not right here; this hut does not have an addition. Heading north from there all of the huts have an addition all the way to the east/west route at Wyanet (the huts between Gillespie and Peoria KN have two additions).

            In addition, map 6 show this expanded? N/S route joining up with another K and the L to Terra Huate, IN. Assuming the first expansions weren't strictly for power plant (i.e. generators), It does seems plausible that all three cables used the one original, stock size building.

            > I have not been able to locate Springfield KS either.

            I think its been destroyed.

            > The black placemark location near 39°34'47.15"N, 89°45'29.25"W with description "looks like L5" is actually a regen site on the NexGen fiber route AT&T deployed between Chicago-St. Louis in the early 2000's.

            Tim says the line was a mile or west of there along Lead Line Road

            /cpe

            updated:
            http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/display/1368590404-32634-70.16.72.20.html

          • rjfrank1@ymail.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 2, 2013

              I was able to locate Springfield KS using historical imagery archived on Google Earth.  The Springfield KS site location is best viewed using the imagery dated from 4/14/1998.  The building was located on Lead Line Road approximately 1.66 miles north of the road intersection with Illinois SR 104.  Based on the available imagery, the building was demolished and removed sometime prior to 4/3/2005.

              Springfield KS:  39_36_45.20_N, 89_48_49.58_W; 12961-12999 Lead Line Rd, Auburn, IL

              Another demolished site I have located was on the K- Carrier route between Kansas City-St. Louis.  The Taussig K site location is best viewed using the imagery dated from 4/2004.   Also, based again on the available imagery, this site appears to have been demolished sometime prior to 5/2007.

              Taussig K:  38_45_48.82_N, 90_26_47.60_W; 13019 Boenker Lane, Bridgeton, MO

              Finally, I was reading through the discussion threads today concerning the K-carrier route west of Ottawa, IL enroute to Chicago.  After researching on Google Earth, I stumbled across the Ottawa K2E site location in Minooka, IL.  I am somewhat taken back that the site is still standing where it is located...

              Ottawa K2E:  41 -27 -18.90_N,  88_16_17.90_W;  7568-7598 East Minooka Road, Minnoka, IL.

              ---In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, <coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

              --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "rjfrank1@..." <rjfrank1@...> wrote:

              > > It looks like we're still missing two between Wyanet and St. Louis; namely Springfield KS and Gillespie KS (north of what you call Pontoon Beach).
              >
              > Gillespie KS: 38°57'2.92" N, 89°58'8.84" W

              Awesome.

              > Based on the Map #6 K-carrier route site designations, Pontoon Beach should be the St. Louis KN site location.

              I would agree it obviously cannot be Gillespie KS as previously labeled, and I have changed it to St. Louis KN. However something is not right here; this hut does not have an addition. Heading north from there all of the huts have an addition all the way to the east/west route at Wyanet (the huts between Gillespie and Peoria KN have two additions).

              In addition, map 6 show this expanded? N/S route joining up with another K and the L to Terra Huate, IN. Assuming the first expansions weren't strictly for power plant (i.e. generators), It does seems plausible that all three cables used the one original, stock size building.

              > I have not been able to locate Springfield KS either.

              I think its been destroyed.

              > The black placemark location near 39°34'47.15"N, 89°45'29.25"W with description "looks like L5" is actually a regen site on the NexGen fiber route AT&T deployed between Chicago-St. Louis in the early 2000's.

              Tim says the line was a mile or west of there along Lead Line Road

              /cpe

              updated:
              http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/display/1368590404-32634-70.16.72.20.html

              > RJFrank
              >

              > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "cpe122" <cpe122@> wrote:
              > >
              > > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, tdfox@ wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Terry, et al -- good evening.
              > > >
              > > > Thank you for posting the additional details on the 3 sites west of Wyanet. So Far I have had the chance to view all but these sites on the Northern route and the Wyanaet - St Louis route.
              > >
              > > It looks like we're still missing two between Wyanet and St. Louis; namely Springfield KS and Gillespie KS (north of what you call Pontoon Beach). Can you help with locations of those two?
              > >
              > > /cpe

            • cpe122
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 2, 2013

                www.gpsvisualizer.com/display/1383427154-12805-70.16.73.11.html

                 Although I had this address for Springfield KS in my notes as a "possibility" (USGS map shows a building that is no longer here), and I liked the Lead Line Rd name, it wasn't loaded in the db as we felt it was too far west (and maybe a little too far north).  USGS B/W imagery just isn't good enough to make out for sure.  The pipelines on both sides of the hut created just enough doubt.  I'd pretty much given up getting this one.

                I never thought Taussig would be found either.  I searched Taussig Ave. real well, but never went down and looked at the old road as it doesn't look like Taussig Ave ever went down that far--nice find!  BTW it does show up in bing Bird's Eye view, except in the highest magnification levels.  It looks like it might have had two additions on the rear...

                As to Ottawa K2E in Minooka, I agree, in such built up areas they are usually in "productive" use as something, or they are gone!  This seems to be neither; although it looks like the electric meter is still in.  It doesn't look like it'd be in use as a SLC location, but I did notice there is a cross connect box on the edge of the property.  I guess I need to install Google Earth.

                Joliet ?

                /cpe

              • rjfrank1@ymail.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 3, 2013
                  cpe122, thanks for the comments!  I have had no success researching the K-Carrier route east of Ottawa K2E en-route to Chicago with exception of locating the Joliet Main CO/JOLTILJO; 262 N Ottawa Street.

                  I noticed that the GPS Visualizer route map also included the Joplin-Kansas City K-Carrier route.  I have located the majority of the sites on the route not listed on the map but will create a new discussion topic to avoid providing site coordinates for sites in Kansas on a discussion thread for Northern Illinois...

> [...]

                  Tim says the line was a mile or west of there along Lead Line Road

                  /cpe

                  updated:
                  http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/display/1368590404-32634-70.16.72.20.html

                  > RJFrank
                  >

                  > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "cpe122" <cpe122@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, tdfox@ wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Terry, et al -- good evening.
                  > > >
                  > > > Thank you for posting the additional details on the 3 sites west of Wyanet. So Far I have had the chance to view all but these sites on the Northern route and the Wyanaet - St Louis route.
                  > >
                  > > It looks like we're still missing two between Wyanet and St. Louis; namely Springfield KS and Gillespie KS (north of what you call Pontoon Beach). Can you help with locations of those two?

                • cpe122
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 3, 2013
                    I kind of like the building at 215 (North Ottawa and W Webster) in Joliet...

                    http://goo.gl/maps/wxH5B

                    /cpe

                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 4, 2013

                       Circa 1931:

                      http://lcweb2.loc.gov/pnp/habshaer/il/il0500/il0584/data/il0584data.pdf

> [...]

                      Tim says the line was a mile or west of there along Lead Line Road

                      /cpe

                      updated:
                      http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/display/1368590404-32634-70.16.72.20.html

                      > RJFrank
                      >

                      > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "cpe122" <cpe122@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, tdfox@ wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Terry, et al -- good evening.
                      > > >
                      > > > Thank you for posting the additional details on the 3 sites west of Wyanet. So Far I have had the chance to view all but these sites on the Northern route and the Wyanaet - St Louis route.
                      > >
                      > > It looks like we're still missing two between Wyanet and St. Louis; namely Springfield KS and Gillespie KS (north of what you call Pontoon Beach). Can you help with locations of those two?

                    • wn9meu
                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 5, 2013

                        RJ, et al --------- good afternoon.

                        The current body of knowledge about the Illinois K routes is now pretty complete with the identification (recounted in a current, separate set of emails) of the Springfield KS station west of Auburn on Lead Line Road.  I have run that route several times looking for remnants of the station but have been unsuccessful.  Good it was found.  The Ottawa - Joliet route is fully documented between the efforts of several, including Al and CPE.  I provided several pictures of Ottawa K1E west of Morris on US Route 6, now contained in Albert's excellent Long Lines site http://long-lines.net/places-routes/MorrisIL-K/index.html

                        I believe Al has published a list providing lat/long and identification for all sites.  I have pictures of the original Springfield  Main RS located on South 5th Street  awaiting time to forward to the list.

                        And yes, it is odd that Minooka has survived.  The last time I was by there and photo'd it there had been a "window cut into the southwest side and the "ambiance" of the site suggested it had been used as a residence.  ???????  I can remember the days when it was "out in the country".  Guess I'd better get busy and share those photos, too.

                        It is our shared obligation to happily document this important part of our communications history..................................

                        Tim Fox