Re: MR AUTOVON

  • wftroskey
    Message 1 of 9 , May 13, 2013
      Oh yeah.......The switch guys LIVED for the call from DCA-EUR to "load the red deck for Donnersberg". That card reader was just the highest of high tech back then.

      I remember one of the shift supervisors in the switch commenting: "Some day the capabilities of this switch are going to fit in a room the size of the supervisor's office; and this room will be a tennis court or something." That was in 1981. RRRIIIIIGHT..... Next thing you're gonna tell me is that I'll have a phone that fits in my pocket & I'll be able to type on it....

      Bill

      (Sent from my Galaxy S3)

      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 30, 2013

         More on Donnersberg:

        http://www.5sigcmd.army.mil/news/2011/October/DonnersbergSiteClosure.html

        http://www.flickr.com/photos/5sigcmd/sets/72157627936594434/

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 31, 2013

          So DON was open for a few more years after Feldberg closed (late 90's).  I tried enlarging the picture of the map to read some of the station designators & see FEL, but to no avail.

          We had a reunion at FEL in 2007 (I wasn't able to go, unfortunately) & the guys got a site tour.  There ain't nuthin' sadder than empty cable racks & MDF, remembering how full they were.  It's all kinda bittersweet....

          Thanks again, OZOB99, for the memory jog.

          Bill

          ---In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, <coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

           More on Donnersberg:

          http://www.5sigcmd.army.mil/news/2011/October/DonnersbergSiteClosure.html

          http://www.flickr.com/photos/5sigcmd/sets/72157627936594434/

        • Matt Ashe
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 31, 2013

            I got a tour of the facility when I was stationed at Langerkopf back in 1987. It was a pretty awesome.

            Matt

            LKF 86-88

            SVL 88-91

            FEL/RMN 91-95

            SVL 95

            To: coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com
            > From: wftroskey@...
            > Date: Sun, 12 May 2013 19:47:03 +0000
            > Subject: [coldwarcomms] Re: MR AUTOVON

            > Very cool. I just read the preview pages, & it brought back some memories. Markers, register-senders, 5XB's, directionalizing trunks when a switch went down; nice little stroll down memory lane there. The author's name seems familiar too, but not sure if it was from back then or reading about him more recently. Gonna have to buy this one & read the whole thing.
            >

            > I don't know where or how you dig this stuff up, OZOB99, but keep it coming!
            >

            > Bill
            >

            > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "OZOB99" <ozob99@> wrote:
            >

            > > Very interesting book,familiar names & places:
            >

            > > http://books.google.com/books?id=x8CjZF9VkhkC&pg=PT101&lpg=PT101&dq=dca%2Bft+carson&source=bl&ots=ApDfZAsanv&sig=DhjVYZfaWsuAxd79gJiTeXJ1OzQ&hl=en&sa=X&ei=3kKOUaqdE4280QHTiIDQDA&ved=0CDYQ6AEwAjgK

          • radargeek247
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 31, 2013

              OZOB digs and spews, the rest of us lap it up!  Thanks, Ozob!

              Donnersberg.  Great memories, but same mountain, different tower!  In late July, 1969 our outfit (AFTV Germany) televised the activities surrounding, as well as the actual moon landing by Apollo XI and the Moon Walk.  It was the first time commercial US Network programming hit European audiences live, and also the first time ever for a live telecast from the US for the troops stationed overseas.

              We arranged for a feed from Eurovision direct to our studios in Ramstein.  Eurovision's "Blue Line", a two way European microwave network, 625 Line PAL standard, passed directly thru SWF's (Sudwestfunk) tower (Fernsehturm) atop the same mountain, Dannenfels.  I spent several days at Dannenfels, basically a one-pour 600 foot tall concrete tower, with a mast atop capable of supporting one VHF (Ch. 8 ARD (SWF)), two UHF's (Ch 22, ZDF), and Channel ??, just getting started, called 'German Third Television' (Deutsche Dritten Fernsehen).

              Having spent several years as a TV Broadcast Engineer in the states in the late 1950's and early 1960's, before joining the USAF, I was used to small market TV stations, getting by with as little test equipment as Ownership could get by with after we did our begging, crying and threatening that we really NEEDED a spectrum analyzer, a separate Tektronix 524 scope at the transmitter as well as at the studio, etc etc etc.

              One trip to Donnersberg and I was one jealous dude!!  Each TV station had TWO identical Rohde & Schwartz transmitters, alternate mains, one backing up the other.  There was a HUGE Rohde & Schwartz Televisiion Analyzer, consisting of two or three 6' tall 19" racks crammed with test equipment, on wheels, so it could be used on any of the transmitters,  Then there were the myriad FM transmitters, telco microwave, etc etc etc etc.

              In Germany and most of Europe in the 1960's there was little private television, most of it was Governmentally regulated monopolies, on a state by state basis. 100% of the RF transmission, STL, intercity microwave, and even news gathering microwave, was owned and operated by the Deutsche Bundespost (DB), the equivalent of our AT&T Long Lines.

              In reality, DB was the Deutsches Bundespost, roughly meaning "German Post Office".  The DB handled the mail, and Long Lines.

              Can you just IMAGINE our Post Office handling Long Lines???

              On that note, g'night, y'all!

              Tom Scanlan (TV Guy)

              To: coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com
              > From: wftroskey@...
              > Date: Sun, 12 May 2013 19:47:03 +0000
              > Subject: [coldwarcomms] Re: MR AUTOVON

              > Very cool. I just read the preview pages, & it brought back some memories. Markers, register-senders, 5XB's, directionalizing trunks when a switch went down; nice little stroll down memory lane there. The author's name seems familiar too, but not sure if it was from back then or reading about him more recently. Gonna have to buy this one & read the whole thing.
              >

              > I don't know where or how you dig this stuff up, OZOB99, but keep it coming!
              >

              > Bill
              >

              > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "OZOB99" <ozob99@> wrote:
              >

              > > Very interesting book,familiar names & places:
              >

              > > http://books.google.com/books?id=x8CjZF9VkhkC&pg=PT101&lpg=PT101&dq=dca%2Bft+carson&source=bl&ots=ApDfZAsanv&sig=DhjVYZfaWsuAxd79gJiTeXJ1OzQ&hl=en&sa=X&ei=3kKOUaqdE4280QHTiIDQDA&ved=0CDYQ6AEwAjgK

            • Dexter McIntyre W4DEX
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 31, 2013
                tomandsue@... wrote:

                > Donnersberg. Great memories, but same mountain, different tower! In
                > late July, 1969 our outfit (AFTV Germany) televised the activities
                > surrounding, as well as the actual moon landing by Apollo XI and the
                > Moon Walk. It was the first time commercial US Network programming
                > hit European audiences live, and also the first time ever for a live
                > telecast from the US for the troops stationed overseas.

                Tom,

                I was watching the landing from that transmitter in my apartment in
                Morlaurtern, just north of Kaiserslautern. My wife and I had our
                landlord, his wife and mother with us watching the event. Visited
                Ramstein many times. Often to watch the drag races held on an old runway.

                Dex