Re: Fort Carson Status Center

    Message 1 of 7 , May 11, 2013
      The Mr Autovon book reminded me that the DCA western office was at Ft Carson from the early 1960's; no doubt some of the status center people were DCA.

      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 20, 2014
        I recently ran into a LL retire that spent a few months at the Mt Kisco NY Status Center, and confirmed earlier recollections that it was established after the 1961 UT/NV tower bombings to manage,track & help restore "Select Military Circuits" and other priority Gov't service outages; this function was later moved to Ft Carson CO in a joint AT&T,DCA & Western Union Status Center.

        He also stated that Mt Kisco monitored vessels evacuating LL personnel from the Texas Towers during severe storms until they were safely ashore; if Russian trawlers were in the area some of the AF people
        had to stay and keep the enemy off the towers if they tried to climb up.

        Another anecdote was that some of the IT/accounting, & IBM personnel at Mt Kisco(it was a data center) were unaware of the Status Center there as it was in a basement at a far end of the building.

      • cpe122
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 26, 2014
          Anyone know where the Mt. Kisco facility was?

          /cpe

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 28, 2014
            I don't know for sure, but 699 E Main St Mt Kisco, NY 10549 is a likely suspect.