Liberty Dam MD Tropo et al

    Message 1 of 5 , May 9, 2013
      Was a terminal on early(1957)tropo tests from RADC Verona NY; 28' dish, Westinghouse tropo.

      Anyone know of this site(near Baltimore) & whether it was gov't or leased land; probably not an annex of RADC.

      Another tropo terminal new to me was Mt. Rose NJ talking to RADC Forestport NY; same questions for this one.

      Looking for these I found a RADC annex in Carrabelle FL, later transferred to Tyndall AFB.

      Lastly there was a 1961 tropo shot from Ft Wadsworth NY to ? 45 miles away.
    • Mike Doughney
      Message 2 of 5 , May 9, 2013
        I vaguely remember this site as having US Government warning signs on it
        some decades ago.

        7301 Ridge Road, about a half mile WSW from the dam.

        http://goo.gl/maps/G0Tfa

        On 5/9/2013 13:27, OZOB99 wrote:

        > Was a terminal on early(1957)tropo tests from RADC Verona NY; 28'
        > dish, Westinghouse tropo.
        >
        > Anyone know of this site(near Baltimore) & whether it was gov't or
        > leased land; probably not an annex of RADC.
        >
        > Another tropo terminal new to me was Mt. Rose NJ talking to RADC
        > Forestport NY; same questions for this one.
        >
        > Looking for these I found a RADC annex in Carrabelle FL, later
        > transferred to Tyndall AFB.
        >
        > Lastly there was a 1961 tropo shot from Ft Wadsworth NY to ? 45 miles
        > away.

      • albert_lafrance
        Message 3 of 5 , May 9, 2013
          Possibly unrelated, but Liberty Dam was also a microwave repeater site on
          the Washington Area Wideband System (WAWS), a DoD network built by Western
          Union.

          Albert

          > I vaguely remember this site as having US Government warning signs on it
          > some decades ago.
          >
          > 7301 Ridge Road, about a half mile WSW from the dam.
          >
          > http://goo.gl/maps/G0Tfa
          >
          > On 5/9/2013 13:27, OZOB99 wrote:
          >>
          >> Was a terminal on early(1957)tropo tests from RADC Verona NY; 28'
          >> dish, Westinghouse tropo.
          >>
          >> Anyone know of this site(near Baltimore) & whether it was gov't or
          >> leased land; probably not an annex of RADC.
          >>
          >> Another tropo terminal new to me was Mt. Rose NJ talking to RADC
          >> Forestport NY; same questions for this one.
          >>
          >> Looking for these I found a RADC annex in Carrabelle FL, later
          >> transferred to Tyndall AFB.
          >>
          >> Lastly there was a 1961 tropo shot from Ft Wadsworth NY to ? 45 miles
          >> away.

        • ColdWar COMMS
          Message 4 of 5 , May 9, 2013
            Stopped by the Liberty Dam site about a year ago and all that stands is the tower. On the other hand, AT&T still has a large site just up the road on 140 and Tower Road. Still have the blast detection sensor and what appears to be an underground structure. Amazed these facilities don't have more in the way of perimeter security. Thee gate at the AT&T facility in Frederick Co always seems to be open.

            Sent from my iPhone
            Message 5 of 5 , May 9, 2013
              I'm surprised the tower is still there if unmaintained all these years; thanks for the update guys; I didn't realize Finksburg was that close.