Re: Mystery PEF?

  • farrel_becker
    Message 1 of 27 , May 9, 2013
      It's not too difficult to get onto the grounds. I went up there about a year ago to see the Fallen Firefighters memorial. Pull up to the guard shack at the gate. They give you a parking pass and hold your driver's license while you're on the grounds. Just drive over, park and walk around.

      The fiber markers mark the path from there back to Monrovia. It joins/splits off of the Monrovia-BRS2 path just north of Thurmont.

      Farrel

      --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Ken Bowles <ken.dl5bk@...> wrote:

      > I too saw all of this. There was also Transcontinental cable markers
      > coming into the building with the television studios from the south. The
      > markers had been replaced with fiber markers when I was last there several
      > years back. There was an HF antenna on the chapel roof which is also gone.
      >
      > When I first had access to the grounds, the staff denied that there was
      > anything there but during the last couple of visits I was told they were
      > taking members of certain classes into an EOC beneath the chapel.
      >
      > Also, there was a business downtown with a framed picture of the
      > underground being constructed. I can't remember the name of the business.
      >
      > And the entrance was guarded by a "door bell" button and a CATV camera and
      > was located in the area between the library and the chapel, east side.
      >
      > I was in the dorms one night when the facility was apparently activated.
      > Cars crowded the parking area in the vicinity of the administration
      > building and you could see people walking around behind the basement
      > windows of the chapel . . . which I took as kind of a lobby to the
      > underground which I assumed was beneath the lawn.
      >
      > I think I saved a news article somewhere that indicated that on 911 state
      > police were directing traffic at the campus gate and excess cars were
      > parked along the street to the west of the campus.
      >
      > The lawn above the underground is now without any generator stacks,
      > emergency exits, vents, etc. and has been reconstructed to accentuate the
      > National Firemen's Memorial. And there is extraordinary security; guards,
      > fencing; compared to the early days. I now usually park at the small
      > parking lot at the guard house when visiting so the guards don't have to
      > search my vehicle.
      >
      > I think there is evidence on the internet of a NATO bunker in Emmitsburg
      > for upper level NATO officers who happen to be in the DC area when an
      > emergency occurs. I am not convinced that it is/was at NETC. I speculate
      > that it was at another location. Buy I have often been wrong, ha.
      >
      > Ken
      >

      > On Wed, May 8, 2013 at 10:02 PM, wftroskey <wftroskey@...> wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > I had suspected (as had others who had been there) that there was some
      > > type of underground facility under/behind FEMA's National Emergency
      > > Training Center/Emergency Management Institute in Emmittsburg, MD. When I
      > > attended a class there back in the early 90's, there was widespread
      > > speculation regarding several exhaust stacks, hatches, & other evidence of
      > > underground facilities in the large open grass area at the east end of the
      > > campus.
      > >
      > > I don't see any of these features on GE now, or on the historical views,
      > > but I know what I saw. One theory was that it was a PEF, someone else said
      > > that they thought it was the NATO Alternate Command Post. Planning a family
      > > trip out that way this summer - I may just have to go take another look
> [...]
    • unrecognizedresponse
      Message 2 of 27 , Feb 2, 2014

        I don't know if mentioned previously, but I'm looking at an Ofc of Telecom Policy document mentioning Frostburg, MD as the agency relocation site.