Re: K-Hut and Golden Spike Tower pictures between Cheyenne and Laramie

  • cpe122
    Message 1 of 26 , May 6, 2013
      --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "rjfrank1" wrote:

      > The "Church Butte" K hut is located at 41°29'58.73"N, 110° 8'17.52"W.

      I missed the fact that the Old Lincoln Hwy was that far north of I-80!

      > The initial fiber route AT&T deployed between Denver and Salt Lake City traversed Wyoming utilizing the former K-Carrier ROW. I can confirm the McFadden K site location as I have worked in the AT&T facility adjacent to it. I am very certain that Bosler, "Rattlesnake Pass," and "Leroy Exit" are placed at the correct locations along the ROW, though I do not know the historical names of the latter two sites.

      Thanks. We threw names at a alot of these just to keep our sanity as we don't have the actual hut station numbers, and they were so far from I-80 that mile markers had no meaning.

      > I believe the Cheyenne K terminal may have been located at the former Mountain States Telephone & Telegraph Building (1906), 1623 Capitol Avenue.

      I like it (Cheyenne Main is definitely too new!).

      > I would recommend changing the K hut placemark listed on the map as "Riovista" to Green River. The cable route ROW can be followed eastward from the "Little America" K hut to the western edge of Green River near location 41°31'25.95"N, 109°29'5.58"W and does not pass through the James Town/Rio Vista area. Unfortunately, I do not have any historical information where the Laramie, Rawlins, Rock Springs, and Green River K sites may have been located.

      Done. Placeholder renamed and moved to a more interesting location up in 'Telephone Canyon'.

      > As a reference for better understanding the K-carrier route pathway across the western half of Wyoming, review the Lincoln Highway Association map. The K-carrier ROW roughly parallels the Lincoln Highway/US 30 route from Walcott Junction to Evanston. There is a lot of colorful history associated with the construction of this road. Enjoy the website links.
      >
      > http://www.lincolnhighwayassoc.org/map/
      > http://www.wyomingtalesandtrails.com/lincoln.html
      > http://www.wyomingtalesandtrails.com/cheyenne4a.html
      >
      > >RJFrank

      Roger that. I like taking the Lincoln Hwy in OH & IN; much less stressful than I-80/I-90.

      Updated visual:
      http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/display/1367900774-11000-70.16.72.20.html

      /cpe