Re: River Crossings/Maps

  • farrel_becker
    Message 1 of 27 , May 5, 2013
      A photo of a manhole on the Illinois side:

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/dustinholmes/5129651268/in/set-72157626182882107/

      Looking at the bridge in Bing bird's eye, it looks like there are manholes spaced all across the bridge. Was that the case or just at the ends?

      Farrel

      --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Fred <fcwall@...> wrote:

      > The old Chain of Rock Bridge, carried the Chicago - St Louis L-1 6
      > tube coax cable with man hole access to the attachments on the side of
      > the bridge.
      > F red Wall
      >

      > On 4/9/2013 1:07 PM, Thomas Grant wrote:
      > > Go visit the old Chain of Rocks bridge. It carried US Route 66 over the
      > > Mississippi. Today it is a walk path across the river. There are "Bell
      > > System" manhole covers in the bridge deck at regular intervals.
      > >

      > > On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 12:16 PM, David <wb8foz@...> wrote:
      > >
      > >> **
      > >>

      > >> So there's been some discussion about river crossings.
      > >>
      > >> Do we know locations of any of the Mississippi river crossing? I gather
      > >> there are 2 per route, with some distance between them. (How far?)
      > >>
      > >> A friend in St Louis likes to take pictures of the river, and if I could
      > >> get a location, she'd look for line markers.
      > >>
      > >> It looks like the Lillyville-Hillsburo line line crosses somewhere near
      > >> STL, but the only map I found was nationwide and far too poor a resolution
      > >> to tell much.
      > >>
      > >> Given the river there is less than a mile wide, I'd assume they just put a
      > >> repeater vault near each landfall. How deep were the cables trenched in
      > >> the
      > >> bottom? And how did they handle making the splices?
      > >>
      > >> And are their fiber successors trenched, or run along fixed bridges?

    • Thomas Grant
      Message 2 of 27 , May 5, 2013
        All across the bridge at regular intervals.