Re: [coldwarcomms] Re: Tangier Radio Relay System

  • Sheldon Daitch
    Message 1 of 21 , May 3, 2013
      The Tangier RCA site is virtually invisible now, with all the development in the area, according to my contacts in Tangier and looking at the current Google Earth shot, remnants of the old receiver site are visible.  The TX site is gone.

      If you go back to earlier Google Earth photos, say, back to 2003, the RCA operational complex is very visible.

       The RCA transmitter building complex is at:

      35 41 12.74N 5 57 09.37W

      The RCA receiver building complex is at:

      35 41 32.05N  5 57 00.52W

      VOA was in the neighborhood, for pretty much the same reason as RCA, a decent HF propagation path from the US.

      The old VOA Tangier receiving site is at:

      35 43 22.88N  5 52 01.14W

      The old VOA Tangier transmitter site is at:

      35 38 42.16N  5 54 49.25W

      The two VOA sites look pretty much the same in the latest Google Earth shots as they did in the earliest Google Earth shots.  Guess that comes from not have beachfront property.

      Tooting my own horn, here is a link to a number of photos I took at the RCA sites in 2008:

      http://coldwar-c4i.net/TangierRadioRelay/index.html

      73

      Sheldon

      Message 2 of 21 , Jun 4, 2014
        Another article on Tangier radio:

        http://www.vacuumtubeera.net/RadioAge-1954-04.pdf
        Message 3 of 21 , Dec 5, 2014
          More on the NY-Riverhead microwave link:

          http://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Radio-Electronic-Engineering/Radio-Electronic-Engineering-1954-09.pdf

          P 7

          Also note the Lenkurt 72 microwave on cover.
          Message 4 of 21 , Jan 21, 2015