K-Hut - Ft Steele Wy

  • packy41
    Message 1 of 3 , May 2, 2013
      Contrary to what I have seen in my travels, the Fort Steele Wyoming K-Hut has been repurposed by AT&T as a fiber hut. Most that I have seen have been in use by US West/Quest. This Ft Steele one has been retrofitted with modern AC/Heat and a metal roof. Pics are located at:

      Approx location is: N41.75009 W106.94960

      Or on the south side of I80 at the Fort Steele exit (228 IIRC)

      A few cable post markers have "487" attached to them if that means anything to anyone. There is still an old warning sign for tampering with civil/mil comms etc attached to the cattle fence (well faded).
    • rjfrank1@ymail.com
      Message 2 of 3 , May 2, 2013
        Fort Steele is a repeater site on the US West/Qwest/CenturyLink fiber route between Laramie and Rawlins.

        The AT&T ROW passes through the Fort Steele land parcel as indicated by the route markers. However, the nearest AT&T sites deployed along the ROW are located at Walcott and Rawlins, to the east & west, respectively, of the Fort Steele site location.

        --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "packy41" <packy41@...> wrote:

        > Contrary to what I have seen in my travels, the Fort Steele Wyoming K-Hut has been repurposed by AT&T as a fiber hut. Most that I have seen have been in use by US West/Quest. This Ft Steele one has been retrofitted with modern AC/Heat and a metal roof. Pics are located at:

        > Approx location is: N41.75009 W106.94960
        >
        > Or on the south side of I80 at the Fort Steele exit (228 IIRC)
        >
        > A few cable post markers have "487" attached to them if that means anything to anyone. There is still an old warning sign for tampering with civil/mil comms etc attached to the cattle fence (well faded).

      • cpe122
        Message 3 of 3 , May 6, 2013
          --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "packy41" <packy41@...> wrote:

          > Contrary to what I have seen in my travels, the Fort Steele Wyoming K-Hut has been repurposed by AT&T as a fiber hut. Most that I have seen have been in use by US West/Quest. This Ft Steele one has been retrofitted with modern AC/Heat and a metal roof. Pics are located at:

          Most pleasant looking regen ever made!

          > Approx location is: N41.75009 W106.94960
          >
          > Or on the south side of I80 at the Fort Steele exit (228 IIRC)

          Indeed it is exit 228.

          > A few cable post markers have "487" attached to them if that means anything to anyone. There is still an old warning sign for tampering with civil/mil comms etc attached to the cattle fence (well faded).

          487, nope. If you ever see any building or "door" numbers, I'd love to hear about/see pictures of them. We have almost none of the names/numbers for the ones in WY.

          The next one east would be nice to see and confirm; it's south of I-80 on the Rattlesnake Pass Rd.

          /cpe

          K route through the State of WY:
          http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/display/1367892554-07446-70.16.72.20.html
          Still looking to confirm the pink ones.