Re: New to group and questions about repeater huts - Map included - more info

    Message 1 of 42 , Apr 30, 2013
      > The "tandem"/double door configuration of the huts suggest either: 1) the huts were added onto (for N carrier?), or 2) the huts were designed for two tenants: LL (with their L carrier), Southern Bell (with their N carrier?)--note it's unlikely they would have shared keys (they didn't in my area).

      The "tandem"/double door configuration of
      the huts suggest either: 1) the huts were added onto (for N carrier?), or 2) the
      huts were designed for two tenants: LL (with their L carrier), Southern Bell
      (with their N carrier?)--note it's unlikely they would have shared keys (they
      didn't in my area).

      Highly unlikely!; station keys were tightly controlled due to company physical security policy in general & Federal statutes/requirements in particular; most stations had important gov't circuits on the carriers.

      In the LL Washington Division the "KL10" key fit all the K,L,R stations in DC,MD,VA & WV; not something you could allow getting in the wrong hands.

      There may have been some exceptions in short haul routes where the keys were only for specific joint maintained stations with LL & a Bell Co. IIRC this was the case in a joint owned N route from Richmond to Newport News/Hampton/Norfolk; LL in the late 1950's maintained the western section and C&P Telco the Eastern section.
      Message 42 of 42 , Apr 30, 2013