Re: [coldwarcomms] NAVRADSTA (T) SITE - JIM CREEK WA

  • couryhousesmecc
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 27, 2013
      Nick! amazing! is it VLF LF or HF?

      In a message dated 4/27/2013 11:40:11 A.M. Mountain Standard Time,
      navy.radio@... writes:

      From 0:33 to 0:44 you can see a very cool (and rare) TT-71/UG projection
      teletype in operation - a Model 15 TTY prints onto a roll of acetate
      running through an overhead projector mechanism.

      Another newsreel video on Jim Creek with additional views is at
      http://www.britishpathe.com/video/navy-transmitter

      And I have several magazine articles scanned and linked at
      http://www.navy-radio.com/commsta/jimcreek.htm

      The Jim Creek VLF transmitter is still operational and its signals are also
      used by some folks doing geophysical research. I got e-mail from one of
      these researchers recently asking me why Jim Creek was off the air. (I
      dunno - www.navy-radio.com is just a hobby site - nothing official). But
      since Google is My Friend (tm), I found the phone number for the
      transmitter control desk. No answer but I got a call back shortly asking
      why I had called that number. They wouldn't comment on operations, but now
      I'm on someone's list no doubt.
      Cheers,
      Nick
      www.navy-radio.com

      On Sat, Apr 27, 2013 at 8:52 AM, OZOB99 <ozob99@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > A video on the dedication:
      >
      > http://archive.org/details/LargestR1950

    • Nick England
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 28, 2013
        1 MW, around 17 kc

        Nick
        (phone email acct)

        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 28, 2013
          Nick - ok that talks to the subs to right!?

          Ed#

          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 28, 2013
            I found a patent drawing & details of this projection unit:

            http://www.freepatentsonline.com/2405168.pdf

            http://www.freepatentsonline.com/2405168.html

            --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Nick England <navy.radio@...> wrote:

            > From 0:33 to 0:44 you can see a very cool (and rare) TT-71/UG projection
            > teletype in operation - a Model 15 TTY prints onto a roll of acetate
            > running through an overhead projector mechanism.
            >
            > Another newsreel video on Jim Creek with additional views is at
            > http://www.britishpathe.com/video/navy-transmitter
            >
            > And I have several magazine articles scanned and linked at
            > http://www.navy-radio.com/commsta/jimcreek.htm
            >
            > The Jim Creek VLF transmitter is still operational and its signals are also
            > used by some folks doing geophysical research. I got e-mail from one of
            > these researchers recently asking me why Jim Creek was off the air. (I
            > dunno - www.navy-radio.com is just a hobby site - nothing official). But
            > since Google is My Friend (tm), I found the phone number for the
            > transmitter control desk. No answer but I got a call back shortly asking
            > why I had called that number. They wouldn't comment on operations, but now
            > I'm on someone's list no doubt.
            > Cheers,
            > Nick
            > www.navy-radio.com
            >

            > On Sat, Apr 27, 2013 at 8:52 AM, OZOB99 <ozob99@...> wrote:
            >
            > > **
            > >

            > > A video on the dedication:
            > >
            > > http://archive.org/details/LargestR1950

          • dlwilson314a
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 29, 2013
              It has not been on 17.8 kHz in years. It now uses 24.8 kHz with 200 Bd MSK. NAA in Cutler, ME uses 24.0 kHz and NML4 in LaMoure, ND uses 24.8 kHz (yes, a USN VLF station in ND). The USN TACAMO aircraft are also regularly heard and most often on 17.8 kHz (the old NAA frequency) or 22. kHz-though sometimes on other frequencies. NPM in Lualualei, HI uses 21.4 kHz (NSS in Annapolis used that before it shut down)and NWC in Exmourth (Northe West Cape), Australia uses 19.8 kHz. These are the current USN VLF (under 30 kHz) frequencies.

              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 29, 2013
                22.1 kHz below was meant to be 21.6 kHz.

                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 29, 2013
                  Oops that was meant to be 22.6 kHz. (Sorry for all the typos before I finally woke up.) another correction is that NML4 LaMoure ND uses 25.2 kHz (not 24.8 KHz). Also the 17.8 kHz was last used by Cutler ME (NAA) and 18.6 kHz was the frequency of NLK Jim Creek, WA before it moved to 24.8 kHz; it is ocassionally used by TACAMO aircraft).

                  Here is correct (and proof-read list)of *current* activity of USN VLF (below 30 kHz)
                  17.8 TACAMO aircraft (was NAA)
                  18.6 TACAMO aircraft (was NLK)
                  19.8 NWC Exmouth, Australia
                  21.4 NPM Lualualei, HI (NPM was 23.4. NSS Annapolis was 21.4 before shutdown)
                  22.6 TACAMO aircraft
                  (23.4 was NPM Lualualei, HI--now 23.4 id used by Germany)
                  24.0 NAA Cutler, ME (NAA was 17.8. NBA Panama used 24.0 before shutdown)
                  24.8 NLK Jim Creek, WA
                  25.2 NML4 LaMoure, ND (former Omega navagation site)
                  (Note TACAMO aircraft come up for a few minutes at a time with several tests a week.)

                  --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "dlwilson314a" <dwilson314@...> wrote:

                  > 22.1 kHz below was meant to be 21.6 kHz.
                  >
                  > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "dlwilson314a" <dwilson314@> wrote:
                  > >

                  > > It has not been on 17.8 kHz in years. It now uses 24.8 kHz with 200 Bd MSK. NAA in Cutler, ME uses 24.0 kHz and NML4 in LaMoure, ND uses 24.8 kHz (yes, a USN VLF station in ND). The USN TACAMO aircraft are also regularly heard and most often on 17.8 kHz (the old NAA frequency) or 22. kHz-though sometimes on other frequencies. NPM in Lualualei, HI uses 21.4 kHz (NSS in Annapolis used that before it shut down)and NWC in Exmourth (North West Cape), Australia uses 19.8 kHz. These are the current USN VLF (under 30 kHz) frequencies.
                  > >
                  > > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Nick England <navy.radio@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > 1 MW, around 17 kc
                  > > >
                  > > > Nick
                  > > > (phone email acct)

                • coloradoredlands
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 29, 2013
                    Besides these VLF's are there any remaining USN or USAF LF freqs?

                    Chris
                    Colorado

                    Message 9 of 11 , May 1, 2013
                      A print article on the opening: