Aircraft 800 HZ AC Power(was Re: Stanfield, NC status)

    Message 1 of 61 , Apr 27, 2013
      > I believe there were a few avionics devices that used 800 hz, at
      > least back in the 50's-60's.

      I ran across this page on the inverter; one A/C with 800 HZ AC was the Martin P5M:

      http://aafradio.org/docs/800-1.htm

      Lots of other vintage gear used into the Cold War at this site; check out "old crows" & "flight deck".
      Message 61 of 61 , Oct 2, 2013

         It's a little OT but plenty of photo space so i'll post it under  "Avionics Aux Power Units" in case any others turn up.

        ---In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, <coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        Upload it here, please!

        Mike

        At 12:52 PM 10/2/2013, you wrote:

         I have located a photo of the Consolidated Diesel Electric NC-5 if anyone wants to host it or receive the file.(this is different from the aircraft tug they made)

        ---In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, <coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, W4DEX Dexter McIntyre
        <dmcintyre@...> wrote:

        > ozob99 wrote:
        > > I recall a GR circuit at Stanfield along with Florence &

        Charleston so
        > > I'm assuming it was Scope Light; what other a/g networks used
        > > Stanfield as a GEP?; and the UHF & MUX gear?
        > >

        > Nightwatch and Scope Light at Stanfield. Same Collins 400 cycle AC
        > powered radios as used on the aircraft. 400 cycle AC initially

        derived
        > from a Hobart motor/generator powered from dedicated 152 volt

        battery
        > plant. Hobart was replaced by a solid state DC to AC inverter made

        by
        > Avetel Corp of West Covina, CA. Hardened antennas by Bogner I

        belive it
        > was. Linkhurt MUX. Echo Fox was at the Charlotte, NC Graniteville

        office.

        > Dexter

        OK, thanks; seems most locations had same gear as the A/C and the
        transportable vans. I think in the early years ECI made the mux.

        I used to drive one of those 400 HZ APU trucks around the flight line
        for radio maintenance(Consolidated Diesel Electric NC-5).

        I believe there were a few avionics devices that used 800 hz, at
        least back in the 50's-60's.

          Mike Cowen      Practice random acts of kindness
                                      and selfless acts of beauty.
         mcowen@...            -Anonymous