Re: [coldwarcomms] Sugar Grove Shuts, Joining Yakima

  • Frank Helton
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 25, 2013
      John, you are so unknowing, it's a) sad and b) funny.

      Tell us something that we don't already know!

      Frank
      USAF 66-74
      USAFSS 72-74
      TSGT 304X4

      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 27, 2013
        Hi Frank,

        As a mere grunt who got the boot for being physically defective [genetic gimpiness], I hesitate to ask this, because I do not want to sound like I am questioning the authority of an Officer.

        But, I am confused... First you say John is "unknowing," but then you say you already know everything he said, implying that you agree with it. Which is it?

        Personally, I enjoy reading John's posts. Not everyone agrees on everything, or shares the same point of view. That is what makes the internet more interesting than TV [for now].

        Jim Bennett
        Speaking from a secure undisclosed location.

        --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Helton" <f_helton@...> wrote:

        > John, you are so unknowing, it's a) sad and b) funny.
        >
        > Tell us something that we don't already know!
        >
        > Frank
        > USAF 66-74
        > USAFSS 72-74
        > TSGT 304X4

      • Frank Helton
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 27, 2013
          Not an officer here, Jim, "I worked for a living" per the old saying. I was
          just a little put off at the time by the "old guard and its befuddled
          recruits" and "zealous protectors" rhetoric, but no biggie. In hindsight,
          to have reacted at all was inappropriate for this forum.

          Frank

          As a mere grunt who got the boot for being physically defective [genetic
          gimpiness], I hesitate to ask this, because I do not want to sound like I am
          questioning the authority of an Officer.

          But, I am confused... First you say John is "unknowing," but then you say
          you already know everything he said, implying that you agree with it. Which
          is it?

          Personally, I enjoy reading John's posts. Not everyone agrees on
          everything, or shares the same point of view. That is what makes the
          internet more interesting than TV [for now].

          Jim Bennett
          Speaking from a secure undisclosed location.

          --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Helton" <f_helton@...> wrote:

          > John, you are so unknowing, it's a) sad and b) funny.
          >
          > Tell us something that we don't already know!
          >
          > Frank
          > USAF 66-74
          > USAFSS 72-74
          > TSGT 304X4

        • ajbtelecom
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 27, 2013
            Frank,

            It's all good. This is the open discussion that our founding fathers intended, because as they understood, the truth usually lies somewhere in the middle. The "two sides of the aisle" syndrome that the country is enduring these days is really not new at all, and it actually still seems to be working OK, even if it does seem overblown sometimes.

            At the end of the day, I would not want to be governed by either extreme: Having Abbie Hoffman's people running the show would be equally as horrible as having Joseph McCarthy's people at the helm. Most of the country, thankfully, reside somewhere between those two endpoints, and hopefully the most reasonable of them have the important jobs: Making the real decisions that count, based on real world knowledge and experience.

            As far as working for a living, I can certainly relate to that. A lot of people here worked on things that were truly huge, stuff that they still aren't allowed to talk about. Others have such a wealth of technical knowledge and skill that I would get an inferiority complex if I wasn't insulated by my huge ego :^) Then I remember the old saying: All jobs need to be done, and they need to be done well. However small my contribution was[1], I am proud to have done something to help advance the technology that makes this conversation possible.

            [1] Tending to the more menial aspects of growing and doping amorphous silicon, which tends to involve breathing toxic nasties and risking hell fire. Trust me, there is a reason we don't do much of that in this country anymore. I don't miss trying to teach summer interns the proper handling procedures for pyrophoric gasses.

            Jim Bennett
            Speaking from a secure undisclosed location.

            --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Helton" <f_helton@...> wrote:

            > Not an officer here, Jim, "I worked for a living" per the old saying. I was
            > just a little put off at the time by the "old guard and its befuddled
            > recruits" and "zealous protectors" rhetoric, but no biggie. In hindsight,
            > to have reacted at all was inappropriate for this forum.
            >
            > Frank

          • John Young
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 27, 2013
              My mouse has been soap-washed.

              In US Army 53-56, loved it, GI Bill sent me to college.
              Should have stayed in, retired after 20 or 30, instead
              of still working, very slowly, after almost 60 of civvy.
              Yeah, I know it's boing to excuse loose lip bowels to
              being old. But really old is a war story you gotta put
              up with.

              Thank you for your service, Frank. And you others
              with MOS'es beyond my grade. May not believe it, but
              I'm still a die-hard grunt fan, still bitching about moping
              brass's puke.

              At 10:36 AM 4/27/2013, you wrote:

              >Not an officer here, Jim, "I worked for a living" per the old saying. I was
              >just a little put off at the time by the "old guard and its befuddled
              >recruits" and "zealous protectors" rhetoric, but no biggie. In hindsight,
              >to have reacted at all was inappropriate for this forum.
              >
              >Frank
            • Frank Helton
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 27, 2013
                Just to set the "working for a living" thing straight, Jim - the divide
                between officer and enlisted was pronounced. So when you referred to me as
                an "officer", I just wanted to make it clear that I was an enlisted man, an
                NCO, not a commissioned officer. That was just a humorous way of putting
                it.

                And thanks for your thoughts, John.